Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this site so negative?

124»

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    When it comes to mmog's.......I  know exactly  what features  I like and don't like . I'm tired of feeling like I'm odd just because I love great crafting...housing and ideally ...ideally...some realm vs realm conflict.This combination of features  just seems to elude game development decision makers psyche. Camelot Unchained is THE only game that offers to fill all these desires...but progress isn't as fast as I had hoped.
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    TENTING said:
    Gdemami said:
    Slapshot1188 said:
    If you think I want to stop his ability to post thoughts (even those counter to my own) you are very mistaken.
    You don't? Well, you are saying - suck it up and take charge of what you hear.

The problem isn't the discussion about what one finds offensive - supposed Sovrath's post but reactions to such thoughts. You put such discussion out of table and implied we should ignore all we dislike, no discussion allowed.

Overly securing personal rights leads to their restriction...political correctness we see today.
    You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. (at least everything except the last sentence)

I never said he couldn't post 100 or 1000 more times saying he disliked the way others expressed themselves.  Not once did I say he, you or the OP should stop posting on this topic.

I also never said you SHOULD ignore what you dislike.  I said you COULD and that this was PREFERABLE to stifling any thoughts, speech or tactics that you find discomforting.  I could care less what YOU choose to hear.  I don't want to force you to hear anything, but I will continue to point out that we should not EVER stop people from being free to express those thoughts.. PARTICULARLY when all you need to do to ignore them is hit a simple button.  This purity of thought is the dangerous slope we are traveling down.  I don't have to agree with a single thing you have said.  I can think you are 100 percent wrong.. every single word... but I think it's important that you CAN say it. 

I am not for or against your opinion on the matter. As is common for me, I prefer a middle ground.

I do have to wonder though, since I see these very same arguments in trade channel in WoW ever so often, a place where each side of the spectrum is often colliding. Maybe less so these days, but once it was often.

When people request that people tone down things a little and just converse in a way that a lot of people perceive as well mannered, these people asking for a moderate tone, are told to just hit the ignore button.

Over the years this is what people have done and will keep doing, so now trade is at a point where its basically only people of the more vulgar speaking kinds, yelling profanity at each other all day long.

Is this the path you would prefer the world to take?

A place where well mannered people keep quiet and only the loud snap talk, rap battle crowd is meant to converse?  And everyone who does not like that is told to take a hike? 

I do understand that the ignore function is smart and easy, but as a wider phenomena, maybe its not the well behaved people that you should fear so much? They are after all typically pretty well mannered?

But anyway, I am not for or against, I am curious about how people at each their end of the spectrum will somehow develop a way to meet in the middle one day.

And imo this forum is really well mannered, even when people disagree its like watching well educated gentlemen bash each other wearing gloves.
     Very enjoyable.  
    I have no idea what happens in the WoW trade channel.

I also think you are taking it to an extreme by comparing people criticizing a game with "yelling profanity at each other all day long".  That would be against the general rules of the site.  If a place has RULES... you follow the rules.  If you do like like the rules, you should skip that place.

In a theater for instance you don't stand up and recite the Gettysburg address while the movie or play is going on (unless you are acting in said play).  On a  forum however, who's entire purpose is to have discussions of various perspectives... people should be free to do that. There are of course rules here as well. I would not go into the WoW forum and start a thread about Star Citizen fundraising.  I can honestly say, as someone that visits the site multiple times most days... that threads like that are very, VERY rare.

What is much more common is folks taking a criticism of their chosen game (valid or invalid) as a personal attack on themselves and then, feeling threatened start clamoring to stifle that person from posting.   The better tactic is to either acknowledge a fair criticism or explain why it is unfair.   If you cannot do so in a way that convinces the other readers... try harder next time... learn how to frame and argue a debate.

Alternately, if you do not like what you hear you can in fact easily self-censor that input via the ignore button. I would rather the person post why they disagree so that the debate can be engaged and more content created for the community.

* Note that other than the second sentence.. when I use YOU it is a generic word and not ascribed to you personally.

Fair enough, makes sense. I dont think you have to be afraid then. *hugs* =) 

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    cura said:
    And here you are compleining becouse world is not like you want it to be... Jesus
    I'm not sure what " compleining" is but I just asked the question.  And apparently a lot of people have an opinion on the subject.  Constructive criticism is fine but when you have a person for example complaining about a game they don't play or jumping on every thread about a platform they don't use to complain about it is negative hence the thread.  If it bothers you don't read it. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    cura said:
    And here you are compleining becouse world is not like you want it to be... Jesus
    I'm not sure what " compleining" is but I just asked the question.  And apparently a lot of people have an opinion on the subject.  Constructive criticism is fine but when you have a person for example complaining about a game they don't play or jumping on every thread about a platform they don't use to complain about it is negative hence the thread.  If it bothers you don't read it. 
    THIS is the definition of irony...  lol

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

cura said:

It's not irony it doesn't bother me.  I have no problem calling out those complaining about games they don't play or platforms they don't use.  I created this thread to try and understand why grown adult complain about video games so much on this site.  

Nice try better like next time. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    cura said:

It's not irony ... 
     O.o 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    cura said:

It's not irony it doesn't bother me.  I have no problem calling out those complaining about games they don't play or platforms they don't use.  I created this thread to try and understand why grown adult complain about video games so much on this site.  

You complaint on complaining has been noted.

bartoni33 said:
    I've been here for a decade or so and I've seen trends towards vitriolic hateposting off and on.

Obviously SWG created mucho hate for the CU/NGE. I remember AOC and WAR creating some shitposting because for some reason the fans thereof were convinced that those two games were going to "kill WoW"! Imagine that! Silly to think now but still. GW2 was a big negative content creator before launch too.

OMG let's not forget Darkfall! THAT was the craziest I remember it getting here until SC. Now SC is the "Whiteknight vs.Troll" forum champion here. STAY AWAY if you are easily hurt like OP is (also do not call someone a Whitenight, they don't like it for some reason). I've had to quit posting there so much myself because I'm getting shit from both sides now. No middle ground there folks!

TL;DR Nothing wrong with this site, it ebbs and flows.

EDIT: Oh yeah Ignore is your friend. I only have one asshat on it but they don't seem to post here anymore.

I do enjoy seeing some posters letting their freak flag wave though, it's like Outsider Art!
    Easily hurt?  Really?  So somebody asking a question that apparently you didn't agree with means they are hurt?  Obviously this thread hurt you and a few others.  No hurt over here just trying to understand the mentality of grown adults complaining about video games they don't play. 
    edited January 2017

Dullahan said:
    cura said:

You complaint on complaining has been noted.
    Your lack of grammar and lack of understanding this thread has been noted. 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Simple answer is we need to make MMORPGs great again. The problems with MMORPGs isn't complicated and any idiot could probably do it. I mean it can't get any worse than it is right now, right? ;)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    kchisarik said:
    There is also a wonderful feature the site has which lets you go an IGNORE posts from anyone you find too negative/positive or even if you just dislike their name!
    Best thing I ever did was start to use this feature for certain (ok just one) people.
    Yes. More people should use it. In today's social environment people think it's ok to try and stop others from expressing their thoughts.  It's very much this thought purity that concerns me most about where we,as a society are going. 

This site makes it simple. If you find someone else's speech disturbing simple hit that ignore button.  This way you can control what you choose to hear which is quite different from trying to control what others can say.
    I'll have to disagree with you here. It's not about them expressing their thoughts. They just have no idea "how" to express their thoughts in any way other than ...

And then others have to bend around them and "ignore them" as opposed to them actually being good members of a community. Maybe even being adults and realizing that not every place is a place where people want to hear their nonsense.

This happens in game as well. It's just a steady stream of trash.

It's ok to express dissenting views. Even an excellent thing to do. But not in the manner that some people do it.
    Again... if in YOUR OPINION you dislike the manner that people express their views then use the damn ignore button and you will not have to see them.  Take charge of what YOU hear and see and stop worrying about controlling what others say.   It's a win/win.  

The problem is that some aren't happy with that.  It's not enough to not hear what someone is saying.  They want to insure others can't say it at all... and that is a very disturbing direction to head.
    Yes, in my opinion. Thing is though that some people have no social skills, and no idea how to act "in public".

You can bet that if they were to go into a bank or some public place and "expressed their views" in the manner that they do in game/on websites that they would be removed.

Know where you are, know what is considered acceptable behavior for that venue.
    The difference of course.. is that at a bank or in some public space there is no simple button you can hit to ignore people.  It really can't be made much easier than that.  If you find something disturbing because of what people say, how they say it.. or even the spelling of their name... simply hit the button and like magic you won't be bothered by them again!
    Or people can just adopt "I'm a big boy behavior" and not have it needed.

Oh sure, there's the ignore button and I'm sure people use it on this site and in games but it's disturbing that it's needed when others are so immature they can't be allowed in public.

On a side note, I don't really think you are correct with something you said about traffic to this site going down because of moderation. And I know you've said that before. In truth, you don't know that. It could be down for a other reasons. People losing interest in mmo's or the current mmo's, people who surged here when there were certain games and now that those games are no longer "in the news/popular" they have gone elsewhere.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    cura said:

I created this thread to try and understand why grown adult complain about video games so much on this site.  

Clearly they do it to piss people like you off.

I'd say they succeeded. :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited January 2017
    Be the change you seek. This thread only adds to the negativity.
This discussion has been closed.