Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Revelation Online - Closed Beta 3 Report - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageRevelation Online - Closed Beta 3 Report - MMORPG.com

Revelation Online tries hard to turn you away for the first 20 or so levels. Rarely have I played a game whose introductory quests are such a jumble of mechanics and narrative. But by level 30, the story begins to make more sense, the game’s other features begin to open up, and a game that’s worth playing comes out of the shadows.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited February 2017
    im realy enjoying this game if you get pass the first few hours... you notice news features everywhere

just about 2 days ago i noticed the game got a monster hunter league kinda system... with a board who give quest, and you rank up in advanturer league doing them !!

i was like whaaat ?? nice !!

the game also got the same kind of merchant trade system that black desert online for peoples who enjoy it too !!

the guild system also got a garnison just like wow... where you upgrade stuft and building ect and you can put npc with special skill for do stuft, they got rarity grade for various stuft

also the game got a ''advancement system kinda'' for exemple , when 1000 peoples reach lvl 40 something happen, same for raid ect..

it unlock stuft for a various of activity the server do, raid open when enough peoples have done something...

you got fish contest !! actualy this game got way to much features....

im personaly cant believe how much they added in this game... if you get pass the graphic and badly translation and the bad start... this game got everything !!
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Nice review, fair and honest. I can see it's got a lot going for it but I have to agree there's a few things that just aren't quite my taste with this game. What did you think of the combat?
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    It also took me 3 closed betas to start to see what Revelation was really about.

No it is not the next big mmo but I have come to understand that those are the types of mmos I will never enjoy. The smaller games that have like minded dedicated players are what offers what I am looking for.

I hope open beta is next and the translation is done.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Funny you mention level 30 was when the game became less messy. I recently stated the same thing in another thread so now I know it's not just me.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Aori said:

So another game that doesn't get good until later? sigh...

I have almost ZERO tolerance for weak MMOs that you have to press through before it "gets better". We have entered a generation of development where the standard is "buy into our crappy game that stays in beta/alpha/early access forever. Honestly it will get good..... eventually".

I feel like it is time, as gamers, we say "ENOUGH"!

Out of all the games/MMOs I play in a year I constantly find myself going back to the 3 mainstays: FFXIV, WoW and GW2. They perform well and (imo) are worth the money spent on them.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Leiloni said:
    Nice review, fair and honest. I can see it's got a lot going for it but I have to agree there's a few things that just aren't quite my taste with this game. What did you think of the combat?
    I'm torn. On one hand, I like the animations but on the other, it just doesn't feel impactful.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    edited February 2017
    I appreciate your positive outlook on pretty much any game that comes across your desk, I do, but it makes it difficult for your reviews to have any weight. I understand your position not to insult or belittle a game that others may really enjoy, which is a very difficult thing to do on the internet. But if it is poop then call it poop. If it is kitten flavored rainbows with unicorn sprinkles then call it... that...

Let us not sugar coat those first levels, they suck rotten eggs and set the tone. "Testing the cash shop"-- I don't even need to extrapolate. Revelation Online doesn't want to do anything new and it won't.

You have to ask yourself, why would I play this game over any of the games that already exist?
    edited February 2017
    @bamwalla - this is the closed beta, and while I doubt too much outside of the localization will change between now and OBT, I tend not to review or judge a game until it's time to do so. I tend to assign myself games I have an interest in, so my scores skew higher, but here's one that disappointed me greatly - http://www.mmorpg.com/bound-by-flame/reviews/the-fire-fizzles-out-1000000325 I'd also point out that as a critic, if I didn't take time to try and see what's good about a product and why some like it, I wouldn't be doing my job. Being a critic isn't always just spouting your own opinion. It's understanding all sides.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221

I'd also point out that as a critic, if I didn't take time to try and see what's good about a product and why some like it, I wouldn't be doing my job. Being a critic isn't always just spouting your own opinion. It's understanding all sides.

I understand that, and your ability to remain objective is superb. However, I didn't know that you assigned yourself the games to review, and reviewing ones you think you will like, that gives your reviews a bit of a foundation.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    CS will make or break it unfortunately. Its already a tight sell with how boring the questing is. If people can get past that and the semi-clunky combat, it has a lot to offer.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    The game has a lot going for it, but unfortunately it's going to be ruined with stupid management. The cash shop in this game will make Archeage look good. This is my.com/mail.ru famous for their Alods pay to win business model. The Russian cash shop was a good hint, then they tossed in the ability to buy multiple 90$ founder packs on the same account. Their is no real definition of what pay to win is, but this game might end up being the gold standard of it. The rage is already circling the internet. This is why I was waiting on buying a founder pack and it was a good call I think. I'll still try the game because it's free, but it isn't looking like I'll spend any money or very much time on it because it is going to tank faster than AA or BDO.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    2 things worry me about this game

The Publisher. The biggest worry actually.

