Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 5 Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Features We’re Really Excited About - The List at MMORPG.com

Comments

• QuasimojoQuasimojo Member UncommonPosts: 33

Nanfoodle said:

I think their only downfall will be holding on to old game systems like heavy death penalty over taking time to think how they could make it have a modern twist while keeping the fear of death high. Keeping old systems just because thats how it was with EQ1 in its glory days, without asking how we could make it better IMO will just drive off customers, even the ones that think this is what they want. 

If there is a death penalty in Pantheon that resembles EQ, it won't be there simply because "that's the way it was done before". Also, if it *is* implemented as such, and it *does* drive away some players, then it won't be by mistake. It will simply be a situation where the game turns out to not be for those players. One of the factors that is drawing players to this game in droves is the fact that it has no interest in appealing to the greatest possible number of people.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Raids the lazy way to construct an end game, and also a cancer at the heart of most MMORPG,s.

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

I always said, and I'll say again: I'd rather play with few passionate players than with massive amounts of toxicity in map chat.

If only those few friends could keep running and funding the game right? :)
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Kefo said:

Kyleran said:

Iselin said:

Kyleran said:

The underlying tie for all of these features is they encourage player reliance, interaction, and interdependence.

This may just turn out to be the most social virtual world created in quite some time.

This is the greatest draw for me to follow this title.

May be. The most interesting part of the social experiment to me is if the community will behave in a way that supports that.

I wish them a small dedicated community so they have a chance.

While I have no illusions about the nobility of the modern gamer, I'm hoping "enlighted self-interest" will encourage a more social environment.

Bring on the assclowns lol. In EQ on the Karana server we had a rogue guild form so they could try to break the long standing system we had in place for making sure all guilds got a shot at certain raid targets and that it wasn't just farmed out by the top guilds.

The server banded together and made sure the rogue guild was denied almost every raid possible and their guildmembers were blacklisted from the community. Was fun seeing everyone come together for a common goal and you knew you had a great community when guild feuds were put aside to deal with a server problem.
    That was the major reason so many of us really disliked EQ.  Who wants to wait in line for a boss?  Exactly, no one.  If they do bosses like this in Pantheon it will get justly ridiculed.  Why do you think Wow was so successful, dungeons became instances.  While there were some good features in EQ, there were a lot of bad ones too.  Just have to wait and see what the released game has in it.  Maybe Brad will surprise us.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Ozmodan said:
    Kefo said:

Kyleran said:

Iselin said:

Kyleran said:

The underlying tie for all of these features is they encourage player reliance, interaction, and interdependence.

This may just turn out to be the most social virtual world created in quite some time.

May be. The most interesting part of the social experiment to me is if the community will behave in a way that supports that.

While I have no illusions about the nobility of the modern gamer, I'm hoping "enlighted self-interest" will encourage a more social environment.

Bring on the assclowns lol. In EQ on the Karana server we had a rogue guild form so they could try to break the long standing system we had in place for making sure all guilds got a shot at certain raid targets and that it wasn't just farmed out by the top guilds.

The server banded together and made sure the rogue guild was denied almost every raid possible and their guildmembers were blacklisted from the community. Was fun seeing everyone come together for a common goal and you knew you had a great community when guild feuds were put aside to deal with a server problem.
    That was the major reason so many of us really disliked EQ.  Who wants to wait in line for a boss?  Exactly, no one.  If they do bosses like this in Pantheon it will get justly ridiculed.  Why do you think Wow was so successful, dungeons became instances.  While there were some good features in EQ, there were a lot of bad ones too.  Just have to wait and see what the released game has in it.  Maybe Brad will surprise us.

Agreed, and while @Kefo makes a good point, there is also the flip side of that coin that needs to be considered. Lest we forget the Goons in EVE. I really feel that this type of mechanic might backfire these days simply because it feels like there are plenty more assholes these days. I could be completely wrong, though, and I've got nothing to back that up other than my on perspective. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Kefo said:

Kyleran said:

Iselin said:

Kyleran said:

I had to double check to make sure this wasn't an EvE post by a goon...
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    The more I read about this, the more Interested I get.

