Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kid-Centric MMO Shutting Down in March - Club Penguin - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageKid-Centric MMO Shutting Down in March - Club Penguin - MMORPG.com

Club Penguin News - One of the first successful MMOs for children, Disney's Club Penguin, will be closing for good on March 29th. The game has been in service since 2005 with nearly 200M registered users by 2013. Starting February 1st, players will be able to take part in celebratory activities including the lifting of membership and a series of activities hinted at by a picture on the announcement page.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    So many memories playing this with my daughter -- first while she sat on my lap, later with me on my laptop sitting next to her at the table top. We had some amazing times together.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Even kids are leaving the MMO genre to play something else! Doom I tell you.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Thank you for posting this article SBFord.

In the ocean of pure fighting games all around, FPS, Survival games, PvP based MMORPGs and PvE MMORPGs that.. well I dont actually know what incoming PvE games are meant to be these days.

It is really nice to see a small fragment in the list of games, that has a more cheerful tone.

The mobile market does not appeal to me and all in all I kind of regret to see so many sweet, cute, cheerful games go in that direction.

One of the few games I remember playing, that I enjoyed earlier on, were games like Sid Mayer's Pirates. A game like that one were not exclusively for children and parents with young children. Would have liked more games like that.

I should probably investigate the market a bit more often or try to figure out, where to find cheerful games of the Pirates kind. If they exists.
    And mix these games with ESO.

But it was really a nice article to see in the ocean of "Must be harder, more challenging and must have more extreme everything" themed games.

Anyone know a site that shows upcoming cheerful games? Not specifically little kids games, just cheerful games that all ages can enjoy and play?

When I check out Amazon every now and then, its either Lego games or Hell themed games in all kinds of packages.

• TatsuyaHirokiTatsuyaHiroki Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited January 2017
    For some reason I kind of expected this to happen

such a shame though

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    This is a telling of the times, both my girls are grown up now but can remember playing this with my younger daughter, I think it was her first on computer game :)
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Sad.. the same happened with Toon Town.
    Guess they only want to focus on the mobile version.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I don't know much about the game but I don't believe we should be teaching children to club penguins or generally club any arctic creatures.  We all know how club baby seal went. 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    DMKano said:

TENTING said:

Thank you for posting this article SBFord.

In the ocean of pure fighting games all around, FPS, Survival games, PvP based MMORPGs and PvE MMORPGs that.. well I dont actually know what incoming PvE games are meant to be these days.

It is really nice to see a small fragment in the list of games, that has a more cheerful tone.

The mobile market does not appeal to me and all in all I kind of regret to see so many sweet, cute, cheerful games go in that direction.

One of the few games I remember playing, that I enjoyed earlier on, were games like Sid Mayer's Pirates. A game like that one were not exclusively for children and parents with young children. Would have liked more games like that.

I should probably investigate the market a bit more often or try to figure out, where to find cheerful games of the Pirates kind. If they exists.

And mix these games with ESO.

But it was really a nice article to see in the ocean of "Must be harder, more challenging and must have more extreme everything" themed games.

Anyone know a site that shows upcoming cheerful games? Not specifically little kids games, just cheerful games that all ages can enjoy and play?

When I check out Amazon every now and then, its either Lego games or Hell themed games in all kinds of packages.

Try Trove - where else can you have a suhi roll as a mount? ;)

Trove is the ultimate Kid/Parent co-op game. My daughter and I have wasted many hours in Trove.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I don't know much about the game but I don't believe we should be teaching children to club penguins or generally club any arctic creatures.  We all know how club baby seal went. 
    Ugh......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon