Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conan Exiles launches with "mixed reviews"

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited February 2017
    I don't think they care about harsh reviews because they can blame it on early access and the possibility the problem will be addressed at some future date. There are more benefits than disadvantages to Early Access.
    Post edited by kitarad on

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    way i look at it is down to the cost of the game
    nowadays a full released game is about $30 or so with discounts
    So charging $30 for an alpha game no matter what  you write about it been EA will lead to complaints
    I personally do not mind EA if i am interested in the game.I did H1Z1 for months and felt i got my gameplay out  of it 
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    edited February 2017

ste2000 said:
    An Early Access game should be a complete functional game almost fully polished, not an Alpha version of the game.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    No.  The point is Steam specifically has a description that I posted above explaining exactly what Early Access means for Steam.  The responsibility is upon the  consumer 100% to be fully aware of what they  are actually paying for at that time.  Any expectation in purchasing a game on Steam in Early Access should be one that is in heavy development.  There is no wiggle room and no allowance for any other interpretation.  None.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited February 2017

ste2000 said:
    An Early Access game should be a complete functional game almost fully polished, not an Alpha version of the game.
    I don't care about the definition, I know what EA games are.
    You missed my "should" apparently.

That's a definition that Steam pulled out of its arse, because before Early Access meant a few weeks Head Start (which is what it should be), they basically hijacked the definition and turned the EA into this pile of BS.

Anyway, just because it is a well accepted (and convenient) business model within the industry, it doesn't make it right, and although I am not an expert I suspect that it is not even legal.
    But as no one ever challenged this business model yet, companies are free to exploit it to the full.

They should call most of those games for what they are, Alpha Access or Beta Access, but I bet if they use this definition they won't get as many sales.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited February 2017
    ste2000 said:

ste2000 said:

That's a definition that Steam pulled out of its arse, because before Early Access meant a few weeks Head Start (which is what it should be), they basically hijacked the definition and turned the EA into this pile of BS.

Anyway, just because it is a well accepted (and convenient) business model within the industry, it doesn't make it right, and although I am not an expert I suspect that it is not even legal.
    But as no one ever challenged this business model yet, companies are free to exploit it to the full.

They should call most of those games for what they are, Alpha Access or Beta Access, but I bet if they use this definition they won't get as many sales.

Steam defines EA in a manner that lets them sell sh!t and make money off of it.

One reason I don't buy from Steam.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited February 2017
    I was interested in Exiles and still am but just not as much, on the fence. First it's EA so... it's anyone's guess if it will ever officially release, it's Funcom so they definitely get my benefit of the doubt. Second, was a little alarmed at how similar it is to Ark, I'm already burnt out on ARK and it's not even released, this did not help my desire to grab Exiles at this time. But again, it's Funcom, most respected gaming studio there is, so keeping watch.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Way to early to draw conclusions.  Especially on launch day.  Everyone knows there are gonna be issues.  I'm willing to bet there were a bunch of fanboys and haters chomping at the bit to load up and rush to the reviews.

Give it  few weeks, then you'll start getting better reviews that are a bit more thought out.
    FYI - There was no launch day.
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Distopia said:
    Distopia said:

This would break it for me. There is forced voice communication in this? Or is this an optional thing? I hate hearing people talk in games, its the most immersion thing to come to gaming experience possible. I don't even like to hear people talk in MMOs.

And the MMOs that force you to use it (for raids or PvP), I say I'm deaf and can't hear anyone and hearing aids don't work for me. I know that might be wrong to people who are truly deaf, but its literally the only thing one can say if they don't want to be forced to use voice chat in a game.
    You can turn that off ( mute the voice chat volume) there is in game txt chat if you prefer that route. 
    awesome! :D That is good. The poster I quoted made it sound like it was a forced thing that couldn't be turned off.
    Agreed I hate most voice chat. Being forced would be a deal breaker for me as well.
    That would make for some good entertainment value... seeing a bunch of mutes jumping around naked and acting stupid. Doesn't really make for good game play though.

I prefer assigning my own voices to people when I read their text in games. The problem is, people with mics almost refuse to type anything in the goddamned chat box, ignore people who do type and basically form their own little "cliques" acting deaf and blind towards anyone else.

I muted mic chat and it was a verrrrrrrrrry lonely experience. Out of 70 people on, only 1 other bothered typing anything.

So no, it's not required, but if you want any form of interaction with anyone in the game, you need to keep it on or you just become a "second class citizen" to everyone else.
  • CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    edited February 2017
    Kyleran said:
    ste2000 said:

ste2000 said:

Well good for you...the fact is steam couldn't  care less what you or a few others on site like this think.  You are clearly not their audience and clearly in the minority when it comes to gaming TODAY.  At least those like you have a safe space here at mmorpg to complain everyday about video games. 
    Post edited by Crusadecrusher on
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Kyleran said:
    ste2000 said:

ste2000 said:

Well good for you...the fact is steam could care less what you or a few others on site like this think.  You are clearly not their audience and clearly in the minority when it comes to gaming TODAY.  At least those like you have a safe space here at mmorpg to complain everyday about video games. 
    If they "could care less" that means that they care somewhat...
  • MorpayneMorpayne Member UncommonPosts: 21
    if you've played both Conan and ARK you need to be honest with yourself and admit that eventually, Conan will replace its predecessor as the go-to survival game. Its that good.

That being said, its pretty damn rough around the edges at the moment but to be fair, it is EA.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited February 2017
    The concept of the game is great, I do like it...

But here are the complaints.

1.) Denuvo causing performance issues      > Doesn't link people to denuvo F.A.Q
    2.) Battleye, Anti Cheat required                    > Not disclosed on the Conan Exiles Buy Page.

3.) Private Hosted Servers rather than a MMO?
    What sucks is you create a character, and it stays on a server if the server ever goes down, or its full and you can't get in forget it...

If you ask me what FunCom needs to do is scrap the current game, and make it more like a MMORPG, private servers could still be a thing if people want maybe a possibility, but I would rather be able to log into my character any time I want 100% chance to get in and play there is no reason why this game shouldn't be like this Instead FunCom is taking the cheap away about it telling people to run their own servers for the game, and Over-All due to this I don't think its going to be very popular....

I just have no faith in FunCom, making a good MMORPG after what I call their last two failures.
    Kyleran said:
    ste2000 said:

ste2000 said:

Well good for you...the fact is steam could care less what you or a few others on site like this think.  You are clearly not their audience and clearly in the minority when it comes to gaming TODAY.  At least those like you have a safe space here at mmorpg to complain everyday about video games. 
    LOL, welcome to my house

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    ste2000 said:

ste2000 said:

LOL, welcome to my house
    Pretty sad you are so happy and think you are somehow cool by complaining about video games all day every day in your little safe space. 

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    They obviously don't care about the reviews because they probably don't plan on sticking with this game long term. Just like with Lego Minifigures they will make it, collect $$$ then move on to a new project.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    BruceYee said:
    They obviously don't care about the reviews because they probably don't plan on sticking with this game long term. Just like with Lego Minifigures they will make it, collect $$$ then move on to a new project.
    Which is sad because I really love the concept of the game looks great, Great to have a game that finally supports cave-men lol and not like Rust with censorship.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I have 6 hours on record right now. All of that to my surprise has been spent in single player mode. I bought this with the intent of playing online only but I'm not the greatest at survival games so wanted to get my feet wet before I went into pvp land. I found the game very fun, not as tedious as other survivals, might be because of the setting and the lore behind it but it just seems very fitting. Havent had any AI issues, lag, anything overly complicated. Only thing that happened was I started building myself a house against a giant tree, when I logged back in the tree was gone but where it was located it actually freed up a ton of space to make my structure bigger so it lost a cool look but created an area for me to expand my build. So good and bad I guess? lol.

Seems a lot of the issues people are having are only due to online play, ill give that some time until fixed, right now I'm enjoying solo play. Best thing I can say is if you want to play get it with the intent of learning the ropes by yourself or toughing it out with server issues for short term or waiting a month or so for those issues to be fixed then grab it.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2017
    NEXTLEVL said:
    As is the problem with Early Access, people always expecting a live server rendition.
    While I agree that Early Access has become a problem, I believe the fault lies squarely with the industry developers/publishers, not the players.

