Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Peaked around 18600

rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
Day One with massive hype the last few days, thousands upon thousands of people watching streamers the days leading up to 'release'.

Lirik had 60K people for awhile yesterday watching him. Top 10 streamers had around 100K (obviously Lirik had more than half and has a big following regardless of what he is playing).

So is 18600 a good number? Bad number? Expected number?

My opinion is it was small, and the fact the numbers have declined even more since then, currently at 13K people it shows the issues this game has had since it launched.

Couple that with a mixed review status and it looks like a long road.

I like some of the stuff I see like being able to have 'thralls' and the NPC 'content' seems deeper than ARK and Rust, but the 'core' stuff of the game looks like a complete copy and paste of those games. But implemented much more poorly. Obviously they are in day one and Ark has been out for 18 months. But Funcom is a large studio, and even with modders helping them and stealing material Wildcard is still tiny by comparison, one would think. So Funcom with that blueprint and superior manpower should have delivered a much 'better' product, even on day one.

Not sure the modding potential but that will likely, as it did with ARK, make or break this game.

Yeah streamers will play it for a few months but if the content doesnt get expanded (greatly) either by mods or developers then its still a shadow of ARK and the mainstream streamers will go back there or to ARMA III.

But it surely shows the difference between now and the 'golden age' when AoC (a complete mess itself) launched with about 600K people and about 750 boxes sold.

Comments

• grinderygrindery Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I checked earlier today around 5:30pm EST and there was 30k users, just checked again as I'm writing this post and it sits at 25,495 users in game.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Waiting for a PS4 launch ;)

I'll probably get it on steam if my steam friends buy it after full release.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    https://topconanservers.com/1/votes/desc

I use this I dont use STEAM as I think they fudge their numbers.
  • grinderygrindery Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Ah, that website just counts online players and doesn't account for single player. I would imagine that's accurate as multi-player is having serious issues at the moment.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    grindery said:
    Ah, that website just counts online players and doesn't account for single player. I would imagine that's accurate as multi-player is having serious issues at the moment.
    If its only multiplayer, it then makes it seem like very few are playing and is rather misleading.

Many people (especially on modding sites) are only playing singleplayer, and care not for multiplayer.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I couldn't imagine playing the game singleplayer.  Heck playing multiplayer without friends is boring and mindnumbing.
  • LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Currently at 57k concurrent and at 2nd spot overall on Twitch. This burst + decline happens to every game, if it stays within top16 after two weeks should be pretty good.

Funcoms stock is almost more interesting, it saw a gain of ~15% yesterday and it's on track for another 20% today. 55% last week, 190% within last month, 295% within last three months. It seems that Funcom was in dire need of a popular release.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DMKano said:
    Concurrent users are one thing, total sales are more important.

Steam spy shows about 40K total box sales. (yes I am saying "box" for digital downloads)

Not bad, but not great. Hopefully they can move more boxes.

Also Funcom is not a large studio anymore they arw below 150 emplyees after they shut down Montreal and Bejing office.
    To me that is a rather unimpressive number but if the game is fun for more then a few weeks the rumor will spread and sales will go up. It is always dangerous to put too much into initial sales.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Watched my favorite streamer playing this.
    He liked it but it looked pretty boring to me.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Good to see that they're getting decent numbers, hopefully they can keep things rolling and people interested.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Nyctelios said:
    Dakeru said:
    Name me one streamer which disliked it live.
    I've heard a few say they liked it, but it wasn't anything special or new at that point. And they're right. In its current state, it's a copy-paste from other games in the genre.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    It's seems "okay" so far, from what I've seen.

I honestly expected more pve stuff to be in the game in the early game, but so far it seems quite similar to the majority of the other survival games.

Nyctelios said:
    Dakeru said:
    Name me one streamer which disliked it live.
    A few of them actually mostly due to the outrageous lag and shit combat. And of course many streamer play on private servers with minimal populations. I suspect 'official' servers are worse. Many people who tried official servers couldnt even log in.

Also (as with ARK early on) the more building that takes place the worse the performance of all servers private or official.

These of course are (semi) expected on a pre alpha type launch, But as I have said for years every NEW game of this type SHOULD improve on the issues the previous ones experienced. In other words each 'generation' should be held to a higher standard.

Been holding at a steady 14K or so the past 12 hrs. Decline could be that those people who tried at peak couldnt get onto a multi server and went to play single player.

But yes surge and decline is expected but 18600 online is a very tiny number. If it rises (due to them stabilizing multiplayer servers then we can re-evaluate. But if after this next weekend it is where it is now or lower it wont look good.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    I couldn't imagine playing the game singleplayer.  Heck playing multiplayer without friends is boring and mindnumbing.
    Singleplayer is also the co-op setting. My sons and I were playing together in singleplayer/co-op mode, and I get the feeling a lot of others were, too.
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
    Theyre peaking higher right now.  Which 'proves' another one of my claims is that Euros play these games much more than Americans as the numbers for primetime in Europe are higher than they are during US prime time.

Either way around 21K right now playing.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    rodarin said:
    Theyre peaking higher right now.  Which 'proves' another one of my claims is that Euros play these games much more than Americans as the numbers for primetime in Europe are higher than they are during US prime time.

Either way around 21K right now playing.

Steamspy has their owners at 55K as of the 30th. So there's a whole day unaccounted for, so it could be much higher by now. Also, it's just now that I'm starting to see some of the mainstream sites launching gameplay videos. Also, the hilariousness that is the endowment slider should easily garner tens of thousands of owners. I watched this video on gamespot (uncensored, NSFW) and it made me laugh so hard I nearly bought it on the spot. The only question that remains for me is whether you're able to actually hit someone in that part with a blunt object and if it will respond with realistic physics? Also, can you cut it off? If either of those are true, then they can consider another copy sold, lol.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Dakeru said:
    I can't imagine it is fun to watch but I've been having fun playing it. Games like this are about doing what you want, when you want. If you can't really have fun setting your own goals, it's not going to be very exciting. It certainly won't translate into an interesting webisode. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    The servers are so bad and mobs don't fight back.  There's probably a lot of people like me waiting to see if they can fix those basic things before trying the game.

Right now it just does not seem playable really in any enjoyable way.
    The servers are so bad and mobs don't fight back.  There's probably a lot of people like me waiting to see if they can fix those basic things before trying the game.

Mobs fight back.... I've been corpse raped by NPCs a number of times already. 

edited February 2017
    Distopia said:

I just watched a stream where they literally did not because of server lag.  Yesterday when I watched they kind of fought back but it was really pathetic and not at all engaging, mostly because of server lag.
    Distopia said:

I just watched a stream where they literally did not because of server lag.  Yesterday when I watched they kind of fought back but it was really pathetic and not at all engaging, mostly because of server lag.
    I've been playing SP myself, until I get accustomed to the game. The worst I've seen so far is NPCs getting stuck on terrain, it still killed me though as I tried to kill it lol.

• Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I plan on buying it. Just waiting for the weekend.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited February 2017
    Rhoklaw said:
    It's kind of hard to show concurrent users in a game where people are having severe issues connecting to the game. That's like saying rock concert was poorly received with only 35k fans in the stands when in fact, 35k more fans were waiting outside cause they couldn't get in.
    exactly.

Also, how many people just haven't loaded it up yet (me) and how many people are just waiting until the game is actually finished?

It's early access, that really doesn't count for much.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited February 2017
    Distopia said:
    Distopia said:

I've been playing SP myself, until I get accustomed to the game. The worst I've seen so far is NPCs getting stuck on terrain, it still killed me though as I tried to kill it lol.

I've heard single player works great.  But online is a nightmare.

Which is somewhat OK.  It's early access.  But I'm not buying the game until I see they're able to fix this.
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I still remember watching an interview and a Funcom rep was asked abotu TSW sales and they werre disappointed.They figured for certain 300k and only got 200k,so looking at 18-19k they must be distraught.

I noticed a trend at SOE before they went to shit and i see with Funcom as well.They are hurting for money,so following the EXACT same footsteps as Semdley,they went for an EASY cheap game to make to try and survive as a business,in other words a quick cash grab,similar to what Landmark and H1Z1 were doing.

Funcom is nearing the end,they really need to find some rich money bags to buy them up and even then,WHY would anyone with $$$ want to throw it at a losing business.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.