Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Emmy Award Winning Composer to Score Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageEmmy Award Winning Composer to Score Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

Around the Verse explores the art and tech behind the score for Squadron 42. Composer Geoff Zanelli (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, The Pacific, Outlander) walks us through his process, while Ross Tregenza and Lee Banyard discuss the technical challenges for the CIG Audio team. Sandi Gardiner and Josh Herman host this week’s episode, which also includes an update with Brian Chambers from Foundry 42 in Germany.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    I know some will complain about the cost... but SQ42 is the whole reason I backed this game and I personally think this is AWESOME news!!

Now if they would just RELEASE the damn thing...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    No expense spared.

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Too bad they don't spend any money on making the game. They got all the Star Wars actors to do voice overs because Roberts was obsessed with trying to be the next Lucas. SC will be an even bigger failure than his movie making carer was though. This is one hell of an expensive fantasy you guys have financed for him. I hope it was worth it. I thought SQ42 was supposed to be out already anyway?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    donger56 said:
     SC will be an even bigger failure than his movie making carer was though. This is one hell of an expensive fantasy you guys have financed for him. I hope it was worth it. I thought SQ42 was supposed to be out already anyway?
    I'm such a Wing Commander fan that I didn't hate the movie... and even liked the score!

https://youtu.be/cohxgOVcK8E?t=130

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Coolies.
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Sounds more like a waste of money, i can gets on Reasons and make a musical score for a game, this isn't the 90's where you needed a stereo sound board and a padded noise proof room.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Eh, not what I would want my crowdfunding developer to spend extra cash on.

With so much scope to get into the game, an Emmy-winning composer seems like a silly waste of PR space, at best.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited February 2017
    That's great.  Let's hope they remember to remove the watermark this time.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    ...... Nah never mind this is just too easy now
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

Eh, not what I would want my crowdfunding developer to spend extra cash on.

With so much scope to get into the game, an Emmy-winning composer seems like a silly waste of PR space, at best.

Meh. Not to mock the man's career as he's doing ok, even if he is an Emmy-winning composer, he's hardly John Williams or Hans Zimmer caliber. And I'm sure that's reflected in his price tag.

PR buzz to make his scoring the game seem bigger news than it actually is, and more troll fodder to make it seem like backer money is being wasted on an extravagance instead of just a normal Joe music dude.

As per usual nothing to see here, move along.

Normal joe music guy would be one of the CIG in house audio guys using Cubase or Avid Pro Tools to score the game. An extravagance would be hiring an Emmy award winning composer.

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Will it be a funeral march?
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

Will it be a funeral march?

lol
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Check out this site:

http://filmandgamecomposers.com/guides/how-much-should-i-charge-to-compose-music/

Will give you a broad idea of possible costs involved.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited February 2017
    I love OST's on games, the best SQ42's can get the better for me. Overall they promised a full orchestral score for both Star Citizen and SQ42 per stretch goal.

Let the haters hate! The narrative here is one day "SC is out of money, doom approaches", the other is "Oh look SC has money to waste on this stuff".

So flippant lol

donger56 said:
    Too bad they don't spend any money on making the game.
    I know right! :D
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    MaxBacon said:
    I love OST's on games, the best SQ42's can get the better for me. Overall they promised a full orchestral score for both Star Citizen and SQ42 per stretch goal.

Let the haters hate! The narrative here is one day "SC is out of money, doom approaches", the other is "Oh look SC has money to waste on this stuff".

So flippant lol

donger56 said:
    Too bad they don't spend any money on making the game.
    I know right! :D
    Well, the next logical step is "SC is out of money because they're wasting it on this extravagance !"

I mean, the writing is on the wall, they're so broke they even have to resort to stealing $5 graphic images ! :lol:

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    donger56 said:
     SC will be an even bigger failure than his movie making carer was though. This is one hell of an expensive fantasy you guys have financed for him. I hope it was worth it. I thought SQ42 was supposed to be out already anyway?
    I'm such a Wing Commander fan that I didn't hate the movie... and even liked the score!

https://youtu.be/cohxgOVcK8E?t=130

I liked the movie too and would love to see another!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    edited February 2017
    "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales"...
    So they guy knows how to copy/paste from the best.
    Will fit right in...
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    What i took form that was ..
    1 We are reworking weapons so we can buff the future and present cash shop.This to me will be obvious so they can get around the lie that the game won't be p2w.

2 Art team is working just now on stuff i thought would have been done from day 1,so wtf have they been doing the last 2-3 years?It almost sounds like they just opened up the particle effects section of the engine last couple days.

The rest of the video was too boring for me to continue watching.I bet i can sum up this so called expert music score dude in one word....HORNS,i bet he obviously uses horns because that is a common trend with space environments.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.