Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind expansion announced

Comments

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Jimmy562 said:
    Iselin said:
    An "expansion" for a game with regular DLCs is just kind of weird.
    I'm not sure it is. You could argue the DLC's are similiar to WoW's major patches, i.e. 7.1, 7.2 and so on. This is perfectly fine for a B2P game considering you get them for free if you sub.
    As long as I can upgrade with my stockpiled crowns I get from subbing, I'm fine with whatever they want to call it. If I can't buy it with crowns, I'll be pissed.
    Vidir said:
    If uou almredy bougt the unlimited game months ago and are paying monthly fee do you still have to pay for thks expantion?
    I'll take it that since its being called an expansion. We'll have to pay money for it.

Other games charge $ for expansions, be they F2P, B2P or P2P
    Yeah. But it's really DLC-sized. Smaller maybe even than Orsinium. 
    Where did you get this from? On the stream they said it was the biggest area they had ever made. They didnt say "oh its smaller than the last map" lol

Alt-Fact.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited January 2017
    Kniknax said:
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Jimmy562 said:
    Iselin said:
    I'm not sure it is. You could argue the DLC's are similiar to WoW's major patches, i.e. 7.1, 7.2 and so on. This is perfectly fine for a B2P game considering you get them for free if you sub.
    As long as I can upgrade with my stockpiled crowns I get from subbing, I'm fine with whatever they want to call it. If I can't buy it with crowns, I'll be pissed.
    Vidir said:
    If uou almredy bougt the unlimited game months ago and are paying monthly fee do you still have to pay for thks expantion?
    I'll take it that since its being called an expansion. We'll have to pay money for it.

Where did you get this from? On the stream they said it was the biggest area they had ever made. They didnt say "oh its smaller than the last map" lol

Alt-Fact.
    I got that from "30 hours of content"... have you played in Orsinium? It easily has 30 hours not including Maelstrom Arena.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• wsoul1wsoul1 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Iselin said:
    Ok there is a new class. Warden.

Earth based magic and a bear companion. 
    It's an old class from early beta. Warden NPCs have been in the game all a long.
    It's a new playable class in the game, regardless if it was scraped early in development. The Bear is just one of the Wardens "companions"
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Love new classes.  I would get it for that reason alone.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Jimmy562 said:
    Iselin said:
    Vidir said:

I'm with you but my fear is that they're sticking it to us with this and it's really going to piss me off.

I hope I'm wrong :( 
    It's official (from Gina Bruno):

No - Morrowind can only be purchased digitally or through a retailer. As it's not a DLC game pack but an entirely new Chapter, it will not be in the Crown Store.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    They had to find a way to get more people to pay so they're calling it an expansion even if it is the size of a DLC.  Everyone knows how they work by now, there should be no surprises here.
    what you mean? elaborate 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Iselin said:
    Kniknax said:
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Jimmy562 said:
    Iselin said:
    Vidir said:

Alt-Fact.
    I got that from "30 hours of content"... have you played in Orsinium? It easily has 30 hours not including Maelstrom Arena.
    Ummm. They said 300 hours worth of content.
  • RnjypsyRnjypsy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    ok...so let's say the digital upgrade is 60 bucks...since I think it is mostly vets of the game who are having a bitch fest.  If you only play it through on one character, never touch the area again, never do repeatable content, be it PvP or PvE, don't count the new class or any other "additions" that may be added.....that comes to approx, 2 dollars an hour for the 30 hours.  Just how much whining space does that deserve???
    donjn said:
    Iselin said:
    Kniknax said:
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Jimmy562 said:
    Iselin said:
    Vidir said:

Alt-Fact.
    My friend I think you're suffering from auditory hallucinations... care to link the time stamp where you thought you heard that?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Iselin said:
    donjn said:
    Iselin said:
    Kniknax said:
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Jimmy562 said:
    Iselin said:
    Vidir said:

Alt-Fact.
    My friend I think you're suffering from auditory hallucinations... care to link the time stamp where you thought you heard that?
    Just played it back and you are correct. He said 30 and 300 in the same sentence. Thirty seems a bit low. I would have preferred 50 minimum.
    They had to find a way to get more people to pay so they're calling it an expansion even if it is the size of a DLC.  Everyone knows how they work by now, there should be no surprises here.
    what you mean? elaborate 
    Why give subscribers the content for free when you can just change a label and tack on some digital goods?

• RnjypsyRnjypsy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Iselin said:
    donjn said:
    Iselin said:
    Kniknax said:
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Jimmy562 said:
    Iselin said:
    Vidir said:

Alt-Fact.
    they gave Morrowind 30 hours..when talking about new players they said they could then return to do the base game and dlc's for an additional 300 hours.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Iselin said:
    donjn said:
    Iselin said:
    Kniknax said:
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Jimmy562 said:
    Iselin said:
    Vidir said:

Alt-Fact.

