Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - The Year of the Rooster - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 - The Year of the Rooster - MMORPG.com

The Lunar New Year has been a historically popular festival for Guild Wars 2, despite its comparatively small impact on the world and limited events. Tt is an extremely profitable time to be playing with some special rewards that benefit both old and new players. It also remains one of the few festivals now that is getting yearly love from development, as the theme of the festival changes according to the zodiac for the year.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Year of the what? That's not what it's called.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited January 2017
    That's my birth year. Yea!!!
    People born in the Year of Rooster according to Chinese zodiac have many excellent characteristics, such as being honest, bright, communicative and ambitious. Most of them are born pretty or handsome, and prefer to dress up. In daily life, they seldom rely on others. However, they might be enthusiastic about something quickly, but soon be impassive. Thus, they need to have enough faiths and patience to insist on one thing.

• Strengths
      Independent, capable, warm-hearted, self-respect, quick minded
    • Weaknesses
      Impatient, critical, eccentric, narrow-minded, selfish

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Insert comment from Overwatch thread about pandering to Chinese market.....
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I wish...this would be the year someone created a true successor to GW1.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Horusra said:
    This is actually about Cantha, the Asian region from GW1.
    That's why you have the "Memories of Home" buff enabled during this time.

Tekaelon said:
    Oh please add more comments like this. The game has only been out for 4 years and we can never get enough of people who are still whining that they didn't get another instance based co-op rpg.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Because GW1 was so good and even if there are a lot of games, none of these are like it.

Because GW1 was so good and even if there are a lot of games, none of these are like it.
    That's because the only way to make an instance based co-op rpg without real time dodging in 2017 without looking silly would be if you are a die hard old school indie studio living on kickstarter money.

GW2 is fine for what it is.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    This column would have been more welcome if it had been done in a timely manner so those of us who have been preoccupied with other things could have participated. The festival started two weeks ago and it's been said on their forums that it ends today or tomorrow. :/
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

GW1 was mediocre due to the massive imbalance caused by having two professions. A.Net learned their lessons on what not to do, unfortunately most of those people don't work for A.Net any more.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

Dakeru said:

Horusra said:

Tekaelon said:

Oh please add more comments like this. The game has only been out for 4 years and we can never get enough of people who are still whining that they didn't get another instance based co-op rpg.

To satisfy your request...even after 4 years it would be amazing if a developer would make a MMO with the fantastic lore and amazing PvP of the original Guild Wars. A game born from innovative vision and passion rather this soulless grinder birthed from marketing research. Guild Wars 1, the game, even instanced, that will forever be greater than it's poorly conceived sequel.

Cheers
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Gw2 is fine for what it is.

There is also room for a GW1 successor.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Year of the Rooster, or year of the Feather Duster?

Sorry couldnt resist, I blame filmoret.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Dakeru said:
    Horusra said:

Tekaelon said:
    Dakeru, I normally respect your opinions, but his "whining" is fair here. I am one of the more avid Guild Wars 2 players on these forums and yet I still miss the glory days of Guild Wars 1. It was a special game that cannot be justly described as just another instance based co-op RPG. Vindictus, Dragon's Nest and other such instanced CRPG's are shallow shells in comparison to Guild Wars 1. It was deep. It was challenging. It expanded on support, debuffs, and crowd control in ways that no other game has. It had arguably the deepest, most flexible class system of all time, and people still praise it for this above all else.

There are certainly things that Guild Wars 2 has improved on from its predecessor. It's a more beautiful game. It has a more open world. It has a more fun combat system. It is the best fashion MMO on the market. But it isn't Guild Wars 1, and many of us do long for a spiritual successor to that game.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Dakeru said:
    That's because the only way to make an instance based co-op rpg without real time dodging in 2017 without looking silly would be if you are a die hard old school indie studio living on kickstarter money.

I dunno, low budget game have become rather popular even with larger publishers. Steam is filled with games that uses older technology or ideas.

I am rather surprised that there aren't any CORPG kickstarters, it is a rather fun sub genre and way easier to make then either a themepark or sandbox MMORPG. I don't think anyone made a CORPG since Star trek Online and there is actually room in the genre for a good one, neither GW nor DDO have aged with dignity and STO were never that good. 

As for GW2 there is one thing from the first game I really want to see: "Hardmode" or a hard serverset.

The open world is way too easy (well, besides that 3 headed wurm in BTC), set the difficulty to what it was in the first beta weekend, it can't be hard since they nerfed it down close to current in the 2 weeks between BW 1 & 2. Same thing with the dungeons and personal story, they had the difficulty just right and I don't think I would be the only hardmode player, it was rather popular in GW1.
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    edited January 2017

Loke666 said:

Dakeru said:

I dunno, low budget game have become rather popular even with larger publishers. Steam is filled with games that uses older technology or ideas.

I am rather surprised that there aren't any CORPG kickstarters, it is a rather fun sub genre and way easier to make then either a themepark or sandbox MMORPG. I don't think anyone made a CORPG since Star trek Online and there is actually room in the genre for a good one, neither GW nor DDO have aged with dignity and STO were never that good. 

