Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The difference between Conan Exiles and Dark and Light - Why one is obviously better

13»

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Forgrimm said:
    Just the fact that Dark and Light offers both PvP and PvE servers makes it interesting. Still waiting for a good sandboxish game with PvE servers.
    Conan Exiles has pve and pvp servers as well.
    Doesn't look like a "true" MMORPG though. And it's Funcom and their heavily zoned engine... unless they changed ?

I'll be watching both anyway :)

EDIT: I've just read "seamless world", so I stand corrected.
    I was so disappointed by the Age of Conan MMORPG and Funcom's behavior that I was honestly not watching that new Conan closely enough.

Same. Honestly, if it plays well it could lift them from the gutter, because it seems quite feature rich. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BensorBensor Member UncommonPosts: 66
    (...)
    The more people do this kind of thread, the more I'll hate the game the praise. Because it's fishy. FYI.
  • Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537
    Forgrimm said:
    Just the fact that Dark and Light offers both PvP and PvE servers makes it interesting. Still waiting for a good sandboxish game with PvE servers.
    Doesn't look like a "true" MMORPG though. And it's Funcom and their heavily zoned engine... unless they changed ?

I was so disappointed by the Age of Conan MMORPG and Funcom's behavior that I was honestly not watching that new Conan closely enough.
    Neither of these two games are MMORPG's at all, they're survival games. Conan is going to have 70 player servers during Early Access, DnL said 70-100.

Funcom are being honest and marketing their survival game as a survival game. Whilst Snail are trying to market it as an MMO, and it's going to leave a hell of a lot of people feeling very cheated.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Adam1902 said:
    Forgrimm said:

Neither of these two games are MMORPG's at all, they're survival games. Conan is going to have 70 player servers during Early Access, DnL said 70-100.

Funcom are being honest and marketing their survival game as a survival game. Whilst Snail are trying to market it as an MMO, and it's going to leave a hell of a lot of people feeling very cheated.
    Where does it say MMO here?:  http://www.playdnl.com/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2017
    Iselin said:
    Adam1902 said:
    Forgrimm said:

It's all over the MMO-related websites, Conan is not. It's tagged "massively multiplayer" on Steam (false advertising), Conan is not.

I just get the impression that their marketing team is aiming to push their product towards MMO players. And I have a hunch that they're trying to do this because they plan for no unofficial (community) server hosting, combined with cash shop / potential P2W elements (only MMO players will tolerate this crap). Obviously this is only my assumption, based on the fact that they're a Chinese company and I have played their mobile games.

_________

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Adam1902 said:
    Iselin said:
    Adam1902 said:
    Forgrimm said:

It's all over the MMO-related websites, Conan is not. It's tagged "massively multiplayer" on Steam (false advertising), Conan is not.

I just get the impression that their marketing team is aiming to push their product towards MMO players. And I have a hunch that they're trying to do this because they plan for no unofficial server hosting, combined with cash shop / potential P2W elements. Obviously this is only my assumption, based on the fact that they're a Chinese company and I have played their mobile games.
    This very site calls Path of Exile an MMORPG... I beg to differ. Steam tags are added by users - not the developers. If the developers themselves are calling it an MMO then there'd be a point to call them dishonest or talk about "false advertising" but I'm not seeing them doing that.

All of this D&L as an MMORPG talk simply stems from what it once was 10 years ago but I haven't seen Snail refer to this new incarnation that way.

That's not to say that I think it's good or better than CE or any other such thing. But I reserve calling developers dishonest for when that's actually justified.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Adam1902 said:
    Iselin said:
    Adam1902 said:
    Forgrimm said:

I just get the impression that their marketing team is aiming to push their product towards MMO players. And I have a hunch that they're trying to do this because they plan for no unofficial server hosting, combined with cash shop / potential P2W elements. Obviously this is only my assumption, based on the fact that they're a Chinese company and I have played their mobile games.
    This very site calls Path of Exile an MMORPG... I beg to differ. Steam tags are added by users - not the developers. If the developers themselves are calling it an MMO then there'd be a point to call them dishonest or talk about "false advertising" but I'm not seeing them doing that.

All of this D&L as an MMORPG talk simply stems from what it once was 10 years ago but I haven't seen Snail refer to this new incarnation that way.

That's not to say that I think it's good or better than CE or any other such thing. But I reserve calling developers dishonest for when that's actually justified.
    Actually, yeah you do have a point. I suppose new-DnL has became a hot topic amongst MMO consumers because of its past iteration. But if Snail chose to keep the name, very smart and tactical IMO.

Personally I'm looking forward to, and will definitely be trying out both games. But I must say I'm more stoked for Conan. Admittedly, this probably has to do with the fact it's just a few days away, and the footage and information we have is more complete and I know what we're getting.

Also my pessimistic presumption that DnL will be a survival game with official servers only, more long-term progression than traditional survival games combined with microtransactions to speed up the progress is very strong. I can really see this one coming, it's very clever too.

_________

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    How about a server where you're all alone to avoid all the arseholes that will come and spoil your fun. You will be like on a vast desert isle and probably die there a lot . Guess it won't work and you would have paid full price for the privilege of dying over and over again. Might be an option I just don't want others to come and destroy all my hard work.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Age of Conan had dozens, if not hundreds, of screenshots and videos of their very pretty game floating around for weeks before release.  The hype factor for this game was so high, and when it released they sold nearly two million copies.

Guess what?  It was shit.  After you got to level 40 the bugs that should have been fixed long ago started crawling out of the woodwork.  By the time you were level 65 there was no more content, and all you could do was grind to get to the level cap.

So with a multi-million sold box player base, and a lot of very detailed information on how to fix the game, what did they do?  THEY ANNOUNCED THEY WERE PULLING RESOURCES AWAY FROM AOC TO MAKE THE SECRET WORLD.

No wonder people abandoned AoC in droves, and no wonder there are thousands of players (like me) that will never sully their hands on a Funcom product ever, ever again.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    AAAMEOW said:
    Reminds me of Age of Conan...

I'm never playing another Funcon game again.
    I felt scammed with Age of Conan after i finished Tortage. I learned my lesson there. And since then I promised to myself to be carefull with Funcom. I'm of course interested in Conan Exiles and in many other games, but no monies until game is out, people played it and I can read tons of reviews and opinions of gamers.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'm not really concerned with what others see as "better." For setting and feature purposes I think DnL looks far better for me. Maybe it's a matter of it being Snail, which may have credence, but I will be passing on CE and getting DnL unless it's clear it won't be a quality title.