Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most balanced mmorpg PVP

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
edited January 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I love ESO but I hate the pvp now. There were some good things about it during certain iterations. For me those good things were that skill (and knowledge) mattered and gear was not that important. A highly skilled player can and could beat a player with better gear. Also, the fights lasted for a while so you could try some things and CC was not out of control during those "good" periods. I don't mind losing so much if I feel like I had chances to try some things and just lost because the other guy played better.

Of course, there is the zerg problem, but to some extent it can be avoided.

The bad things for me were the period of DK-Vamp-Bat-Swarm. Hated that time. It went away and things were alright for a good while (except for the lag, etc.).  

But now, I've been away for a while, I come back and find that you can be just about insta-gibbed by some nightblade with this specific set of proc gear that's running rampant now. Seriously, before this era, I was never killed in 2-3 seconds.  I've also seen the literally unkillable tank. It's stupid and it breaks pvp. I know I could just go get the required gear, for one of the two basic options, but I don't want to. I don't think pvp should have come to this in ESO. 

I hope change is on the horizon. 

So anyway, is there a relatively balanced pvp game out there in the mmorpg world? 

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    d_20 said:

So anyway, is there a relatively balanced pvp game out there in the mmorpg world? 

what exactly do you mean by balanced? 1vs1? 5vs5? 50vs50? perfect rock/paper/scissors? skill over gear?

the only perfectly balanced scenario are mobas where it's a simetric unchanging map, always even numbers, and everyone starts at 0 and goes from there. ANYTHING else is incredibly hard to "balance" especially when you consider an always escalating levels/skills/gear/enchants/potions/etc etc.
    mmorpgs were never much for balance. its all about putting time in for the best available gear so you can stomp everyone else that doesn't have it yet.

as far as coming back to an mmorpg and being two shot by the latest bling gear.....it's pretty standard.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited January 2017
    d_20 said:

what exactly do you mean by balanced? 1vs1? 5vs5? 50vs50? perfect rock/paper/scissors? skill over gear?

the only perfectly balanced scenario are mobas where it's a simetric unchanging map, always even numbers, and everyone starts at 0 and goes from there. ANYTHING else is incredibly hard to "balance" especially when you consider an always escalating levels/skills/gear/enchants/potions/etc etc.
    mmorpgs were never much for balance. its all about putting time in for the best available gear so you can stomp everyone else that doesn't have it yet.

as far as coming back to an mmorpg and being two shot by the latest bling gear.....it's pretty standard.

I see what you're saying. For me, balanced in this case would mean more viable builds/gear sets than there are now. More choice in how to play.

It just that the newest bling gear is really limited to one or two sets out of a lot, so the problem that I think is different is the limiting of choice. Before you could have quite a few viable builds and sets modified by player knowledge/skill, because some were harder to play than others. But now, it's just a couple of really dominant sets/class/play-styles. 

It would be cool if there were a few more viable builds, sets, etc.

Sypher: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hsc-RKCp2A&t=486s

Fengrush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEkbnOSEwrI&t=2033s

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Blade & Soul has the best MMORPG PVP if you're looking for skill based PVP. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Maybe you should try Guildwars 2? While the first games PvP was better it is still way better balanced then ESO.

At least I can kill anyone no matter what class they have unless they play better then me. Some are a bit easier but which changes depending on the class I play. Of course if they are low in level they better be damn good in WvW to take me down but they can.

WvW can be rather zergy though, go for structured PvP if you want a fair fight without zerging. WvW can still be fun as long as you avoid both friendly and enemy zergs, but running in one takes no skill and is generally boring.
    I've always enjoyed GW2 pvp (not wvw so much).

Also, I've heard a lot of good things about B&S. 

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Lately I have been thinking that ESO's pvp is possibly the most unbalanced pvp I have played in any game, especially considering the massive grind to get gear and levels (or CP) and that you can't really get good gear from just pvping like in GW2 or in the now dead WAR.

Anyway, GW2's spvp is probably the most balanced pvp I have played in an mmo (because the gear/levels are equalised and you can easily play any class), the RvR is not very balanced, but its relatively easy to get gear and you can level up and get gear through spvp if you don't like grinding pve.

Also, although not an MMO, I played the For Honor beta, and the classes are extremely balanced compared to any mmo I have played so it might be something to think about (note that I got constant disconnects due to the peer-peer networking it uses, but maybe its ok if you live in the US or Japan).

Its weird that no mmo (except GW2) has introduced a relatively balanced pvp system, its all I have ever wanted to play ever since WAR. Although ESO did have a period where the under-50 campaign was very balanced (just before CP where introduced): that period was the most fun I ever had playing the game.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    If you want balanced pvp, mmorpg's are the wrong place to look. Have to go with MoBA's, FPS's, and arena games like Overwatch if you want balanced pvp.
    edited January 2017
    Forgrimm said:
    If you want balanced pvp, mmorpg's are the wrong place to look. Have to go with MoBA's, FPS's, and arena games like Overwatch if you want balanced pvp.
    Okay, then. I will settle for not totally broken pvp? 