"This June, the next Chapter in The Elder Scrolls Online will begin. Return to the iconic island of Vvardenfell for over 30 hours of adventure in a brand new location, with a new class, a new PvP mode, a new Trial, and so much more."

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2017/01/31/the-elder-scrolls-online-morrowind--announcement-and-details

Would be good to hear from devs how that hour figure is calculated. If it's time to get through story quests that may be just part of the value in the expansion. Not 300 hours though.
    I like the idea of a fighting pet, hope to see more in the future.  Wonder how they will balance it?

Aelious said:
    Iselin said:
    donjn said:
    Iselin said:
    Kniknax said:
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Jimmy562 said:
    Iselin said:
    Vidir said:

Alt-Fact.

"This June, the next Chapter in The Elder Scrolls Online will begin. Return to the iconic island of Vvardenfell for over 30 hours of adventure in a brand new location, with a new class, a new PvP mode, a new Trial, and so much more."

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2017/01/31/the-elder-scrolls-online-morrowind--announcement-and-details

Would be good to hear from devs how that hour figure is calculated. If it's time to get through story quests that may be just part of the value in the expansion. Not 300 hours though.
    300 is just how they characterize the base game.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    You are so wrong here. Its the biggest map added to the game. Stop spreading wrong info please.
    Hariken said:
    You are so wrong here. Its the biggest map added to the game. Stop spreading wrong info please.
    I'll apologize after I actually see it.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'm not seeing much of a point to my sub anymore. My crowns are just collecting dust, I've almost purchased all the DLC's during sale events and even though the crafting bag is really nice, It's not $15 a month nice.

Just call me the Unsub ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited January 2017
    I'm excited as hell for the expansion.

30 hours of content is a stand-alone RPG's worth of content these days - more in some cases. It also depends on one's play-style.

Regarldess, an entire land-mass to explore, all the additional content and side-quests and activities. I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time there.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It's not really an expansion though. Because it's a self contained game almost. You don't need to buy ESO, this comes with it. You don't need to go to original zones or DLC, because this levels to the level cap in Vvardenfel. It's more like a GW1 Campaign than anything else. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

You don't need to go to original zones or DLC, because this levels to the level cap in Vvardenfel. 
    Not sure about that. 30 hours of content doesn't sound like enough to get you to level 50... and certainly not to CP600 which will be the actual "level cap" as of Homestead next week.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    "Never" for ZoS means "until a later time when we change our mind". 
    I can definitely agree with that :)

$40 is peanuts. The $ is not the issue.

Not upgrade purchasable with crowns and calling one zone an expansion (2 or 3 zones might warrant the label) doesn't really jive with their Sub + DLC with ESO+ getting the DLC included with their previous (and by that I mean prior to today) business model.

For people who never sub and just buy DLC, it's business as usual: it's just a few $s more than what they're used to paying and, hey, a new class and 4v4v4 battlegrounds... what a deal!

It's those like me who actually sub, have subbed for a long time and have a pile of crowns unspent that this "screw you" is aimed at. It would cost them very little to at least offer the upgrade for crowns also. That they aren't speaks volumes about what they think of the ESO+ crowd.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    It's not really an expansion though. Because it's a self contained game almost. You don't need to buy ESO, this comes with it. You don't need to go to original zones or DLC, because this levels to the level cap in Vvardenfel. It's more like a GW1 Campaign than anything else. 
    But thats the new way F2P MMOs do expansions. Guild Wars 2 did the same thing.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    "Never" for ZoS means "until a later time when we change our mind". 
    I can definitely agree with that :)

$40 is peanuts. The $ is not the issue.

Not upgrade purchasable with crowns and calling one zone an expansion (2 or 3 zones might warrant the label) doesn't really jive with their Sub + DLC with ESO+ getting the DLC included with their previous (and by that I mean prior to today) business model.

For people who never sub and just buy DLC, it's business as usual: it's just a few $s more than what they're used to paying and, hey, a new class and 4v4v4 battlegrounds... what a deal!

It's those like me who actually sub, have subbed for a long time and have a pile of crowns unspent that this "screw you" is aimed at. It would cost them very little to at least offer the upgrade for crowns also. That they aren't speaks volumes about what they think of the ESO+ crowd.
    I share your sentiments.

I have no issues with the cost. One should be able to purchase the Xpac with $40 worth of crowns, or should I call them Zeni-bucks.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee