Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Last Moments of Asheron's Call - Asheron's Call Videos - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Always sad when an MMO dies, although you can't say that it didn't have a good run.  RIP.

I self identify as a monkey.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Was too caught up in other MMOs in early 2000s to ever get into AC or AC2....The graphics always looked so dated and it never did have a free option to try it so I never did......I heard the stories and Im sure it was a good game, I just think Turbine could have run the game a bit better
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Was too caught up in other MMOs in early 2000s to ever get into AC or AC2....The graphics always looked so dated and it never did have a free option to try it so I never did......I heard the stories and Im sure it was a good game, I just think Turbine could have run the game a bit better

Same here.  One of my gaming regrets is not giving AC a chance (and SWG); I was too focused on EQ at the time.

Fortunately I've never been part of a games community and experienced the effect when the server's switch is flicked off for the last time and cannot relate to players that go through that.  Usually I've long moved on and have feelings of indifference to the news.  I thought the video was good because it showed that certain games do play a large, important part in people's life and people do experience feelings of loss and or a type of bereavement (especially the guy at the end) when the games bucket is finally kicked. 
  • badger_7badger_7 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I never played Asherons Call but was an EQ player for years. It is sad to see any game with a community like AC go especially with the terrible communities that today's MMORPGs produce. There are a few games trying to bring back the old school MMO feel like Pantheon and Project Gorgon.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Sad to see one of the few real MMO's shut down, there aren't many left.
  • VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    My first mmo and the game I allways compare every other mmo I play, no game I played ever since comes close to AC in enjoiment.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    edited February 2017
    Vidir said:
    My first mmo and the game I allways compare every other mmo I play, no game I played ever since comes close to AC in enjoiment.
    Some games are more than just pixels on the screen. They become an emotional attachment as friends are made, moments are lived, both successes and failures.
    At first I glossed over the video, but then watched it through. It really brought home the feelings of those who no longer have their game.
    I don't care how good the graphics are with the older games, it's someone's history, part of their lives. To see long established games like this closed down, to be superseded by the raft of one month wonders is an absolute shame.

Where are you, the next deep immersion mmo that isn't over in a month? There's a few out there I know, but it would be really great to see a truly new mmo or two released that really justifies an AAA rating.

SWTOR, Aion, Rift - all launched with hope. Maybe SWTOR can keep fronting up in their revised direction.
    WoW - the old warhorse. Maligned by many, but keep going for many more years my old friend.
    FFXIV - my saving grace. The light, fighting against the darkness of quick cash grab rubbish, games with little or no end game.
    The future? I don't know, maybe there isn't really one for an old school mmo player who didn't mind spending weeks and weeks leveling, then faced with marvelous end game challenges.
    Post edited by JudgeUK on
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697
    Just sad Asheron's Call 2 gone never played Ac1

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Sad to see this game go it was a legend.

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Don't know what you have until it's gone.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Saw this video of this grandpa saying goodbye to AC. Appears to have gone viral now.

hit me right in the feels

• migthefigmigthefig Member UncommonPosts: 37
    My first love. I will never forget you. Goodbye AC.
  • NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    edited February 2017
    I think I know why now this hurts so much now

Nearing the shutdown a player said, "Nothing beats that first exploration experience at how massive an MMO could be"

AC2 was my first and I don't think I can replicate the feelings I've experienced ever again.....:(

It will be near impossible to find such a great community like this again. 

"The Year Of The Sundering" MMOs has finally claimed us...we go home to the shelters.

I hope there is someway I'll meet one of you I've adventured with again.

Edit reason: spelling

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth