Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Morrowind is the Start of a New Content Cadence - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMorrowind is the Start of a New Content Cadence - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

Elder Scrolls Online News - Matt Firor has posted his first Elder Scrolls Online newsletter of 2017 following yesterday's big announcement about the Morrowind chapter set to hit the game in June. The letter is extraordinary as it outlines what Firor calls "a new content cadence" with regular content releases.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    In other words, they want more cash flow that comes with DLC charges. $59.99 chapters and assorted $20.00 to $30.00 DLC in faster intervals. Makes you wonder if the cash shop/subscriptions are not producing or if they're getting greedy.

• ShaiapoufShaiapouf Member UncommonPosts: 53
    So, given that a DLC typically runs you between $15 for a Dungeon Based DLC to $30 for a large scale one like orsinium, you can probably safely say that in order to fully experience ESO as time goes on, you're looking at $20-$25 in Q1, $40 in Q2, $15 in Q3, and $20-$25 in Q4, meaning ~$95-$105.

However, thats on top of both a Cash Shop, and Random Loot crates, meaning its impossible to get "everything" in the game without plopping down extra, and quite easily surpassing the price of DLC's depending on the items one may want, not including the "Collectors Editions" upgrades which almost all of the DLC's seem to have.

It just rubs me the wrong way really. If they had a straight up 'buy to play', I'd probably be more okay with it...$100 for all the content per year is still cheaper than a normal monthly sub. But with them recently adding loot boxes, and the cash shop items, it just feels like they're trying to play both fields of 'stable income' plus going for the 'whales'.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    In other words, they want more cash flow that comes with DLC charges. $59.99 chapters and assorted $20.00 to $30.00 DLC in faster intervals. Makes you wonder if the cash shop/subscriptions are not producing or if they're getting greedy.
    It's not greed. It's an increased economic activity enabler. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Only time will tell. If the quality and value is there in the updates, they will hopefully be successful.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited February 2017

Shaiapouf said:

So, given that a DLC typically runs you between $15 for a Dungeon Based DLC to $30 for a large scale one like orsinium, you can probably safely say that in order to fully experience ESO as time goes on, you're looking at $20-$25 in Q1, $40 in Q2, $15 in Q3, and $20-$25 in Q4, meaning ~$95-$105.

However, thats on top of both a Cash Shop, and Random Loot crates, meaning its impossible to get "everything" in the game without plopping down extra, and quite easily surpassing the price of DLC's depending on the items one may want, not including the "Collectors Editions" upgrades which almost all of the DLC's seem to have.

It just rubs me the wrong way really. If they had a straight up 'buy to play', I'd probably be more okay with it...$100 for all the content per year is still cheaper than a normal monthly sub. But with them recently adding loot boxes, and the cash shop items, it just feels like they're trying to play both fields of 'stable income' plus going for the 'whales'.

Or you can just sub whenever you want to play or just buy the content you want. There are options that for some reason people refuse to see. Absolutely nothing in the Crown Store is needed for gameplay. Nothing.
  • Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Or you can subscribe and get all the content.

I don't understand why people are complaining about new content.

I don't play ESO but I see nothing wrong with their business model.
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    edited February 2017

Sarcasm?
    If not, subscription no longer gets you all the content. That's the uproar on the ESO forums.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

You still have to buy the expansion as a subscriber and the crown store prices are high: 4500 for the latest mount which require you to buy the 5500 crown bundle at $39.99USD or sub for 3 months.
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    edited February 2017
    azarhal said:

You still have to buy the expansion as a subscriber and the crown store prices are high: 4500 for the latest mount which require you to buy the 5500 crown bundle at $39.99USD or sub for 3 months.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

Bit of misinformation here. The only DLC that is 30$ is Orsinium. It is also HUGE compared to any other DLC you could ask for. The subscription also gets you everything, so really unless you are crazy enough to want to buy all the DLC; you could just sub for a month or two and play through it. If you want to play the game a ton, you could just pay the sub anyways. I don't even see the point in ever buying the DLC personally. I usually just sub up for however long I want to play, then cancel my sub after I stop playing.

The fact that they are coming out with 40$ expansion on multiple platforms is pretty telling that the game is highly successful. They would certainly not produce a new 5 minute blur trailer for marketing purposes. (expensive as hell)

Not that I don't think the expansion price seems high for what you get. (Most are way too expensive, however) I mean GW2: HoT was pretty content light if you ask me, and that expansion was 10$ more then Morrowind. I think that expansion should have been 30$ too. The Morrowind expansion looks more like a 20$ expansion to me.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I wouldn't call it greed to want to keep the team intact as long as possible.. when revenue depletes too much, a reduction in team size is the first step in reversing that. How many boxes/digital purchases of the game are they still selling is the real question? Once that dries up they have to move to other means to replace that revenue stream. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    I wouldn't call it greed to want to keep the team intact as long as possible.. when revenue depletes too much, a reduction in team size is the first step in reversing that. How many boxes/digital purchases of the game are they still selling is the real question? Once that dries up they have to move to other means to replace that revenue stream. 