If you're going to sell something, folks expect a certain level of quality.  No one forced anybody to buy into Early Access, but nobody forced the developer/publisher to offer the game in its current form, either.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

ste2000 said:
    While I understand and respect your perspective Potted, that definition is as ambiguous as any other.

Development could simply mean class balancing feedback, or it could mean building core game systems from the ground up.

And the part about games as services made me cringe...  Show me another service where the producer gets you to buy in before the scope of the product they're offering is even nailed down..  There's a reason that, traditionally, the person buying in during that transaction stands to gain on eventual profits.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited February 2017
    Lerxst said:
    Distopia said:
    Distopia said:

This would break it for me. There is forced voice communication in this? Or is this an optional thing? I hate hearing people talk in games, its the most immersion thing to come to gaming experience possible. I don't even like to hear people talk in MMOs.

And the MMOs that force you to use it (for raids or PvP), I say I'm deaf and can't hear anyone and hearing aids don't work for me. I know that might be wrong to people who are truly deaf, but its literally the only thing one can say if they don't want to be forced to use voice chat in a game.
    You can turn that off ( mute the voice chat volume) there is in game txt chat if you prefer that route. 
    awesome! :D That is good. The poster I quoted made it sound like it was a forced thing that couldn't be turned off.
    Agreed I hate most voice chat. Being forced would be a deal breaker for me as well.
    That would make for some good entertainment value... seeing a bunch of mutes jumping around naked and acting stupid. Doesn't really make for good game play though.

I prefer assigning my own voices to people when I read their text in games. The problem is, people with mics almost refuse to type anything in the goddamned chat box, ignore people who do type and basically form their own little "cliques" acting deaf and blind towards anyone else.

I muted mic chat and it was a verrrrrrrrrry lonely experience. Out of 70 people on, only 1 other bothered typing anything.

So no, it's not required, but if you want any form of interaction with anyone in the game, you need to keep it on or you just become a "second class citizen" to everyone else.
    Just curious because of a project I'm working on, what if everyone talked through their characters? Meaning your voice was translated into a voice of your choosing. Not voice modulation.

On topic I don't think people with unreasonable expectations should get to write a bad review for a game. Used, refurbished, alpha, beta, early access (EA has meant something else in gaming for a long time). These indicate the level of quality you can expect from a product. If you can't understand that then keep it to yourself. It's like someone bought WoW thinking it was an RTS and down voted it.

The recent reviews function on steam can help in this kind of situation though.

People who down voted Fragmented because it's not The Repop should also have their reviews removed, reviews aren't meant to be a system to vent your frustrations. 

Steam really should have the user acknowledge the fact it's an EA game before buying like an EULA, and have specific details on that game from the developer as to what to expect, because Early Access doesn't seem to have a set meaning in terms of the level of development of the game.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Many people believe that Early Access is equivalent to Pre Release (this might not be the correct term), meaning those who go first (Pre Boarding in airports) the week before a game releases to the public.  They don't understand that they are paying to play during development.

Everyone, what is the correct term for the time before retail release when early adopters start laying the game?  This is usually after Beta ends and the final server wipe happens.

Early Access should be renamed Alpha Access, Development Access, Build  Access.  There is an Early Access Banner explaining what is EA.  But I realise many don't bother to read that.

Weathe I am on Steam or Amazon or anywhere, I start with the one star, bad reviews.  Many are complaining about performance and lag.  They probably haven't gone into the settings and turned anything down to low yet.  That may not even help.  Other games, made by competent developers, have no lower settings.  Developer build on high end rigs.  Their lower settings are theoretical, and if they are not careful, will not work.

This feels more like the game I wanted Age of Conan to be from the start.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    ste2000 said:

ste2000 said:

LOL, welcome to my house
    Pretty sad you are so happy and think you are somehow cool by complaining about video games all day every day in your little safe space. 

When you sit as high up on the horse as I do, no need to worry about being cool. :p

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    If it didnt have dongs and tacos it would be a negative rating.
  • Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Forgrimm said:
    <SNIP>
    If they "could care less" that means that they care somewhat...
    Forgrimm.... THANK YOU.. one of my pet peeves.