Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dauntless - Running the Dauntlet - Hands On Review & Impressions From PAX South 2017 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDauntless - Running the Dauntlet - Hands On Review & Impressions From PAX South 2017 - MMORPG.com

Dauntless was the game I was looking forward to seeing the most at PAX South. Phoenix Labs' giant-monster battler captured my, and a lot of other people's, attention with its splashy debut at the Video Game Awards late last year, and I couldn't wait to take my turn to hunt down a giant monster and mount its head on my virtual trophy wall.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• hellzerhellzer Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited January 2017
    Gameplay footage and release date or GTFO! Nobody is interested in that promise land bullshit anymore.
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

hellzer said:

Gameplay footage and release date or GTFO! Nobody is interested in that promise land bullshit anymore.

there were multiple gameplay videos released.
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619
    Not much promise land here. After looking into the game, its little more than Tera meets Skyforge. It seems like small single group instances (Skyforge) that have one single "Tera BAM" to fight. Not really sure what else there is, as there isnt much info. Maybe a "home" instance for you to decorate and land to farm, idk. No PVP options, and only very limited PVE in the form of a "single mob instance". And so far looks like maybe 4 of those to choose from, then its rinse and repeat. Gonna take time to have a real game develop out of this, but its a good starting point I suppose.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    hellzer said:

• NecroneusNecroneus Member UncommonPosts: 52
    edited January 2017
    I don't know why no one says: Monster Hunter. Is the best comparison, right?
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    This write up and video did make me look into this game. IMO they are missing something. Love an epic fight but between epic fights you need to fight fodder. The fields looked really empty and I think it would be fun to have mobs that are a variety of difficulty. Or the map just becomes somewhere to run from boss to boss over an adventure. Could also add depth to a boss fight having the boss flee to get help. Then have to fight your way back to the boss. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2017
    Why was Polygon allowed to post a video and this site is not?2 years,well small team then because that is 2 months work.
    None the less,i do like the combat,it seems very realistic,at least that Pangon did.I did see the Hammer guy not come close and got credit for a hit,so the hit box or something needs to be reworked.
    I also like that for once,in a very long time,i see Bosses in the open world and not instanced up,at least i hope that is open world and not instanced servers.
    The funny part is that i detest games that have players doing somersaults,here the Boss is doing somersaults lol,but that is actually plausible,given the type of of creature he looks to be.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I know it's supposed to be a Monster Hunter for PC, but is that all Mohan is? No smaller creatures? I'm not sure if I'd be interested for only 10+minute battles.
  • onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

aslan132 said:

Not much promise land here. After looking into the game, its little more than Tera meets Skyforge. It seems like small single group instances (Skyforge) that have one single "Tera BAM" to fight. Not really sure what else there is, as there isnt much info. Maybe a "home" instance for you to decorate and land to farm, idk. No PVP options, and only very limited PVE in the form of a "single mob instance". And so far looks like maybe 4 of those to choose from, then its rinse and repeat. Gonna take time to have a real game develop out of this, but its a good starting point I suppose.

If you read into the games that inspired this one you would have known that its not going to have pvp or its going to be more of a side game.

You also would have known that you fight one big monster as a group of 4. Just like you do in Monster Hunter. One of the games that this game took inspiration from.

I know it's supposed to be a Monster Hunter for PC, but is that all Mohan is? No smaller creatures? I'm not sure if I'd be interested for only 10+minute battles.

There are small creatures but the focus is big monsters.
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited February 2017
    Looks great for obviously being quite early! Keeping my eye on this game's progress for sure. I'd buy early access if I could.

We don't get a lot of these kinds of games over here (NA). At least not on the platforms we want. It's a huge bummer seeing Monster Hunter Online being kept in China with no signs of releasing elsewhere too. (Just like MH Frontier).

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265

aslan132 said:

If you read into the games that inspired this one you would have known that its not going to have pvp or its going to be more of a side game.

You also would have known that you fight one big monster as a group of 4. Just like you do in Monster Hunter. One of the games that this game took inspiration from.

It's very possible to have PvP modes in a game like this. Monster Hunter has done it before in MH2, Frontier, and MHOnline. It's usually 2 teams vs 2 monsters and who can bring one down first. (Or who can solo faster)

But MH2 was a bit more creative, You could "capture" monsters and level them up and play a mode that was 1v1 and each hunter commanded their beasts with flute items. All while fighting to try and kill the other player's monster.

(Both of these games never saw release outside of asia. Go figure.)

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    "Phoenix Labs is the Rebirth of Great Gaming Experiences" Looks like a Everquest Next model recycle to me. Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but it seems like doe eyed Disney cartoons is all NA have to offer new, nty.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Why is it we are continuing to see games with less and less depth?  While a game like might be initially fun, I see no long term play.

Ozmodan said:

Why is it we are continuing to see games with less and less depth?  While a game like might be initially fun, I see no long term play.

I take it you have never played a Monster Hunter game before have you? Its now Capcom's biggest franchise.

The depth comes from customizing your character's Armor skills and Weapons to compliment each other. Along with getting better at reading monsters and fighting them more efficiently.

That's also before getting into what items to bring to a fight to utilize against a monster.
  • zeekyfreakzeekyfreak Member UncommonPosts: 8
    What makes me sad is that no one ever mentions PSOBB when talking about these games. It was a masterpiece and basically pioneered the "monster hunter" genre. Can't seem to find a single game thats come close to giving me that feeling again, but this may do it if this is really only 2 years of dev time.