I love these assumptions that changes in revenue model are always needed just to pay the rent and put food on the table. Yup, it's never about yet more huge profits lol.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited February 2017
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:

I love these assumptions that changes in revenue model are always needed just to pay the rent and put food on the table. Yup, it's never about yet more huge profits lol.
    No it's totally about profit, what I said was all about profit, without solid profit teams dry up.

• Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Entris38 said:

Sarcasm?
    If not, subscription no longer gets you all the content. That's the uproar on the ESO forums.
    I wasn't being sarcastic. I must have missed it in the article that it said you no longer get all the content with a subscription.

I still don't think the pricing model is excessive, but I don't think the subscription is a good value any longer.
    I still don't think the pricing model is excessive, but I don't think the subscription is a good value any longer.
    You got it now. The previous model that included all content with the sub was a great model. The new one is less than that.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:

No it's totally about profit, what I said was all about profit, without solid profit teams dry up.
    So what exactly does the word "greed" mean to you?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited February 2017

I wasn't being sarcastic. I must have missed it in the article that it said you no longer get all the content with a subscription.

It's still a good value if you haven't completed previous DLC. I haven't completed any of it yet. So I'll still sub if I play again.

Iselin said:

Like I said I don't view it as greedy to want to keep teams together by remaining profitable. That's just everyday business to me. The problem with folks like yourself is you're having an emotional reaction to everyday commerce... then you turn all sour... as seen the last two days. 

edited February 2017
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:

Like I said I don't view it as greedy to want to keep teams together by remaining profitable. That's just everyday business to me. The problem with folks like yourself is you're having an emotional reaction to everyday commerce... then you turn all sour... as seen the last two days. 
    Sorry I forgot that anger at a business model changing while disguised with weasel words such as "Chapters" and "Expansions" is not cool.

Not giving a shit and taking whatever is dished out is ever so much cooler lol.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:

Sorry I forgot that anger at a business model changing while disguised with weasel words such as "Chapters" and "Expansions" is not cool.

Err, I'd have to buy the expansion to take what is dished out would I not?

edited February 2017
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:

Err, I'd have to buy the expansion to take what is dished out would I not?
    No. You would just have to sub and not get it.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:

Which I'd say is the reason the classic MMORPG market is in the dying state it is now. Too many people just let companies get away with murder and the companies ended up killing each other off by all trying to get bigger and bigger slices of the pie. So now all we have left are assembly line Asian MMORPGs and the last western AAA MMOs trying to scrabble out as much cash before their extinction.
    Exactly. It's a constant litany of "I can go along with this"... no end in sight.

Gambling boxes? "Well I won't buy them so... OK"
    Extra grindy furniture crafting? "Well, I just won't decorate my house."
    All DLC no longer included with sub? "Well they need to keep the team together"

:)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SainguinSainguin Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:

Which I'd say is the reason the classic MMORPG market is in the dying state it is now. Too many people just let companies get away with murder and the companies ended up killing each other off by all trying to get bigger and bigger slices of the pie. So now all we have left are assembly line Asian MMORPGs and the last western AAA MMOs trying to scrabble out as much cash before their extinction.
    Exactly. It's a constant litany of "I can go along with this"... no end in sight.

Gambling boxes? "Well I won't buy them so... OK"
    Extra grindy furniture crafting? "Well, I just won't decorate my house."
    All DLC no longer included with sub? "Well they need to keep the team together"

:)
    You're just looking for stuff to be mad about now.

Gambling boxes in ESO? Only cosmetic and don't affect you in anyway if you don't want to buy them.

Extra grindy furniture crafting? Have you ever done any crafting in ESO? It really doesn't seem like it.

All DLC no longer included in the sub? Only the once a year chapters won't be included in the sub. The other THREE yearly DLC will still be part of the sub. So you're just lying now.

:D

The only thing you can do is not buy the extras, in ESO's case I've never spent in the cash-shop, outside of coins gained from subbing.

It's not like sitting around complaining about profiteering on MMORPG.com is going to end it, so why waste the time? 

Distopia said:

The only thing you can do is not buy the extras, in ESO's case I've never spent in the cash-shop, outside of coins gained from subbing.

It's not like sitting around complaining about profiteering on MMORPG.com is going to end it, so why waste the time? 
    It's not like people complaining about things that annoy them is ever going to change. So why waste your time?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED