Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Day Break Owns DDO & LOTRO???

MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
So Standing Stone Games broke off from turbine and are being published by DayBreak and they took DDO and LOTRO? Sooooo what does this mean? I tried to look through the news did i miss something this seems big for mmo's. 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Standing Stone Games is made up of people who used to work on LOTRO and DDO.  DayBreak does not own LOTRO or DDO. They are simply the publishers of the two games. 
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited January 2017
    It means Warner Brothers wanted their own brand, albeit a new one, on the intellectual property license they own.  It also gave them a reason to shut down the Asheron's Call IP.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    SSG is using Daybreak as a publisher. DayBreak most certainly does NOT own these titles. That does not mean Daybreak can't give SSG a hard time when it comes to generating revenue but these titles are not theirs.

Worst case scenario Daybreak and SSG go their separate ways with SSG having to shop around for a new publisher.

And yes, it is pretty big news. Bigger even since LotRO seems to be getting a lot more love and attention then before with more time and money being invested into it again. I don't know enough about DDO to comment on that one.

Hope that explains things a bit.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Has any one heard of what WB wants to do next? I mean the matrix didn't last long and i was excited for that game. 

• MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Any idea if these studios being added to the Day Break umbrella will help EQ at all ?

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    flizzer said:
    Standing Stone Games is made up of people who used to work on LOTRO and DDO.  DayBreak does not own LOTRO or DDO. They are simply the publishers of the two games. 
    I would never use the words 'simply' and 'publisher' together. ;-)

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    The role of publisher is a bit hazy these days since people stopped buying boxed games. Even more so for older games, since the publisher is mainly responsible for advertising, marketing, websites, etc. while Turbine had already done all that, and SSG still runs the site. Also with a new release the publisher has an absolute ton of control since they can dictate all sorts of things on the condition of getting the game published in the first place.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    lahnmir said:
    And yes, it is pretty big news. Bigger even since LotRO seems to be getting a lot more love and attention then before with more time and money being invested into it again. I don't know enough about DDO to comment on that one.
    Seems to be the case on DDO too. They are aiming for 5 updates this year, with one being "Expansion" sized. Last year we got 4 normal updates.

The DDO team have had a pretty good track record on delivering on promises up until now, so I have no reason to think, right now, that they wont actually also deliver that.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    ddo and lotro are doomed to cease to desist from existing, the games are wayyy too hyped they couldn't possibly live up to players' expectations. Daybreak will milk their cows and butcher them for stew meat at first sign of trouble, do not try these games out, i repeat, do not bother.
    daybreak has a proven track record of olympic gold medals at losing players, 1972 at munich style, all the wrong decisions like going f2p with humongously p2w cash shops, are the direct fault of daybreak. When you think about it these old games with outdated graphics and lame pvp have suffered so much under daybreak, the business model is so cruel to players, across your entire existence in the game you will be asked to cash out some moolah to travel to bree faster or to get a 100percent crit chance on your crafted eggs and bacon. That's just the beginning. 

The game has smoking and drinking so it's not suitable for children or people under the age of 42.
    also elves and dwarves are gender specific, wth, why can't i play a female dwarf like in archeage? the good thing about archeage is thier marriage system, and don't tell me it's lore breaking, if you hadn't slept through the epilogue of the return of the king you would know that same sex marriage is canon.
    the horse manes are terrible looking and that's just lotro, ddo doesn't even have mounts, not that anyone cares about ddo, neverwinter is one of top tier games in the market today and is a direct competitor to ddo.
    Thanks daybreak.
    Also what will happen to the lotro and ddo licenses? obviously daybreak only bought them to make a sandbox survival game in mordor, which will obviously fail because mordor is ugly and lacks elves, which is the only good race in lotro, they should add cat ears to them to make them better tbh.
    ijs none of that even matters because the mordor sandbox won't even ever be released in early access, they'll just try to get as much of our money as possible from early access preorders and then we'll get no man's sky 2.0.

mmorpgs like lotro and ddo aren't going out of style btw, there's still so much you can do with these types of games, it's just developers these days don't know how to make good games, they just want a quick buck and then realize they might have been better off doing mobile games or mobas. if people like me were in charge the mmorpg industry would be thriving like the video rental industry.

Bub, there's very little reality here.  Starting with DBG owning the LOTRO or DDO IP licenses.  But, hey, we all have our fantasies of End Times. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Amazon sells WoW so Amazon owns WoW. 

Wal-Mart sells Heinz; so Wal-Mart owns Heinz.

I'm sure there's something wrong with my logic just can't put my finger on it ......
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    So were you being sarcastic or were correct?
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited January 2017
    So not correct, not sarcastic. Which leaves incorrect or gibberish.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    This is great news.  I would like to see some changes in both those games.  If LOTRO could get a better character creation and DDO could get some world content and no more pay-to-play dungeons they might be worth redownloading.