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    1 v 1 balance or team focused balance?

None have decent 1 v 1 balance. Quite a few if not most are team balanced quite well. 

It's hard to gauge though, the progression and 'build' systems MMO's have make it hard to determine from player view what is balanced. Would need data... Combat logs, battleground statistics, everything that outputs a record-able number. 

Opinions and hard data are nothing alike.

If you suck at a game, you suck at a game. Own up. This is the most common complaint on pvp balance. 

I suck at most MMO pvp, and in some cases really badly. Doesn't mean I cry about it. It's a game. 
  • milfatizemilfatize Member CommonPosts: 3
    Hey I hate to comment here but I cant find where to post a new thread. Can someone let me know where to find the post new thread icon? Thankyou and I'm sorry! Need to know where I can find the lower level dungeons in Tera, all I can find are my level dungeons... thanks again sorry.
    hmm lol i guess u guys have a point haha. yes this is my first post on this game forum. So where would i be heading on this tera forum to find out where lower level dungeons? Sorry I am new to Tera world haha. So i go to instance matching and there is only one dungeon there, where are all the other dungeons??? Once again I am sorry for posting on this forum page, where is the right forum page : )
    THANKS
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    d_20 said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Okay, then. I will settle for not totally broken pvp? 
    Maybe we'll just have to wait for Crowfall and CU? 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

The person with better gear should win.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited January 2017
    d_20 said:
    d_20 said:

I see what you're saying. For me, balanced in this case would mean more viable builds/gear sets than there are now. More choice in how to play.

It just that the newest bling gear is really limited to one or two sets out of a lot, so the problem that I think is different is the limiting of choice. Before you could have quite a few viable builds and sets modified by player knowledge/skill, because some were harder to play than others. But now, it's just a couple of really dominant sets/class/play-styles. 

Sypher: 

Fengrush:

Really bad examples.  Sypher is probably hacking but they never could prove it.  Why because he's always had some sick type of playing and has always been able to kill 10 people without flinching.  They called it animation canceling but he was always able to hit you like 4 times instantly.  As for Fengrush I haven't encountered him but I definitely heard of him for the past 1.5 years.

These are extreme examples and have always been around this game since it launched.  I remember blinky shield sorcs taking the lead and DK's sitting in the middle of 10 dps and not only did they survive but they killed everyone.  Not to mention the vampires overpowered as hell.  The game has always had a serious overpowered class/build problem.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Recore said:

right - then try PvP in GW2. All armor is the same except for runes. There is PvP amulet and that is all (besides PvP weapons).

The person that is more skilled should - period.

gear based PvP is not balanced. 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    botrytis said:
    Recore said:

right - then try PvP in GW2. All armor is the same except for runes. There is PvP amulet and that is all (besides PvP weapons).

The person that is more skilled should - period.

gear based PvP is not balanced. 

No thanks,

There is not such thing as balance in PVP unless the players are all using the same characters with the same gear and same skills.

Everything has to be the same to have balance and I would never play a game where everything is the same.

Take a game like Street Fighter. If both use Ryu then that is balance. If one uses Ken and the other uses Ryu balance is gone.

edited January 2017
    filmoret said:
    d_20 said:
    d_20 said:

Sypher: 

Fengrush:

Really bad examples.  Sypher is probably hacking but they never could prove it.  Why because he's always had some sick type of playing and has always been able to kill 10 people without flinching.  They called it animation canceling but he was always able to hit you like 4 times instantly.  As for Fengrush I haven't encountered him but I definitely heard of him for the past 1.5 years.

These are extreme examples and have always been around this game since it launched.  I remember blinky shield sorcs taking the lead and DK's sitting in the middle of 10 dps and not only did they survive but they killed everyone.  Not to mention the vampires overpowered as hell.  The game has always had a serious overpowered class/build problem.
    It's not just them. Just about all of the leading streamers of ESO who have been with the game from the start are saying the same thing. They should know. 

Alcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeBIzLvrY5c

That's all besides my own personal experience and what I hear my guildies say. But you don't have to take our word for it because the "pros" are saying the same things. We've all been here since beta. We've seen the bad vampire-dk-bat spam (as I already said) and this current period is worse than that, probably.

It just seems like ZOS doesn't really care about pve. It's sad because ESO has shown some great potential to be a good pvp game. I like ESO for other things, at least. 

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    gw2 spvp is most fun because its just 15 minutes game. unlike moba 30-60 minutes pergame
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The emperor vampire was a thing to behold and was the downfall of having fun with a vampire in pve.  What they should have done was buff werewolf to take them out. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey