Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online - The New Margoria Expansion is a Refreshing Change of Pace - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlack Desert Online - The New Margoria Expansion is a Refreshing Change of Pace - MMORPG.com

This past week the Black Desert Online world grew much larger, adding an absolutely massive ocean in its newest expansion, Margoria. Here are my thoughts and first experiences playing around with this nautical content patch.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited January 2017
    "That’s exactly what Margoria is. It’s Black Desert’s coffee break. One big, beautiful, intense coffee break, and that’s perfectly okay."

I think BDO has plenty of coffee breaks. Whaling, crafting, hunting, scheduled sieges, amenity games, fishing etc etc etc.

The problem with BDO's gameplay to me is there's nothing but work besides the coffee breaks (i.e. grinding on mobs). I don't think the game needs more coffee breaks, I think it needs substantial improvement to the meat of the game, or at the very least greatly increase the rewards for participating in siege warfare so it feels worth doing.

I'm curious if the few on this site that were excited about this expansion for the past 5 months or so will ever participate in it, let alone realize there's not much to it.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I'm curious if the few on this site that were excited about this expansion for the past 5 months or so will ever participate in it, let alone realize there's not much to it.

To me, this is the beginning of the next big stage, and that's the continent on the other side of the ocean. I'm curious what THAT new content brings. This is the appetizer.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Still very little end game content.  Does not excite me to go back.

To me, this is the beginning of the next big stage, and that's the continent on the other side of the ocean. I'm curious what THAT new content brings. This is the appetizer.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but from what I've seen of Kamasilve, it looks like the main additions will be new areas to grind in that are not as efficient as grinding at sausans or pirates, just like Valencia, so nobody in their right minds will really go there.  Valencia is an amazing zone that is currently basically empty because there's nothing worth doing there, despite tons of amazing resources.  I expect Kamasilve to be the same and haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Well, I for one will enjoy this stuff but I suppose I'm not the usual mmo player. I play for my own reasons and can find enjoyment in what these games offer on my own.

I don't require efficient grinding, or maximum results or end game. I suspect I'm not the only one who plays this way.

It's a shame that that's what these games have come down to.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

DMKano said:

just like the huge desert, this will be laregely untouched by players grinding Sausans and Pirates.

*Susan's
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
    edited January 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Well, I for one will enjoy this stuff but I suppose I'm not the usual mmo player. I play for my own reasons and can find enjoyment in what these games offer on my own.

I don't require efficient grinding, or maximum results or end game. I suspect I'm not the only one who plays this way.

It's a shame that that's what these games have come down to.

I actually think it's great that you enjoy the game that way and I do think it's the best way to play BDO and really the only enjoyable way, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a game to make you feel rewarded for your time.

Like you said, you're not a usual mmo player.  Most people want to feel like it's "worth" doing something if they're going to put hours into it.

The frustrating part of it to me is the game has plenty of stuff to do already in the game right now.  There are tons of groups of mobs, siege warfare is expansive and implemented, there are mysterious dungeons with very tough mobs.  There are cool mechanics like the desert weather and loss of map capabilities in the desert.

But none of it is as rewarding as grinding at Sausans or Pirates.  Seriously all they have to do is adjust loot tables and the rewards from sieges and the game is instantly pretty great, gameplay-wise.
    edited January 2017
    DMKano said:

Ozmodan said:

The best thing they did was weapon awakenigs - this brought players back as it gave more unique options per class.

What they need to do is put in class specific armors with multiple specs (AP and DP variants) and class specific ability boosters.

It is mind boggling to me that the same boss armor is BiS for every single class - so uninspiring.

Also completely change the current gear upgrade system - its complete cancer.
    i have never heard a single player who likes the gear upgrade system in BDO.

Um, staggered awakening release was the dumbest thing they did, imo.  I stopped playing for 6 months because I wasn't going to play my witch without an awakening against people with awakenings.

At best it was an extremely artificial way to keep people interested in the game.

New specs and stuff is a nice idea, but it won't matter if the only place to use them is 2 grinding areas that have been in the game almost since the beginning.
  • RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    DMKano said:
    just like the huge desert, this will be laregely untouched by players grinding Sausans and Pirates.

I'm ok with that. It's nice that players that want to grind can go grind and people that want to explore can go explore and people that want to realize that shooting that big whale thing in the new zone while on a fishing boat was a really bad idea and spend the next 10 minutes sailing for their lives (not that I did that or anything).
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    edited January 2017
    As long as the game gives me the options that I enjoy I do not see why it such an issue with others who seem to just dismiss these additions because they personally aren't interested in them.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Well had quite misadventures trying to reach the  Continent and ended up stuck sent a ticket and GM sorted me out. Ended up going on a NPC boat :proud:
  • alancodealancode Member UncommonPosts: 163
    I want to love this game. I cannot. I can't play a game where the costumes and outfits that you can purchase are so much better looking than the ones you can craft or earn in the game, I just cannot do it. I LOATHE cash shops UGH. 

(-_-)

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    alancode said:
    I want to love this game. I cannot. I can't play a game where the costumes and outfits that you can purchase are so much better looking than the ones you can craft or earn in the game, I just cannot do it. I LOATHE cash shops UGH. 

if appearances is what is keeping you from playing, I don't know what to tell you

DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

Ozmodan said:

The best thing they did was weapon awakenigs - this brought players back as it gave more unique options per class.

What they need to do is put in class specific armors with multiple specs (AP and DP variants) and class specific ability boosters.

It is mind boggling to me that the same boss armor is BiS for every single class - so uninspiring.

Also completely change the current gear upgrade system - its complete cancer.
    i have never heard a single player who likes the gear upgrade system in BDO.

Um, staggered awakening release was the dumbest thing they did, imo.  I stopped playing for 6 months because I wasn't going to play my witch without an awakening against people with awakenings.

At best it was an extremely artificial way to keep people interested in the game.

New specs and stuff is a nice idea, but it won't matter if the only place to use them is 2 grinding areas that have been in the game almost since the beginning.

Once you hit 250DP and 250+ AP there are new grind areas that are better than both pirates and Sausans.

But yes, since nobody does open world PvP anymore in BDO, might as well just put camp spots everywhere.

250 dp/ap is pretty crazy, though.  You can probably get to Sausans in like 3 days after starting the game, then stay there for a year before there's a substantially better grind spot. 
  • RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    alancode said:
    I'm the opposite, I really want the cash shop to have a costume token that turns armor into a wearable cosutme so I don't have to choose between looking like Miss America or a tree.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Honestly cannot get into these action oriented, combat games. I don't know if it is because I'm getting older. I've tried playing BDO, Wildstar, even ESO I can't focus and enjoy it as much as traditional tab target.

BDO is fun to play, and the update looks great. I'm glad they are capable of making somewhat of a come back from their launch. I experienced it first hand, and it was rough.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• LoudWisperLoudWisper Member UncommonPosts: 76
    i wish they could notice what its not and what it is missing.   explore of the road.........
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    People still dont get it. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Honestly cannot get into these action oriented, combat games. I don't know if it is because I'm getting older.
    It depends on what you don't like. I'm 49 and I absolutely prefer them. It's faster for me to turn and face a specific attacker over having to tab over several attackers and hope that I stop on the right one.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AdmannAdmann Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited January 2017

250 dp/ap is pretty crazy, though.  You can probably get to Sausans in like 3 days after starting the game, then stay there for a year before there's a substantially better grind spot. 

I never understood this mentality. There are plenty of better or alternative grind spots to Sausans/Pirates. I just recently grinded a new character to reroll my class and only spent a little over an hour at Sausans, then just a few hours at Pirates before getting my level 56 awakening and switching over to Desert Fogans. Total time to work up to that for a new player would probably only be a week of playing, while still finding time to do quests and lifeskills. I usually avoid Pirates so I don't have to take a 25 minute boat ride every time I find some free time to grind, then deal with a huge amount of people fighting over a couple spots. Depending on what flavor you're looking for there's also Gahaz, Cadry, Sulfur Mines, Basilisks, and Crescents. The only ones that are locked behind a pretty steep gear/level wall are Pila Ku, Aakman, and Hysteria.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    It's funny, this game you pretty much grind just to grind better. I really wish it had more soul to it, but it really never has.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I mentioned it before...

"Black Desert Online is beautiful! but like a Desert, it's extremely empty! Lots of land exists and many areas waiting to be explored, however these area offer nothing for the player character; Just a dose of amazing graphics and lighting effects. The more that is added to Black Desert Online, the emptier it feels.

At the heart of the game is an endless grindfest involving every activity the player character participates in; Even failure is a grind as failstacking is an interesting concept where success during failstacking becomes utter failure. Add to this a boring and inane story, and one is left with the reason why pure sandbox gaming can not simply be an MMORPG without a story.

There is a lack of community, lack of collaboration, and most of all, a lack of heart in a world thought of with the greatest of heart by developers in its size and shape. Some God representing MMORPGs appeared in the sky and chose to create a world in Six Days to mimic Genesis, and decided to give up on the Fifth Day and completely forgot about the sixth day...

...Developers need to create that Sixth Day."
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Sovrath said:

Honestly cannot get into these action oriented, combat games. I don't know if it is because I'm getting older.

It depends on what you don't like. I'm 49 and I absolutely prefer them. It's faster for me to turn and face a specific attacker over having to tab over several attackers and hope that I stop on the right one.

I'm going to mail you an AARP card.
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Always sad to see so much development time wasted on content that few will experience and even fewer will regularly use. This game is sadly missing some worthwhile content and they are hell bent on avoiding adding it at all costs.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

Tiller said:

It's funny, this game you pretty much grind just to grind better. I really wish it had more soul to it, but it really never has.

Grind can be fun, some good music and mindless killing. But most of the time my guild, got events. Fish events, guildboss, scrolls, pvp arena etc