Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conan Exiles launches with "mixed reviews"

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
Looks like sadly its not as good as I hoped. 453 negative reviews at the time of this post, 723 positive. That isn't a very good ratio.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/440900#app_reviews_hash

I don't have the game yet, but very disappointing. I was super hyped up about it, but looks like its another bad launch from Funcom. The reviews are looking to be very bad. Anything mixed and below is not a good sign at all.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    edited January 2017
    This is why EA is a bad idea.  First impressions count and people buy into games that are not fully developed expecting a great experience but come away disappointed.

Steam need to make this message bigger (just above the buy options).  Not having a go at you OP; just peoples expectations with EA games.

This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Its too early. Its just.......too early. Ille take a look a month from now. See where its at then.
  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Never ever buy EA game... almost 50% never make it , or developers do a half assed job and move on to the next title.  (or even worse make a DLC to milk it before they even release the game - ARK survival)
    I would say wait till it releases and if the reviews are good then buy it to support the game.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Track Record, Track Record, Track Record.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Yea the problem more so , right now , is just really stupid people who buy EA (alpha) expecting some thing else , and really have no business participating in EA , because they are to stupid to know what they even bought to actually be of any help to the devs , by particiapting in finding bugs and giving feedback and knowing there will be server issues etc , with a project like this ...
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited January 2017
    Buccaneer said:
    This is why EA is a bad idea.  First impressions count and people buy into games that are not fully developed expecting a great experience but come away disappointed.

Steam need to make this message bigger (just above the buy options).  Not having a go at you OP; just peoples expectations with EA games.

This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development.
    If you charge the full price of the finished product you have to live with people expressing their opinion about what they got for their money, regardless of a game's state in development.

If you can only deliver 50%, be ready for a crapstorm hitting your product or sell it at an entry price/early discount for starters.

Of course somebody is always going to pull the "but mmos are never finished" card here -but we're not talking about features, systems or land mass which of course will get added later on, but about baseline functions like UI, network, NPC spawning or combat. Visually, all the game offers is 10 year old graphics in a single, bleak and literally deserted environment of most boring color palette and technically it is a mess.

AoC is like 9(?) years old and it's code should have an insane level of polish by now, yet all they have adopted from AoC looks like shiz.

They can talk about their future plans and ideas in their live streams all night long, but it's just not going to happen. This game will die in the process of getting patched together before it reaches a reasonable state or everybody has left.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    yeah lots of moving parts to debate.  charging people for alpha.  should those ppl paying money complain for an alpha game.  should we listen to their complaints.  etc.  i think its a good idea to wait and see and not pay any money until the game is released.  

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Buccaneer said:

Or game developers should know better by now. Launching an unfinished game too early, even with the tile of "early access", will no longer fly with players. "Early Access" is simply charging players to beta test, with no refund if the game is never finished. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    I played the game solo for around four hours this morning to learn the ropes and it was rock solid. I didn't notice a single bug and gameplay was smooth. Then I decided to try a multiplayer server and had no luck at all. Either I couldn't log on, or got DC'd before even finishing character creation. Reading the Steam forums, I saw there were widespread problems with multiplayer and that Funcom were working on a patch, so just left it and found other things to do. Apparently it's still not fixed, so I'll just leave it until tomorrow. No big deal. However, the howls of rage from some of the would be players in the forums shows they just have no clue of the concept of an early access title. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would think of wrting a meaningful review on day one of an incomplete game.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited January 2017
    ReaperUk said:
    I played the game solo for around four hours this morning to learn the ropes and it was rock solid. I didn't notice a single bug and gameplay was smooth. Then I decided to try a multiplayer server and had no luck at all. Either I couldn't log on, or got DC'd before even finishing character creation. Reading the Steam forums, I saw there were widespread problems with multiplayer and that Funcom were working on a patch, so just left it and found other things to do. Apparently it's still not fixed, so I'll just leave it until tomorrow. No big deal. However, the howls of rage from some of the would be players in the forums shows they just have no clue of the concept of an early access title. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would think of wrting a meaningful review on day one of an incomplete game.
    But i guess it's totally not ridiculous if people write positive reviews on steam on day one of an incomplete game?
    I'd say we have to accept both ways. You paid for something, you write your opinion and what you think you got for your money's worth. Be it positive or negative.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    ReaperUk said:
    I've had a similar experience, but I haven't tried multiplayer yet.

A few family and friends are going to try and create a private server tonight. Hoping it works ok or we'll just wait for it to patch up.

We'll see how it goes.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NEXTLEVLNEXTLEVL Member UncommonPosts: 5
    As is the problem with Early Access, people always expecting a live server rendition.
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    edited January 2017
    Looks like sadly its not as good as I hoped. 453 negative reviews at the time of this post, 723 positive. That isn't a very good ratio.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/440900#app_reviews_hash

I don't have the game yet, but very disappointing. I was super hyped up about it, but looks like its another bad launch from Funcom. The reviews are looking to be very bad. Anything mixed and below is not a good sign at all.
    There is too much to say to fit it in a post on mmorpg.com

First of all, you´ve got the guys comparing it to rust or akr which have been in development for half a century already.

Then youve got the fact that it is launch day, and anything but a disaster is a huge success for any game.

Then youve got the fact that CE is lacking in a lot of ways. Performance, UI, AI, content (not much yet) and serious banter about the state of the game.

Then you have rubber banding and DCs which is arguably mostly the server providers fault.

Then youve got the pricing, which is arguably mostly Steam´s fault

Then youve got the Ark fanbois complaining about how they stole everything from Ark

Then youve got the Rust fan...things.... complaining about how they stole everything from Rust.

Then.....

Already too long for one post
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    One expects problems on launch day and even for the first few months.  But yes unless you're buying at a big discount you tell them as you see them.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Volgore said:
    ReaperUk said:
    But i guess it's totally not ridiculous if people write positive reviews on steam on day one of an incomplete game?
    I'd say we have to accept both ways. You paid for something, you write your opinion and what you think you got for your money's worth. Be it positive or negative.
    No, if you purchase EA to a game , experience , lag , disonnects .. bugs .. etc , and write anything like this ...
        You are a fucking idiot who doesnt have the same right to breathe air as others

These are quotes ....

GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE

More like Garbage Exiles - Zinger!

Not playable at all. Refund!

can't even join a ♥♥♥♥ing server, keep getting disconnected after 2 hours of trying. ♥♥♥♥ this game

Ohh this one is Epic .....

" What happend to releasing a game that is actually finished?"

This guys braincell is screaming out for companionship ....

Its EA Alpha , and its all right there for anyone to read ...

This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development...

Amazing the level of stupid  that purcahse EA and have no fucking idea what they are buying , then Nerdrage on forums ..

There is nothing wrong with EA , as long as you are aware of what  you are buying and are objective in your opinion   . The disclaimer is very clear on the state of the game ...                         

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited January 2017
    Steam reviews are POOP.  People don't take in account that it is an early access game or holds a grudge against Funcom because of former games.  I have seen this problem with many games on steam and I haven't even played Conan Exiles yet. But when I read a review I want a honest, educated review based on gameplay.  Not a knee jerk emotional reaction. People need to give all games a fair and honest chance after some time IN game.  In steam, I think reviews should be only added after a certain amount of time played. 

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I guess this is why most people should wait at least a month before buying a game. Even official full release games should wait a month. Look at No Man's Sky, it launched officially (not early access) and millions of people had to get refunds because of how bad it was.

While I'm still excited to see how Conan Exiles ends up being, its a good lesson to not buy a game right at release.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Side effect of having people pay to alpha test your game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Volgore said:
    Buccaneer said:

If you charge the full price of the finished product you have to live with people expressing their opinion about what they got for their money, regardless of a game's state in development.

If you can only deliver 50%, be ready for a crapstorm hitting your product or sell it at an entry price/early discount for starters.

Of course somebody is always going to pull the "but mmos are never finished" card here -but we're not talking about features, systems or land mass which of course will get added later on, but about baseline functions like UI, network, NPC spawning or combat. Visually, all the game offers is 10 year old graphics in a single, bleak and literally deserted environment of most boring color palette and technically it is a mess.

AoC is like 9(?) years old and it's code should have an insane level of polish by now, yet all they have adopted from AoC looks like shiz.

They can talk about their future plans and ideas in their live streams all night long, but it's just not going to happen. This game will die in the process of getting patched together before it reaches a reasonable state or everybody has left.

I've got no problem with people expressing their opinion; I actually find it helpful, especially if the negative reviews are focusing on bugs and game breaking flaws etc.  It means I avoid that game until the issues have been resolved because lets face it most of these EA games never seem to fully launch and the devs like to wheel out the EA excuse to answer questions about the games problems.

Even with the above my original answer still stands.  If someone buys in to an EA game expecting a nearly finished article and leaves disappointed due to the game being a buggy mess, then unfortunately the player is at fault and should of waited or researched the game better.  That big disclaimer on the Steam store page is there for a reason.  We the players have allowed companies to use EA as a way to gain a fast buck and the only way for this to change is for players to be more selective in their buying habits.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Way to early to draw conclusions.  Especially on launch day.  Everyone knows there are gonna be issues.  I'm willing to bet there were a bunch of fanboys and haters chomping at the bit to load up and rush to the reviews.

Give it  few weeks, then you'll start getting better reviews that are a bit more thought out.

I self identify as a monkey.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Its Funcom good luck with that...They have one good game and alot of garbage
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well to make a note of reviews and such ,i watched a female streamer with the title "I love this game".

So i watched and guess what lol,the ONLY thing she was doing is building her home...sigh zzzzzzz.How can you seriously say you love a game when your only doing one thing and that one thing can be done in pretty much 99.9% of all survival games.

So i guess my point is that a serious gamer,looking for a good quality GAME will rate it very low.Then the thousands of people that think pressing a key to collect sticks or rocks is FUN,they will be all over the 10/10.Simply put,a LOT of people out there seem to have  very low expectations from games and are ok with that and that is how you get over rated games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I wouldnt put to much stock in anybody complaining about a early access game. they are mostly just mad because they couldnt wait for it to be finished so they spent 30 bucks on something that everybody on the planet told them would be buggy till its a finished game.

I have played many EA games and every time i tell myself just have fun with whats there and if its to broken then put it down and come back in a month or so when they patch and fix things.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited February 2017
    Buccaneer said:

Exactly. It should be a pop up you have to agree to like an EULA.

I tried it myself, and for some reason I couldn't join anyone's server. "This Server no available in you region" or something along that line. I was trying to connect from Asia to an EU server with about a 150 ping. Ended up running my own server to try it out. I liek it better than Ark based on the feel of the game. The crafting could use some work though. Not polish, but rework.
    Sometimes the problem is the company depend so much on the IP they feel they can take more shortcuts with the game because the brand name will carry it through.