As for GW2 there is one thing from the first game I really want to see: "Hardmode" or a hard serverset.

The open world is way too easy (well, besides that 3 headed wurm in BTC), set the difficulty to what it was in the first beta weekend, it can't be hard since they nerfed it down close to current in the 2 weeks between BW 1 & 2. Same thing with the dungeons and personal story, they had the difficulty just right and I don't think I would be the only hardmode player, it was rather popular in GW1.

Agreed, hardmode + slower leveling curve could get me back into the game,maybe some open pvp spots on high level farming areas where everyone one seems as an enemy (black shadow character , you can't party and if you stay close to another player for too long without killing him you both get a poison debuff. If you die in that area you lose everything you have on you, except for your 3 top valued items,this gives you the option to farm slowly wearing only weapon and 2 pieces of armor, or farm faster but with the risk of losing gear... Anyone that dies loses all the materials he tried to gather from the mobs.. Oh and you can't just simply stand and wait, you have to be killing mobs or other players else you get poison debuff. Pve characters can buy the items you gather at that place with normal game gold... I guess my comment is already unrelated at all, just a system i would enjoy i guess, but i really like gw2, so yeah, in gw2 it could work well.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

Aeander said:
    It had arguably the deepest, most flexible class system of all time, and people still praise it for this above all else.

That is very subjective of you. The game has meta builds that are stronger than other builds.
    Just go back and see. No one would run without the spirit trinity on their Hero builds.

And that is pretty much my point. People are so heavy in their rose tinted nostalgia glasses that they forgot about all the flaws of the first game.

Overall the one valid critical point is that GW2's story and narrative is weaker.
    However no one would argue that is has improved a lot since season 2.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Aeander said:
    It had arguably the deepest, most flexible class system of all time, and people still praise it for this above all else.

That is very subjective of you. The game has meta builds that are stronger than other builds.
    Just go back and see. No one would run without the spirit trinity on their Hero builds.

And that is pretty much my point. People are so heavy in their rose tinted nostalgia glasses that they forgot about all the flaws of the first game.

Overall the one valid critical point is that GW2's story and narrative is weaker.
    However no one would argue that is has improved a lot since season 2.
    It really isn't subjective though. Modern CRPG's are typically linear and aimed at hack and slash content in repeating missions. Guild Wars 1 placed its emphasis on knowledge, skill building, and team build synergy. This gives it more in common with games like Pillars of Eternity or Divinity Original Sin in terms of design philosophy, though the camera angles and gameplay are obviously different. Where it sets itself apart is the way it uses instances to its advantage. Instances keep the playing field level and allow for difficulty settings, as is seen even today, but no other game quite captures the counterbuilding for each mission that Guild Wars 1 did. Every build had to suffice for an entire mission, so more knowledge of the encounters was involved.

Also, calling a game bad because of balance issues is a joke. Every game has balance issues. Guild Wars 2 has entire weapons and utility lines that are deemed weak. For a long time, entire trait lines were unused. Hell, certain professions (namely Necromancers in PvE and Rangers everywhere) were deemed undesirable for half of the game's lifespan. Not to mention, if 25% of Guild Wars 1's skills were viable, it would still have more viable builds than Guild Wars 2. And that's exactly how things are. We're still in a meta, but an even smaller one. If I'm wearing rose tinted glasses, you're wearing blinders.
    Aeander said:

Also, calling a game bad because of balance issues is a joke. 
    Nowhere did I call GW1 a bad game. It's a fantastic game. It would even be fantastic if a small indie company would make a game like this now.
    But it's naive to think a AAA company would recreate this game after 2010.

What I am criticizing is that so many guys join in here "Lolol GW1 THE SUPERIOR GAME!!!" when they are completely leaving out the flaws of GW1.

If the skill system of GW1 was that superior then The Secret World would have been an overwhelming success because the system is pretty much identical.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Aeander said:

Also, calling a game bad because of balance issues is a joke. 
    Nowhere did I call GW1 a bad game. It's a fantastic game. It would even be fantastic if a small indie company would make a game like this now.
    But it's naive to think a AAA company would recreate this game after 2010.

What I am criticizing is that so many guys join in here "Lolol GW1 THE SUPERIOR GAME!!!" when they are completely leaving out the flaws of GW1.

If the skill system of GW1 was that superior then The Secret World would have been an overwhelming success because the system is pretty much identical.
    The skill system alone can't hold up the game. The Secret World had a similar skill system (that was smaller in scope), along with a fantastic story, but it failed in every other conceivable way. Broken, gear-based PvP. Mostly uninspired PvE quests (barring the password style quests). Infamously bad combat. Hammy animations and facial expressions. Extreme mob density. Unfun travel. The list goes on.

Guild Wars 1 wasn't just a build system. It also had stellar PvP, a wide scope of PvE content, a generous business model, and basically set the standard for horizontal progression in both PvE and PvP. The Secret World may be the closest thing we have to a true successor, but it sure was a slapdash one.