Then I watch a stream of it and all the interest wanes.
    Either I became superficial without noticing or it's too early for gameplay footage.
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Sovrath said:

I don't know what the rules are for kickstarter but I bet if they had another one they would actually get the funding they wanted now that they actually have something to show.

I asked them if they will do another KS and they said at this time they have no plans to do another KS run.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

Even that works best with like-minded small audiences. Haven't we all seen what mainstream success does to MMOs? Aren't you current experiencing a DAoC revival in a small community?

My holy grail of MMO gaming is to play with just that type of dedicated niche gamers... ah the good 'ole days :) 
    Then roll you an Alb and join us!  Or, well, me (not sure what realm Kyleran is playing).

This past weekend was like a step into the past; 5000+ folks trying to play.  Guild chat was lively with folks offering/requesting groups/help.  It was...  Refreshing, to say the absolute least.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Buccaneer said:
    Kefo said:

Kyleran said:

Iselin said:

Kyleran said:

When I read what you described; the rogue guild come across as heroes by trying to break the monopoly of the top raiding guilds, whilst the reaction of the server community or top guilds come across as assclowns because someone had the nerve to try and take their toys away. 

I'm sorry if I read this wrong; it's just your description puts (IMO) the server in a bad light, not the rogue guild.
    The server had a system to include all the guilds even the smaller guilds that couldn't take raid targets by themselves. They knew where they were in the rotation and could plan it out with other smaller guilds and take their time learning the encounter instead of getting bum rushed by the top guild and never having a shot at some fun raids
    Ozmodan said:
    Kefo said:

Kyleran said:

Iselin said:

Kyleran said:

This was on one server where the guilds agreed to the rotation to give everyone a fair chance. Also to be clear it wasn't all the raids. There were still a few that were open to anyone so you could still have your guilds do the crazy rush to beat everyone else or the 12+ hour camps waiting for the target to spawn lol
    Also keep in mind this isn't a stated system in place for pantheon it's just how Karana in EQ did things. It worked out well since you didn't have to stress out about missing some raid targets and could focus on other things. Karana was very laid back lol
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2017
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

Even that works best with like-minded small audiences. Haven't we all seen what mainstream success does to MMOs? Aren't you current experiencing a DAoC revival in a small community?

My holy grail of MMO gaming is to play with just that type of dedicated niche gamers... ah the good 'ole days :) 
    Then roll you an Alb and join us!  Or, well, me (not sure what realm Kyleran is playing).

This past weekend was like a step into the past; 5000+ folks trying to play.  Guild chat was lively with folks offering/requesting groups/help.  It was...  Refreshing, to say the absolute least.
    I think he's with Stungard... Alb forever baby!
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AraduneAradune Sigil Games CEOMember RarePosts: 294

Albatroes said:

Aradune said:

From the upcoming FAQ update regarding Mentoring:

4.11 Can I play with my friend’s new character using my high-level character? What about alts?

Yes, through the Mentor System. Mentoring temporarily de-levels your character and allows you to group with them. You will either scale down or assume the character you were at that lower level (TBD) and be a huge help. This will enable players to group together without one being overpowered and content trivialized.

The Mentor System is voluntary although there will be incentives to mentor, giving your character certain advantages (points, recognition, and other rewards – the details are TBD). We want to encourage people to help new players. Additionally, there will be incentives to create alternate characters through the Progeny System (where when you reach a certain level you can create an alternate level one character who will have some advantages over a brand-new character).

My question about that is, will it be as extreme as FFXI/XIV when you scale down and grey out your higher level abilities or will it be like Rift/GW2 where you keep all your abilities but they are just scaled down in terms of damage?

Not sure yet -- we may simply save your character every time you level and then you'd temporarily become that character. Perhaps with some bonuses.

--

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad McQuaid
    CCO, Visionary Realms, Inc.
    www.pantheonmmo.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

I think he's with Stungard... Alb forever baby!
    D'aww!  Well I'm enjoying myself leveling a Reaver.  Wanted to go back to Paladin, but my wrists can't take the twisting these days.

