Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Quest X Localization Campaign

ImutoneImutone Member UncommonPosts: 20
edited January 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Dear Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy XI, and MMORPG fans in general, you might be interested to hear about a MMORPG called Dragon Quest X! This is the 10th installment of the Dragon Quest series!  

The basic plot is rather traditional but has an interesting start. You are a human living in the village of Etene when your village is attacked by the Lord of Hell, Nelgel. Your soul is then transported to a shrine where you pick one of the five non-human tribes. Check out the race types here. The rest is spoiler territory.

Dragon Quest X shines brightly with the side stories and gameplay elements. Each side story is unique and has characters with much love put into the characterization. But that’s not the part you want to hear. Let’s talk about the main appeal. Gameplay.

DQX fans that have also played FFXI have told me gameplay was similar between the two. Let me highlight some of the best parts of the game:

• The game is a Horizontal Progression MMORPG
  • Classes have tons of min-maxing (+/-) for any fight, event, and situation you can think of.
  • Nearly unlimited combination of overarching skill builds. At least until you max the classes of course.
  • You are HIGHLY encouraged to max out each class.
  • You can do all of this in a timely fashion without spending 12 hours a day on the game.
  • Don’t worry about subscriptions! The game offers a “Kids’ Time” on weekdays from 4 PM to 6 PM and on weekends from 1 pm to 3pm, you can play the game for free.
  • And my personal favorite: Teaming up with online players is optional. You can hire AI when friends are away. This successfully caters to fans of both JRPGs and MMOs.

You will enjoy Dragon Quest X if you are looking for a different MMORPG experience. As of now, there is no English release. However, there IS a campaign going on to bring the game to the west. Please read the details here and help bring it to the west! If you want to play the game right now, then check out the Dragon’s Den DQX forums for help. Everyone is lovely on there and is more than willing to help any with questions you have.

Yoshi-P, the director of FFXIV, encourages subscribers to play other MMORPGs. I am almost certain this would be the top one on his list. The game really is an amazing experience that everyone should enjoy. 

Post edited by Imutone on

Comments

• ImutoneImutone Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Here's some gameplay.

Here's a trailer for the game.

And a strange but amusing little bonus. 
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    I could be wrong but I believe I read this is one of the games scheduled for the Nintendo Switch system but with no release date at this time...?
    Emeraq said:
    I could be wrong but I believe I read this is one of the games scheduled for the Nintendo Switch system but with no release date at this time...?
    For Japan only. There's an IP block so even without the region lock, we still can't really play it without going to hell and back with VPN. 

If you need any ideas on what to exactly include in your ticket, be honest. Talk about how you would love to see something new and refreshing in the MMORPG market. Or talk about how you have been interested in the Dragon Quest series but would rather try the MMO aspect over the RPG aspect first.

Just remember to be polite. 

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Meh

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    I don't know Japanese, but I'm pretty sure that the text in the picture says "This game is pay to win."

More seriously, just because the Japanese version uses one business model doesn't mean that a western publisher that picked it up would do the same.
    Quizzical said:
    I don't know Japanese, but I'm pretty sure that the text in the picture says "This game is pay to win."

More seriously, just because the Japanese version uses one business model doesn't mean that a western publisher that picked it up would do the same.
    I apologize if I'm misreading anything in advance but the game is subscription based. While you can buy goods in the DQX store, the game is 100% playable and beatable without having to spend another dime. 

If Square Enix does bring this over, I would think they would keep the same model. Perhaps a dual subscription bundle with FFXIV. 
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    edited January 2017
    This game is made and published by Square Enix. I would expect the same company to publish the game in the west.  

The Mmo is P2P. I don't think Square has a P2W mmo. 

Kumapon said:
    This game is made and published by Square Enix. I would expect the same company to publish the game in the west.  

Yeah, definitely not the "Free to play but not really!" garbage. 

More like FFIX. I say IX because that's what English DQX fans who have played both XIV and IX tell me. 

Imutone said:
    Quizzical said:

I apologize if I'm misreading anything in advance but the game is subscription based. While you can buy goods in the DQX store, the game is 100% playable and beatable without having to spend another dime. 

If Square Enix does bring this over, I would think they would keep the same model. Perhaps a dual subscription bundle with FFXIV. 
    Uncharted Waters Online is a subscription game in Japan, too.  It took them five years after the Japanese launch to make an English language version of it, and once they finally did, the English version was "free to play" with an item mall that was actively trying to make the game pay to win.  Which is odd, as the basic game mechanics are remarkably resilient to pay to win, to the extent that making the best gear in the game come from random boxes scarcely merits more than a shrug.
    Quizzical said:
    Uncharted Waters Online is a subscription game in Japan, too.  It took them five years after the Japanese launch to make an English language version of it, and once they finally did, the English version was "free to play" with an item mall that was actively trying to make the game pay to win.  Which is odd, as the basic game mechanics are remarkably resilient to pay to win, to the extent that making the best gear in the game come from random boxes scarcely merits more than a shrug.
    Doesn't hurt to be optimistic! Square Enix is different from Koei after all. 
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Just sent my ticket, and I hope countless others do as well. We need to spread the word about this. This might be our only real chance of getting this game in the West.
    Kumapon said:
    Just sent my ticket, and I hope countless others do as well. We need to spread the word about this. This might be our only real chance of getting this game in the West.
    Thank you so much!  :pleased:

If you can, tell your friends! We need everyone's support if we want for this to happen. 
    Just discovered that there is a free trial of the game. You have to set your PC up in a certain way though. 

While it is a pain in the ass to get set up, you can at least find out if DQX is right for you by playing the game itself. 
    Imutone said:
    Quizzical said:
    Doesn't hurt to be optimistic! Square Enix is different from Koei after all. 
    But Uncharted Waters Online was worth the wait.

If I seem too negative for your tastes, consider that I'm bumping your thread with my replies.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Kumapon said:

Perhaps not a traditional MMO, but they do have a number of P2W mobile games (e.g. FF Mobius and FF Record Keeper)... so it's not like they are totally against the idea.

Looking at the gameplay, it is certainly unique, but I suspect the heavy instancing (even down to the combat encounters), and menu based battles will put a lot of traditional MMO players off. Still, if it works as a single player JRPG then maybe the Dragon Quest name is big enough to appeal to an audiance beyond those who really want another FFXI.

Quizzical said:
    But Uncharted Waters Online was worth the wait.

If I seem too negative for your tastes, consider that I'm bumping your thread with my replies.
    No, you aren't negative in the slightest! You bring up valid points and are actually being civil about this. I really appreciate that!

The folks at Reddit are worse. Saying, "you'll never get it" and "why are you even trying it's a waste of time."

It's refreshing to see folks being nice for once.