The 2nd is the intro of the game, I honestly would rate is a 2 out of 10 it is that bad. Out of the AAA mmos I have played this game has the worst beginning I ever played, outside the original ffxiv which was an easy 1/10. Revelations felt rushed, it felt like the game was made up of all the mechanics from other mmos without rhyme or reason all shoved into the game, I found the characters unrelatable and the story... well sucked sorta. It honestly felt like a jumbled mess... and omfg the F spam for quest is completely ridiculous they could of condensed the quest instead of 1 conversation taking up 3 quest. Sorta of my opinion yea, but WoW, EQ2, Archeage, FFXIV, FFXI, Aion, GW2, Rift, Tera, B&S all had much better starts then this game did.

The thing is I am not completely bashing the game because the features in the game and what opens up after 30 is good to real good in my opinion. But will it be enough to make it work, or will the majority get to level 10-25 and say wow this game is garbage, quit, and miss the larger picture later on.

As for the publisher and cashshop.... well if the game is Archeage style P2W or worse it is also most likely DOA. Could be the best mmo ever made but with a pure p2w style cash shop none of that matters long term.

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    The game is bad and the developers should feel bad.

AFTER they make it P2W of course, which they're already well on their way.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    For me there are just too many good game to have to deal with a game for 30 levels before it gets good.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Good to know that if you put-up with all the nonsense for 30 levels there's a game after that. I got a free invite to CB3 and level 20 was as far as I could stomach.

I guess they didn't get that memo about first impressions.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    30 levels ? Hello who the hell waits around for 30 levels these days.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    bamwalla said:

I'd also point out that as a critic, if I didn't take time to try and see what's good about a product and why some like it, I wouldn't be doing my job. Being a critic isn't always just spouting your own opinion. It's understanding all sides.

I understand that, and your ability to remain objective is superb. However, I didn't know that you assigned yourself the games to review, and reviewing ones you think you will like, that gives your reviews a bit of a foundation.

I'll help you out, the game is a complete udder disaster for anyone that does not have patience.  I'll admit after my lengthy MMO history pretty much any new MMO I have zero patience for and the stupidest things can just turn me away, instantly.  That said if you get through the hours of SPACEBAR SPACEBAR SPACEBAR there is a decent MMO here with a ton of features and you feel overwelmed in a good way.  The tutorial of quests that have zero meaning and hold your hand is until lvl 20, then it starts to open up.

The UI is impressive, the amount of panels and information is staggering.  Pretty much any possible statistic is analyzed and stored somewhere for your viewing.  Your inventory is very fair and doesn't fill up quickly but that might be due to the fact you barely get drops.

Combat is decent, animations are wonky, most stuff still isn't translated.  At any point, it will never make it to the height of the Top5 or maybe even the Top10 but it can be appreciated as a time waster til the next MMO is out.

Final Result: Time Sinker and Move On
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    If you want to buy a sub you need to buy it for every character you got, correct me if im wrong but in cbt3 it was like that :(

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Iselin said:
    Good to know that if you put-up with all the nonsense for 30 levels there's a game after that. I got a free invite to CB3 and level 20 was as far as I could stomach.

I guess they didn't get that memo about first impressions.

Same here.  I played the game over the weekend and got a few different classes to around level 20.  Going through the same shitty quests a few times did my head in.  The devs need to slow the story down a bit; may be it was the localisation but my god half the time I didn't have a clue what was going on.  I also found the bit with the girl you save from thugs slightly creepy.

I also found the combat system and UI chunky and found myself just spamming abilities.  I haven't bothered logging back on since my weekend play due to the crappy beginning of the game.  I also found the daily reward system punishing if you like alts (like me).  I found you can miss rewards if you don't log in your character each day.

May be I will give the game another try nearer release.  I've just re-installed ESO after hearing all the recent good feedback on the game.

kitarad said:

30 levels ? Hello who the hell waits around for 30 levels these days.

To be fair, the 30 levels takes like 2-3 hours TOPS in beta. Not sure if that rate will stay in OBT.

My Review Manifesto

May be I will give the game another try nearer release.  I've just re-installed ESO after hearing all the recent good feedback on the game.

This won't take me from ESO, Marvel Heroes, BDO, or WoW (my four rotation, recently adding LotRO again). BUT, I'm not big on eastern MMOs for longer than a month at a time. BDO being the exception.

My Review Manifesto

Dragnelus said:

If you want to buy a sub you need to buy it for every character you got, correct me if im wrong but in cbt3 it was like that :(

That's screwed up!

My Review Manifesto

• ZanapherZanapher Member UncommonPosts: 5
    edited February 2017
    People can't stand 30 lvls in RO but can bear 110 lvls of WoW...
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    I will never understand why these types of generic KRPGs keep coming out..
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DAOWAce said:
    I will never understand why these types of generic KRPGs keep coming out..
    $$$