Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Look Preview of Funcom's Survival Game - Conan Exiles Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageFirst Look Preview of Funcom's Survival Game - Conan Exiles Videos - MMORPG.com

Conan Exiles is set to hit Steam Early Access on Tuesday, January 31st but we had the chance to dive into the game today to give our viewers a first-look at the game based on the literary works of Robert E. Howard. We'll have more to show off over the coming weeks as the game matures into Early Access.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I thought @DMkano was joking about the punch gathering. Now I'm in tears at my job watching this video. LOL

He has on a loin cloth. Where is he putting all the items? Don't answer that. Perhaps they could have people craft a bag, and have to store stuff in the bag. Add some features like being more encumbered the heavier the bag is and let it be apart of the gameplay.

Either way funny stuff. Thanks.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ImutoneImutone Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Man, what is going on with that hair? Someone give this poor lad a proper haircut. 
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited January 2017

I thought @DMkano was joking about the punch gathering. Now I'm in tears at my job watching this video. LOL

He has on a loin cloth. Where is he putting all the items? Don't answer that. Perhaps they could have people craft a bag, and have to store stuff in the bag. Add some features like being more encumbered the heavier the bag is and let it be apart of the gameplay.

Nothing says barbaric and "Oh that's a barbarian. Ruuun!" than a dozen of Barbarians running down a hill with a massive axe and a nice my little pony backbag on their back. Nah dude. It isn't like that and not say Ark is gospel but that doesn't fit in their setting either.

At certain points, especially in video games, you need to just not think about it so much. I can name a hundred video games where the protagonist is collecting tons but oh, oh, it magically just appears in the "inventory" think of MMORPGS in general. Plenty of them have you carrying elephant mounts in your imaginary bags and multiple weapons & armor.

I mean I get your point. It doesn't make sense from a realistic point of view but you cannot go imagining Arnold Schwarzenegger saying the iconic line after the question "What is best in life?" with a cute little backbag strung over his shoulder from his days collecting branches.

It just doesn't go with the theme and it's not like this game is preaching its realism with thirty feet gods, monsters and other non-earthly things.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

I saw a completely naked female character pick up about 2 dozen large sized rocks, as well as a few big ostrich eggs. Have to wonder where she stuffed all of them...
  • JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Looking forward to this !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I want to play! How was performance?
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Very excited! :D the first actual adult survival game :D All other survival games feel like they are made for kids (except maybe RUST is a bit more mature feeling). But like Ark is 100% made for kids lol.

Conan Exiles has blood, violence, slavery...all kinds of mature features. Very excited for release

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Nothing says barbaric and "Oh that's a barbarian. Ruuun!" than a dozen of Barbarians running down a hill with a massive axe and a nice my little pony backbag on their back. Nah dude. It isn't like that and not say Ark is gospel but that doesn't fit in their setting either.

At certain points, especially in video games, you need to just not think about it so much. I can name a hundred video games where the protagonist is collecting tons but oh, oh, it magically just appears in the "inventory" think of MMORPGS in general. Plenty of them have you carrying elephant mounts in your imaginary bags and multiple weapons & armor.

I mean I get your point. It doesn't make sense from a realistic point of view but you cannot go imagining Arnold Schwarzenegger saying the iconic line after the question "What is best in life?" with a cute little backbag strung over his shoulder from his days collecting branches.

It just doesn't go with the theme and it's not like this game is preaching its realism with thirty feet gods, monsters and other non-earthly things.
    It's a survival game though.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I mean, yeah, it's still got the ridiculous early game of all survival games - something that could be turned down just by making early recipes require less. But overall, it feels much further along then ARK did at the same stage. I just hope all the features they want to add come fast. No one likes being repeatedly naked picking leaves and making shitty weapons until they're established.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited January 2017

It's a survival game though.

Nice deduction there, Sherlock Holmes. You have completely nullified my point -- or did you? Let's imagine that my comparison was aimed at other video games and even, if you so prefer, survival games instead, namely even, the one I mentioned before Ark Survival Evolved. Ah also let us also, for the sake of your argument, imagine that you do in fact craft a bag would that, however, realistically explain why you are able to carry hundreds of branches, fiber, multiple weapons (polearms, swords, shields on one quickbar) and I'm guessing you'll be carrying building foundations and alike. I've seen on stream characters with not 1 or 2 but 5 weapons and I am guessing it can go even farther than that.

I mean come on. You must've known that little pointer wasn't going to help with anything and it's not like I was trying to dismantle your point beyond the fact that from my understanding 'logic' need not apply in the majority of games unless they specify their focus at realism.
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Steam says it unlocks today but says it still has about 6 hours to unlock so I would assume it really is available tomorrow?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Maybe 9pm PST?

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Beyorn said:
    Steam says it unlocks today but says it still has about 6 hours to unlock so I would assume it really is available tomorrow?
    It says "Available January 31st" for me, which is tomorrow. But underneath it says unlocks in approximately 4 hours, so it might be a midnight release.
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    releases 12am EST
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    I just double checked and it says today for me (1/30/17). Very strange. I guess I will wait for tomorrow ;D.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    does it have controller support?
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

Can never forget the moment Guybrush Threepwood picked up a dog and put it into his inventory. :)
    (Monkey Island 2)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Oh God, please, no, not more early access to ruin another game!
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited January 2017
    Oh God, please, no, not more early access to ruin another game!
    Too late. The industry finally figured out that you can sell baggies of dog shit to people as long as you slap the words 'PvP', 'Sandbox', or 'Open World' on them. Apparently 'Survival' works as well. Who knew.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    $29.99 is a lot more if you live outside of the US.

It is amazing how there is never an and to Funcom´s scumbaggery...
  • nuclearsoulnuclearsoul Member UncommonPosts: 10
    i am installing the game now :D
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

Nyctelios said:

They call it a survival game where every mechanic about resource management is thrown to Oblivion.

Also, never heard sumerians had this power of drinking water by touching their ankle on the river.

honestly i cant understand these kind of critiques about realistic resource gathering.... yeah sure its not realistic but its convenient...and thats gonna win BIG after about one hour in the game...so they made the right decision
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Looks like a 19,99 title to me -IF it was finished.

I watched the video and didn't see a single aspect of the game that didn't look like work in progress.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2017
    Volgore said:
    Looks like a 19,99 title to me -IF it was finished.

I watched the video and didn't see a single aspect of the game that didn't look like work in progress.
    Survival games never leave EA.

Would be nice if Steam had more strict rules for EA, like set time frames and such.