Let me know if you jump in.  I'm keeping my eye on Pantheon.  If it captures the same feel that I'm getting now, but updates or expands upon the core design ideals, I can see myself delving headfirst into it!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited February 2017
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

My friends decided to roll Hib this time around, having been Albs/Mids before on 1.0.

I miss my Theuri/ Skald. :(

But my life as a Menti means I get to "dot, dot, dot" ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    The more features we learn about the more im interested. I do hope there are some solo aspects of this game though or easy ways to find groups. But really when will this game be sold to Day Break? Thats what usually happens right?

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Buccaneer said:
    Kefo said:

Kyleran said:

Iselin said:

Kyleran said:

When I read what you described; the rogue guild come across as heroes by trying to break the monopoly of the top raiding guilds, whilst the reaction of the server community or top guilds come across as assclowns because someone had the nerve to try and take their toys away. 

I'm sorry if I read this wrong; it's just your description puts (IMO) the server in a bad light, not the rogue guild.
    @Buccaneer when I first read the post I felt the same, but on second reading I saw it differently.   I think what they implemented was either a schedule or voluntary cool down / lockout of raids.  With rules that prevented camping a boss spawn.

I think the server was saying that no one "owns" a spawn.  Everyone must wait their turn and allow others their turn at the spawn.  At least I hope that is what @Kefo was saying.

I My Opinion (IMO) just another example of why instanced content is prefered over open / contested / fought over content.

Speaking of instanced content vs open.  If there was a queue to join instanced content, or if a layer wanting to join could list active instances and message group leaders asking for an invite.  Wouldn't that negate the need for open content over instanced.  "Open Contentors" often speak of joining raids already in progress as a need.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Konfess said:
    Buccaneer said:
    Kefo said:

Kyleran said:

Iselin said:

Kyleran said:

@Buccaneer when I first read the post I felt the same, but on second reading I saw it differently.   I think what they implemented was either a schedule or voluntary cool down / lockout of raids.  With rules that prevented camping a boss spawn.

I think the server was saying that no one "owns" a spawn.  Everyone must wait their turn and allow others their turn at the spawn.  At least I hope that is what @Kefo was saying.

I My Opinion (IMO) just another example of why instanced content is prefered over open / contested / fought over content.

Speaking of instanced content vs open.  If there was a queue to join instanced content, or if a layer wanting to join could list active instances and message group leaders asking for an invite.  Wouldn't that negate the need for open content over instanced.  "Open Contentors" often speak of joining raids already in progress as a need.
    That's the jist of it. But this was only for some raids to give smaller guilds a chance to take their time with it. The big raids were always free for all so the bigger guilds had something to fight over lol
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Samhael said:

These are indeed 5 features that look interesting. However, I'd love to know more about the combat. What I've seen in the videos thus far looks amazingly boring. I'm not a FPS gamer these days but I don't think we need to go the full 180 to get away from that. If the launch version of combat isn't considerably more exciting, I doubt people will stay. Any combat where characters are regularly checking out to go sit down to recover mana (or whatever) just isn't going to be invigorating... it's more like the snoozefest those characters are "roleplaying."

Couldn't agree less. Action based combat gets very draining physically after a while, and to me, it becomes a repetitive bore. I want to role play a dextrous rogue, not try to simulate one.

The lack of downtime between fights in MMOs is a large part of why their social structure disintegrated over the years.

There are plenty of action RPGs out there to play, yet you're talking about this one. Think about it.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Nanfoodle said:
    This MMO has more promise then any game in development IMO. I think their only downfall will be holding on to old game systems like heavy death penalty over taking time to think how they could make it have a modern twist while keeping the fear of death high. Keeping old systems just because thats how it was with EQ1 in its glory days, without asking how we could make it better IMO will just drive off customers, even the ones that think this is what they want. 

You had your chance with that mess that was EQ next. I remember you spouting on about the same thing and happy because they were leaving the old EQ concept behind. 

Well these devs are not so you can go with it or go find another EQ next. Plenty of people will play this game with the thought of mmo's going back to there routes and will have no problem with the death penalty if it is similar to EQ. 

Unlike your EQ next which didn't deserve the name title of 'EQ'  this game wont crash and burn. 

LOL You never read my posts very well. I said many times I wish they had gone with a trinity game like EQ1. Go back under your bridge lol
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Albatroes said:
    My question about that is, will it be as extreme as FFXI/XIV when you scale down and grey out your higher level abilities or will it be like Rift/GW2 where you keep all your abilities but they are just scaled down in terms of damage?
    I wish they would do the later.

In Vanguard I had big trouble with the mentoring system. I love to help newbies, but everytime I mentored, I had to reconfigure my scripts endlessly.

I wished in Pantheon the scripts could just stay the same and some abilities would either be grayed out (not function) or automatically get scaled down.

• DesolousDesolous Member UncommonPosts: 15

Zuljan said:

This game looks sooo good. I'm glad it's finally getting the recognition/attention it deserves, but I was shocked the article didn't include the perception system - among other major features in Pantheon - that will really set this game apart from others. Just having a challenging MMO that doesn't hold your hand is exciting enough...hope to see more updates from their team though..seems like testing should've started by now. My only fear is this turns into another EQNext ( i.e. doesn't get finished)

Number 4 kinda talks about the perception system, and I agree 100% about Pantheon setting it self apart from other MMOs while at the same time bring back the community, and difficulty we are missing in today's MMOs. Being an old school MMO player from the late 90s, I really do need a game like Pantheon. Just hope Pantheon gets the support and development it deserves. I don't want a repeat of Vanguard. It was an amazing game, but didn't get the support it deserved and was rushed out the door. This time I want the Brad Mcquaid team to take the time that is needed and give us what is promised. If I have to wait I'll wait, been waiting for over 15years for a game like Pantheon anyways, so take your time guys. Make it as perfect as one can make a MMO for launch, and then give the game the support and development it deserves after the launch as well. If this turns out like I hope, and I think it will. We will finally have a great MMO that reminds us why we play MMOs today.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Distopia said:

Aradune said:

We want to encourage people to help new players. 

This can be key to opening players up to true community play. There were a lot of players like this in SWG from the start. There were a number of them who used to hang around, seeking out newbs, giving them starter gear, credits, etc.. As well as offering tips on how to play. First impressions mean a lot after all. 

I was greeted by a player like that myself in SWG; coming from DAOC it was a stark contrast to the type of community I'd left behind. 

SWG and EQOA were the only games I've ever experienced that in. Both of which I was strongly into community play.

People helping people. That is something that is lost in most modern MMO's. I am so looking forward to this game.

P.S. Thank you Brad McQuaid and VR for not giving up on the MMORPG genre.
    IDK about LOST because the ONLY game i can remember that allowed it was FFXI.

Every other game locked combat and locked outside players out.
    YES we should be able to help each other,that is the RPG environment and plausible realism i look for.If someone wants to just b a nice person and heal a party with no benefits to himself,then so be it,what's the problem?I can tell you through experience,it works and it plenty ok,no problems at all.

Well there is one problem lol.An outside high level healer for example could heal such high numbers as to steal a Boss's hate away from a low level group.Still no worries if the developer is on top of it,it still works..

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DesolousDesolous Member UncommonPosts: 15

Samhael said:

These are indeed 5 features that look interesting. However, I'd love to know more about the combat. What I've seen in the videos thus far looks amazingly boring. I'm not a FPS gamer these days but I don't think we need to go the full 180 to get away from that. If the launch version of combat isn't considerably more exciting, I doubt people will stay. Any combat where characters are regularly checking out to go sit down to recover mana (or whatever) just isn't going to be invigorating... it's more like the snoozefest those characters are "roleplaying."

If your looking for action style MMO then this will not be for you. the combat might seem "boring" to you but as an old school rpg player and old 90s MMO player I'm in love with what has been shown. Believe me learning how to manage resources imo is the fun part of combat that alot of MMOs are missing today. Pantheon is targeting a specific audience and the zerg combat player is not it. They are bringing back the think before every pull, the need for CC, debuffs and so on. IMO this kind of combat is way more interesting and a lot more fun, but then again I am the target audience of Pantheon and I hope they keep it that way. Please do not dumb things down just to make the combat less so called "boring" to some people.