Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Art Thievery

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
Copied and pasted art found in game this time, still watermarked etc

I do hope CIG get a handle on this, with $142+ million they really shouldn't be resorting to copyright infringement.

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    That's generic clip art that's used in a ton of different places. 
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Ever heard of a dictionary?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited February 2017
    Forgrimm said:
    You can still see the identifying watermark on it, which indicates it's been used without permission.

DMKano said:
    How about just enjoying the game and letting go of the minutia?

A watermark on a tiny logo.... really?
    It's getting discussed on the subreddit and the excuse that comes up here for "stealing" artwork is that it is not in game (as if that matters).
    Copyright infringement is something that these companies take very seriously no matter how small the example might be.

Post edited by rpmcmurphy on
    edited February 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    The art shown in game has the identifying watermark on it shown on the piece from here https://www.123rf.com/photo_14643700_best-price-guarantee.html

Grunty said:
    Ever heard of a dictionary?

Which words are misspelt?

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited February 2017
    Forgrimm said:
    You can still see the identifying watermark on it, which indicates it's been used without persmission.

DMKano said:

It's getting discussed on the subreddit and the excuse that comes up here for "stealing" artwork is that it is not in game (as if that matters).
    Copyright infringement is something that these companies take very seriously no matter how small the example might be.

He is right.  The watermark proves it wasn't used with permission.  Yea they really need to get a handle on this before they actually get sued.  At the same time because the game hasn't launched they can claim it was for testing purposes.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Forgrimm said:
    You can still see the identifying watermark on it, which indicates it's been used without persmission.

DMKano said:

It's royalty free clipart, you don't need permission. If this is the type of thing that people are nitpicking, they should probably re-evaluate their life priorities.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited February 2017
    The artists who take this shortcuts should get slapped for something like this, even the watermark is still visible on it. Concept art is one thing, the other is in-game assets even if a small little thing.

It's still cheap ass drama to create threads like this, but it's a very very cheap move do something like that when there's ecaton of free vectors for the same.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:

DMKano said:

It's royalty free clipart, you don't need permission. If this is the type of thing that people are nitpicking, they should probably re-evaluate their life priorities.
    You do need permission thats why its watermarked.  Once you pay for permission they give you the art without the watermark.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited February 2017
    Forgrimm said:

If it's royalty free why would it be watermarked and have a fee attached to its use?

MaxBacon said:
    The artists who take this shortcuts should get slapped for something like this, even the watermark is still visible on it. Concept art is one thing, the other is in-game assets even if a small little thing.

It's still cheap ass drama to create threads like this, even if the 
    It's being discussed quite openly on the subredit so I fail to see why it's "cheap ass drama" to discuss it here. It's something that's become almost systemic with this company.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5rlzpw/best_price_guaranteed

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Forgrimm said:

This is absolutely the point.  Yes it's stealing if you use art like that without paying for it, hence the watermark.  It's kind of silly really.  There's no reason why they shouldn't be paying for assets like that they want to use.  They might want to pay closer attention to what art is being included in the future and that they are actually paid for.
    It's being discussed quite openly on the subredit so I fail to see why it's "cheap ass drama" to discuss it here? It's something that's become almost systemic with this company.
    Yeah your thread is cheap ass drama, not the situation. I'm sure who cares has reached the company about this flaw instead.

But if you wish we can always have one 20,30 pages thread about one artist using one watermarked vector.
  • yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191
    edited February 2017
    Forgrimm said:
    rpmcmurphy said:
    Forgrimm said:

DMKano said:

That kind of laziness is not acceptable. Illegal, half-assed, disrespectful to the backers and the original artist.
    edited February 2017
    yonpachi said:
    That kind of laziness is not acceptable. Illegal, half-assed, disrespectful to the backers and the original artist.
    That yes, I myself don't do that and only poke on pretty simple  things I need at my work.

I can't accept one artist being PAID for it taking such shortcuts. That level of care is half way gone to get fired.
    MaxBacon said:
    It's being discussed quite openly on the subredit so I fail to see why it's "cheap ass drama" to discuss it here? It's something that's become almost systemic with this company.
    Yeah your thread is cheap ass drama, not the situation. I'm sure who cares has reached the company about this flaw instead.

But if you wish we can always have one 20,30 pages thread about one artist using one watermarked vector.

Copyright infringement is serious business not cheap ass drama. Perhaps a bit of respect for the people that are getting the work used without their permission wouldn't go amiss.

Anyhow, you know the solution to your problem already, just go and find threads that echo thoughts you agree with.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited February 2017
    I'm not the tin-foil type at all but I have to agree with @rpmcmurphy on this one as far as the laziness or the lack of oversight here. As big a target as this game has on its back they are flirting with a lawsuit or at least some bad PR. Not to mention this isn't the first time this has been done. First time is an accident; second time is a trend.

But I do have to say this: How friggin hardcore full-on nerd-raged does someone have to be to even notice this? O.o

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited February 2017
    bartoni33 said:

But I do have to say this: How friggin hardcore full-on nerd-raged does someone have to be to even noticed this? O.o

Defintely. How would you even spot this unless you were purposely looking through every piece of art for possible abuse? That's pretty damn hardcore. :D

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    DMKano said:

Wait, there's a game to enjoy?  Since when.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Someone needs to have a talk with their designers. Esp for $12 . . . not worth the risk.

Two other points:
    If you have a designer on staff who is willing to pass off other people's work as their own, then what else do they lie about to you?

If you have a designer on staff who isn't capable of "removing"/filling in the water mark to make the image look whole, then you need to question their capacity to do the work you're paying them for.

So either you have a liar or an incompetent designer on your hands.
    bartoni33 said:

But I do have to say this: How friggin hardcore full-on nerd-raged does someone have to be to even noticed this? O.o

Defintely. How would you even spot this unless you were purposely looking through every piece of art for possible abuse? That's pretty damn hardcore. :D

Or they have a REALLLLLY big monitor?

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited February 2017
    Anyhow, you know the solution to your problem already, just go and find threads that echo thoughts you agree with.
    No, I want to be here with the rest blowing this issue's proportion to epic levels, as we go through dozens of pages of drama. :D
    MaxBacon said:
    No, I want to be here with the rest blowing this issue's proportion to epic levels, as we go through dozens of pages of drama. :D

Too soon?

Rusque said:
    If you have a designer on staff who isn't capable of "removing"/filling in the water mark to make the image look whole, then you need to question their capacity to do the work you're paying them for.
    This is the silly part because it was so lazy put there as that. I hope they know who created that piece of art and get a talk with the guy.

If not fire him, that type of work is not worth paying for. --'
    MaxBacon said:

Don't forget to tell everyone how much you hate the drama in the subreddit's post as well. I'll link it again in case you missed it https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5rlzpw/best_price_guaranteed/

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    lol, I wonder how Eleron is gonna spin this one.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    edited February 2017
    Isn't this on Arccorp btw? Who created Arccorp wasn't Behavior Interactive? I know they do this zones and level maps for SC, but this stuff has been iterated several times since release. It may not even be possible to know the artist behind that. O.o

bartoni33 said:
    Too soon?
    Yup, post that around page 10 perhaps. The beating just started.
This discussion has been closed.