Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heroes of the Storm - Team Ballistix and the eSports Juggernaut - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageHeroes of the Storm - Team Ballistix and the eSports Juggernaut - MMORPG.com

During BlizzCon 2016, Team Ballistix surprised the world when they won the Heroes of the Storm World Championship. We caught up with Patrick Soullier, Global eSports and Gaming Marketing Manager for Ballistix Gaming to talk about the team, esports, and the future.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2017
    Sponsors ..NOT the actual players but the sponsors.
    There lies one of the biggest black marks in gaming and esports,it is run by sponsors and not by gamers.Yes there are some players who run teams and go out and get sponsors,but that is still BUYING your way in.
    It is NEVER and i mean never about the player,you want in,good get a sponsor/s and a team and market yourself.

Remember that song by Metallica...Crowned King nothing,well that is how i feel when sop called winners are announced.When you have less than 1% of the player base actually able to consistently compete on a high level and to form a team and to get sponsors,it is NOT a representation of the best players.Instead it almost always represents those who game for a living,they don't work,they spend 8-12 hours a day and from what i have seen,they don't get any better,they just play more.

Think of it from another perspective...
    If you or i were interested in say hockey,would EVER care to talk about or listen to an owner of a team or even a sponsor,say the BEER sponsors like Molson's or Labatte's.No of course not but here we are on a gaming site and we need to talk to the sponsor/marketing guy?

Remember when our parent's said long ago,money is the root of all evil,how true it is.Sponsors and marketing and gold farmers/rmt,cash shops,can we ever just get rid of all that crap and talk about gaming and gamer's?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

Wizardry said:

There lies one of the biggest black marks in gaming and esports,it is run by sponsors and not by gamers.Yes there are some players who run teams and go out and get sponsors,but that is still BUYING your way in.

It is NEVER and i mean never about the player,you want in,good get a sponsor/s and a team and market yourself.

Remember that song by Metallica...Crowned King nothing,well that is how i feel when sop called winners are announced.When you have less than 1% of the player base actually able to consistently compete on a high level and to form a team and to get sponsors,it is NOT a representation of the best players.Instead it almost always represents those who game for a living,they don't work,they spend 8-12 hours a day and from what i have seen,they don't get any better,they just play more.

If you or i were interested in say hockey,would EVER care to talk about or listen to an owner of a team or even a sponsor,say the BEER sponsors like Molson's or Labatte's.No of course not but here we are on a gaming site and we need to talk to the sponsor/marketing guy?

Remember when our parent's said long ago,money is the root of all evil,how true it is.Sponsors and marketing and gold farmers/rmt,cash shops,can we ever just get rid of all that crap and talk about gaming and gamer's?

What are you on about, you get a sponsor if your team is good enough. And anyone can prove himself with his homemade team without a sponsor. Yeah, no shit, being good at something takes you practicing all day every day....

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Wizardry said:

Your posts always make me smile :)
    You're like the sites little mascot ;)

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Nerdlicious
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Wizardry said:

It is obvious you were never part of any team or played any game professionally--neither have any clue how the world of pro gaming works or what sponsors do. 

Remove the sponsors and pro gaming would be just for the extremely rich kids. So would any other sport. 

I don't understand your complaint about only the 1% being able to compete at the high level, isn't what the high level basically means?

I can't even begin to understand the context you were going for by putting gold farmers and sponsors into one post, let alone in one paragraph. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    wizardry posts are the best
  • ZendaiZendai Member UncommonPosts: 115
    edited February 2017
    Wizardry's comment just continually remind me of that one kid in class that always tried to be the know it all, but was actually too dumb to properly pull it off. An outsider, not because he owned it, but because he pissed off all the other outsiders. Name one post that has been positive, ever? Or remotely intelligent? In the end, that comment is completely irrelevant, since it comes from the bias position that eSports ruin gaming for everyone, his words.

So something you would not know Wizardry, because you don't like HotS and you don't watch eSports, is that L5 made a name for themselves in the scene, beating one of the best sponsored teams MVP Black, just before Blizzcon. They impressed a prominent eSports sponsor, Ballistix, and earned themselves not just a good prize pool, but some monetary support and structure so they could push their team to the next level. 90% of the work was on the shoulders of the players, and the 10% just gave them the boost they need. Very often these sponsors shell out quite a bit of money to these players with no initial returns, most of the prize money even stays in the hands of the players, the small trade off being they play under a certain name. As you can imagine, given all the benefits, no one in their right mind would turn down such a deal. All sports run on sponsors, some of them wear their logos on the jerseys, some of them just have it in the stadiums, commercials, banners, whatever, that's how the industry runs.

Without sponsors, especially in eSports, it would just be amatuer night since no one playing pro would be able to put in full time practice, because they have work at 2. And the only way anyone would be able to watch would be online for $100 prize pools, making the whole scene pretty casual. Like it or not, until the world economy runs on something other than money, there won't be any other way to get things like eSports, or video games in general produced for mass consumption. It would literally only be the 1% income people in the world. Money, like guns, cars, and alcohol, is just a substance, a thing. It has no motives, no thoughts or functions. People are who use money and make decisions. People are the root of all evil, as we are the only species that have constructed the idea of evil, in our collective mind. There is no inherent morality outside of what we as a society decide there is, so stop parroting concepts that you have little understanding of, and for once look at both sides of what is, because it's not all bad. All this article did was give some insight into the mind of an individual who is passionate about gaming and the HotS eSports and eSports scene in general. Nothing evil about it.