Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hurts so Good - Dark and Light Previews

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageHurts so Good - Dark and Light Previews

MMOs have spent the last decade heading down the ever-more-accessible theme park road, hoping perhaps, to “solve” the intimidatingly competitive aspects of old school games in the genre. Undoubtedly, that's been the developer's path to a healthy bottom line. Still, many a venerable RPG-er (and plenty of MMO newbies) hanker for a more dangerous role-play experience, and Snail Games' upcoming survival MMO Dark and Light plans to give it to them.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    System said:

Still, many a venerable RPG-er (and plenty of MMO newbies) hanker for a more dangerous role-play experience, and Snail Games' upcoming survival MMO Dark and Light plans to give it to them.
    Why can't they just make a more dangerous rpg instead of just adding tedious survival mechanics.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

DMKano said:

Nyctelios said:

DMKano said:

And there it is as 5:52 in the video.... punching bushes.

Nope. nope. nope.

Why dont they make something like "collecting dead wood" or branches from the floor like Salem (until you have skill and resources to craft a tool to gather it, like an axe)?

It's way simpler and more realistic than punching stuffs. 

For something that brags about "survival" it kinda ruins itself, you know.

Good thing is, if I ever get lost on Amazônia, I'll just punch stuff.

Id love to see Survivor, or Naked and Afraid or any of those shows where they put people in the middle of nowhere....

Day 1:

I see some green brush over there ... lets PUNCH IT!!!!

As was mentioned in another thread, the Ark team is probably the ones really developing the game, so whatever is in there will make it into this one, except one is first person and the other is third person.
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    I've been excited for this title but after seeing a few videos and hearing the sounds, anyone else somewhat cheesed and worried that a lot of the sounds are identical to Ark sounds? To me, that shows laziness in the devs and that doesn't bold well with me personally.
  • KroyMortlachKroyMortlach Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited January 2017
    The developers of Dark and Light own ARK (source https://www.reddit.com/r/dnl/comments/5r0ett/snailgames_usa_owns_studio_wildcard_source_in/) , so it's hardly surprising that there are similarities. Ultimately, the problem is that DnL is forgoing its MMO heritage. What it has become is almost not worth arguing about. The trade off of DnL's heritage is a loss.
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710

The developers of Dark and Light own ARK (source https://www.reddit.com/r/dnl/comments/5r0ett/snailgames_usa_owns_studio_wildcard_source_in/) , so it's hardly surprising that there are similarities. Ultimately, the problem is that DnL is forgoing its MMO heritage. What it has become is almost not worth arguing about. The trade off of DnL's heritage is a loss.

Ohhhhhhhh, that, I didn't know. Makes sense now that sounds are very similar.
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Not a MMORPG so i dont really care. nice as news i guess...

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Oh didn't saw that one coming. O.o

It makes sense seeing the reality the game is transpiring but the amount of games the devs of Ark have going at the same time, all on early access is O.o

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited January 2017
    I keep seeing the term MMO being thrown around.

Is this a MMORPG or a massive multiplayer online "to be determined later, we're not sure yet".
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    I keep seeing the term MMO being thrown around.
    ARK labels itself one MMO.

Being this now shown to be owned by the Ark devs, with the same design, no wonder they may label it MMO as they did with Ark.
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    What good would "guild functionality" serve or a guild membership cap on servers that hold 100 players? I envision possibly two guilds per server(50 members each?) fighting over space and resources.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited January 2017

DMKano said:

Nope. nope. nope.

Can't get more intense Player vs. Environment gameplay than punching a bush.
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • LoudWisperLoudWisper Member UncommonPosts: 76
    not an mmo
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited January 2017

DMKano said:

Nope. nope. nope.

Anyone here play SWG? Punching rocks and bushes was a thing.

Post edited by Tiller on
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I'm worried about punching trees in Conan too later today (loading now). To me, the best survival game is one that's single player - Crashlands. Avoids the tedium and makes fun with narrative.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    MaxBacon said:
    Oh didn't saw that one coming. O.o

It makes sense seeing the reality the game is transpiring but the amount of games the devs of Ark have going at the same time, all on early access is O.o

Well this explains why Ark isn't being finished and released, devs are busy supporting DnLs development.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    edited January 2017
    survival mmo????

does this site even knows what a mmo is?
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'm glad to hear that EA will be "later this year" as it looked to need a lot of work/polish. Definitely on my short list of titles I'm looking forward to. My hope is that there is enough to do content and exploration wise. It definitely sounds like progression into various fields will take a lot of time but this should match up with exciting ways to get there.
    Was the 100sq kilometer world map verified?
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    "They also said that a firm early access date is still hovering in a fog of development uncertainty, but that it should happen some time later this year."

So much for that Q1 2017 release date.
    Forgrimm said:
    "They also said that a firm early access date is still hovering in a fog of development uncertainty, but that it should happen some time later this year."

So much for that Q1 2017 release date.
    Even with a "ready to ship" product they would be stupid to release the same time period as a direct competitor (Conan: Exiles).
  • MountainslideMountainslide Member UncommonPosts: 6
    My only concern for this title is, is it worthwhile (even a little bit) to how DnL was when it was first released several years ago and died horribly.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Snail has even said it's not an MMO. It's not an MMO.
  • MoondiggityMoondiggity Member CommonPosts: 1
    Big guilds, tameable creatures that require many players to take down. Sounds like ARK alpha tribe cancer all over again. Gonna have to pass on that mess
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    DMKano said:

Nope. nope. nope.
    Maybe I'm being optimistic but it's possible it's a placeholder animatiom

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Snail has even said it's not an MMO. It's not an MMO.
    Huh?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design