Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For Honor- What do you guys think?

2»

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited January 2017
    YashaX said:
    YashaX said:
    I played the beta extensively over the weekend. The combat is really fun and unique. The game feels slick and well polished. You have 4vs4, 2vs2, and 1vs1 gamemodes, which can be played vs AI or pvp; and there is also a knockout type game mode with no respawning once you are dead.

The gear upgrade system and overarching faction war adds depth to the game, as well as neat things like environmental damage (fire/falling), massive damage if you jump off a ledge and attack another player from above, being able to use walls/environment to limit enemy attacks, revenge, and special skill load outs.

The music/sound is absolutely brilliant, and the visuals/atmosphere is right up my ally.

It doesn't have the spam/ mindless aoe/ particle-effect overload of a game like GW2 (spvp), although the controls are hard to get used to (for me anyway), at least on a pc without a gamepad. I found moving smoothly into/out of the combat "lock on" mode particularly tricky. 

However, it has a MASSIVE problem: constant drop outs/disconnects. I got one good day in where I only got disconnected every three out of four games, on Sunday I got disconnected every game and could only play 1vs1 duels. So that was like three hours of getting disconnects, pretty frustrating. I never had an issue like that in any other moba type game, even in the beta's of other such games, so I don't know what is going on there.

I am going to wait and see if that issue gets addressed before buying - it would be a waste of money to buy it if I could only play 1vs1.

Yeah the servers are p2p, meaning players host their own servers.  If that player happens to have shitty internet, everyone on that "server" is fucked.

Here's an article about it:

http://segmentnext.com/2016/12/20/for-honor-servers/

This unfortunately seems like a deal breaker if they don't go with some official servers just to save some bucks.  They may change their minds- it seems like almost all the negative feedback about the game from this closed beta is about the servers.
    I am just wondering if maybe there is some advantage to p2p servers (besides it just being cheaper). For example does it in theory lower the ping for players in countries that would otherwise be far from official servers (since you are matched up with players in your region)?

I'm almost crying (really, there are tears in my eyes) though, because otherwise the game was a blast.

I'm no expert but I imagine any potential ping benefits would be far outweighed by the stability of having dedicated servers.

I do hope though that they see the positive reaction to the game and reconsider.  Unfortunately Ubisoft handles a lot of games and just may not see the value in investing, especially since I think they made a lot of money with the Division with the same p2p server set up.

It would be a huge bummer to me too.  I've been looking for a new action/tactical/melee type pvp game ever since I played Chilvary.  Torn Banner's new game their working on seems to be trying to go an Overwatch route with the graphics and gameplay, so something like For Honor may be the only chance at something decent for awhile.
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    I've been playing the closed beta with 5 other friends non stop since yesterday. This game could be very interesting but without a coop campaign it will be as short lived(if not more) as Rainbow Six Siege. By short lived i mean the obvious, playing the same game mode over and over will cause massive drop in playerbase.

Aside from that, i am totally in love with Nobuchi(the glaive samurai) and Berserker(the dual hatchet viking). Combat is very satisfying, but without the parkour from Assassins creed, it feels very cheap when you fall from a 1 meter height and die on shallow water.

IMO, it is not worth $60 dollars. I will buy this game when price drop to at least $30 unless they add a coop/sp campaign and more multiplayer modes.
    The game will launch with a solo/duo story mode campaign (or maybe 3 campaigns for three factions). I'm not sure about the the number and length of campaigns at launch though. The closed beta was limited to PvP with some of the future maps. I guess the seasons pass will grant access to further story content. At least I hope that later PvP modes and maps won't be locked behind specific paid DLC's.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    The dominion gameplay reminds me more of Dynasty Warriors than any moba. In fact the only thing it really shares if wth moba´s is the PvP only setting. 

This have been a good conversation

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    The way this guy reacts in the video reminds me so much of how I felt when playing the beta:

Good times.