Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For Honor- What do you guys think?

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
edited January 2017 in General Gaming
I watched some streams on twitch this weekend and the game looks pretty sweet.  Looks a lot like Chivalry (which I loved), but without as much BS like ranged classes one-shotting you out of nowhere when you're in the middle of some epic duel.

Anyone get a chance to play during this weekend's closed beta?

I think based on what I saw I'll be buying this game.  Only possible problem is potential p2w elements but hopefully they don't let buying crates turn into some big advantage, because that would be epically retarded considering the whole appeal is skill-based action pvp.

Also apparently they are going with p2p servers and no dedicated server.  Hopefully they'll change their minds since it seems the game is pretty popular with everyone that's played it and would be worth springing for a server.

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    fotm game.

will be empty in 2 months. not a bad idea, but maps are too boring. no depth. i watched 2 matches and started falling asleep.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    edited January 2017
    It is Ubisoft so it use the same system as the Crew and the Division with P2P matchmaking. Since they have not change their minds on those game, don´t hold your breath =) 

As for the game it self. 

It is at the same time very frustrating (especially if you try to use M&KB) but also so rewarding thanks to some really outstanding animations and sound design. Landing hits is very rewarding and the moba-esq 4v4 mode feels really nice. Beta was hard due to a small pool of people making skill matchmaking non-existent.

A nice brawler with some decent customization and  at times stunning visuals that also suffers from a biit of information overload. 

Video of my gameplay/thoughs 
    Post edited by tawess on

This have been a good conversation

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    edited January 2017
    yes.. i mean visuals looks nice and all.. and some sort of feeling a battle might accure..

but the gameplay looks damn boring

i argee with above poster.. prolly dead in 2 months / game like division..
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Well, I haven't tried it yet but the gameplay looks really fun.  Any pvp that encourages counterplay and counter-counterplay is my jam.

I may be getting my hopes up, though.  They clearly had server issues.  "It's Beta", but they really fucked up the Division, so hmmm...
  • CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Haha got to love all the "I haven't tried it game sucks dead it 2 months".  These are the same people that said games like swtor, LOTRO, The Division (new update coming means it's not dead) and every other game they didn't like after watching YouTube videos of it...guess what all those games are still going which puts your reliability and knowledge of what a good game is at zero...keep watching your videos lol
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well combat is very tactical and slow paced in reality. It looks fast but the fast part only last for a few moments. It is more a game of who blinks first. 

This have been a good conversation

edited January 2017
    tawess said:
    Well combat is very tactical and slow paced in reality. It looks fast but the fast part only last for a few moments. It is more a game of who blinks first. 

Yeah I love that shit.  Chivalry had the same kind of gameplay, but it looks like this game has another layer with guardbreaks and guardbreak counters, along with parries and feints and combos.  I love stuff like that.

Plus like I said it was pretty annoying to be zoned in on a fight in chivalry and then get shot in the head from some archer across the map.  No ranged classes in For Honor seems like a big plus.

I also really like the revenge mechanic idea to give players a boost when outnumbered.

Biggest concerns I have is potential p2w with the boxes you can buy and the servers.  Beyond that I don't care if it ends up being a smaller game- Chivarly had like 100 people playing on the official servers when I played and I had fun with that game for months.

I do think For Honor will need an official server, though, and if they don't spring for one it may be an indication they don't really care.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    edited January 2017
    Haha got to love all the "I haven't tried it game sucks dead it 2 months".  These are the same people that said games like swtor, LOTRO, The Division (new update coming means it's not dead) and every other game they didn't like after watching YouTube videos of it...guess what all those games are still going which puts your reliability and knowledge of what a good game is at zero...keep watching your videos lol
    [mod edit]

On topic: I will most likely end up getting this title because the idea of Knights vs Samurai vs Vikings is far too tempting. Games looks fun as hell too and it's very easy on the eyes.
    Post edited by Vaross on

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    There will certainly be loot boxes but gear stats only works in certain game modes. In other modes, it's just for visuals.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    I'm calling it right now. Its going to be Flavor of the Month. The combat is fun and visuals are nice, its got a gritty combat and its fun in groups. But holy fuck its repetitive. Its the same thing OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again with absolutely no variation.

To be honest this is typical UBISOFT. Almost all of their games look promising with insanely cool ideas, incredible graphics and then they turn out to be poorly fleshed out.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I'm calling it right now. Its going to be Flavor of the Month. The combat is fun and visuals are nice, its got a gritty combat and its fun in groups. But holy fuck its repetitive. Its the same thing OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again with absolutely no variation.

To be honest this is typical UBISOFT. Almost all of their games look promising with insanely cool ideas, incredible graphics and then they turn out to be poorly fleshed out.
    The game certainly has potential, that is if they expand it.

More characters is not enough imo. They need new modes and/or different scenarios to fight/defend in.

With gear/weapon customisation and visuals to make them look however you like, the game has stuff to do already. Atm I'm happy with seeing other people playing it.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    meh , it's a moba, a pretty cool moba, but that's all, it's not worth $60.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    It isn't a moba though.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I played the beta extensively over the weekend. The combat is really fun and unique. The game feels slick and well polished. You have 4vs4, 2vs2, and 1vs1 gamemodes, which can be played vs AI or pvp; and there is also a knockout type game mode with no respawning once you are dead.

The gear upgrade system and overarching faction war adds depth to the game, as well as neat things like environmental damage (fire/falling), massive damage if you jump off a ledge and attack another player from above, being able to use walls/environment to limit enemy attacks, revenge, and special skill load outs.

The music/sound is absolutely brilliant, and the visuals/atmosphere is right up my ally.

It doesn't have the spam/ mindless aoe/ particle-effect overload of a game like GW2 (spvp), although the controls are hard to get used to (for me anyway), at least on a pc without a gamepad. I found moving smoothly into/out of the combat "lock on" mode particularly tricky. 

However, it has a MASSIVE problem: constant drop outs/disconnects. I got one good day in where I only got disconnected every three out of four games, on Sunday I got disconnected every game and could only play 1vs1 duels. So that was like three hours of getting disconnects, pretty frustrating. I never had an issue like that in any other moba type game, even in the beta's of other such games, so I don't know what is going on there.

I am going to wait and see if that issue gets addressed before buying - it would be a waste of money to buy it if I could only play 1vs1.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Forgrimm said:
    It isn't a moba though.

Have you even seen the game? Multiplayer online battle arena - For Honor screams moba, or is it the $60 price tag that makes it not a moba? :-)
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Forgrimm said:
    It isn't a moba though.

Have you even seen the game? Multiplayer online battle arena - For Honor screams moba, or is it the $60 price tag that makes it not a moba? :-)
    LoL is a moba, DoTA is a moba. SMITE is a moba. For Honor looks and plays nothing like those. It's a hack & slash style action game with multiplayer. Can see it clearly here:

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2017
    I've been playing the closed beta with 5 other friends non stop since yesterday. This game could be very interesting but without a coop campaign it will be as short lived(if not more) as Rainbow Six Siege. By short lived i mean the obvious, playing the same game mode over and over will cause massive drop in playerbase.

Aside from that, i am totally in love with Nobuchi(the glaive samurai) and Berserker(the dual hatchet viking). Combat is very satisfying, but without the parkour from Assassins creed, it feels very cheap when you fall from a 1 meter height and die on shallow water.

IMO, it is not worth $60 dollars. I will buy this game when price drop to at least $30 unless they add a coop/sp campaign and more multiplayer modes.

Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    It isn't a moba though.

LoL is a moba, DoTA is a moba. SMITE is a moba. For Honor looks and plays nothing like those. It's a hack & slash style action game with multiplayer. Can see it clearly here:

Having actually played it in two betas I would say its a battle arena type game with different combat than you see in other moba/battle arena. Its more focused on actual combat between players than on minions like you see in many traditional moba: so its more like GW2's spvp than SMITE in that sense.

One thing I found a bit lacking though was that there is not quite the scope for team play, in terms of support/cc/debuffs/buffs/heals etc that you get in most other multiplayer pvp type games. Heaps of fun though if you can get a stable connection.
    YashaX said:
    I played the beta extensively over the weekend. The combat is really fun and unique. The game feels slick and well polished. You have 4vs4, 2vs2, and 1vs1 gamemodes, which can be played vs AI or pvp; and there is also a knockout type game mode with no respawning once you are dead.

The gear upgrade system and overarching faction war adds depth to the game, as well as neat things like environmental damage (fire/falling), massive damage if you jump off a ledge and attack another player from above, being able to use walls/environment to limit enemy attacks, revenge, and special skill load outs.

The music/sound is absolutely brilliant, and the visuals/atmosphere is right up my ally.

It doesn't have the spam/ mindless aoe/ particle-effect overload of a game like GW2 (spvp), although the controls are hard to get used to (for me anyway), at least on a pc without a gamepad. I found moving smoothly into/out of the combat "lock on" mode particularly tricky. 

However, it has a MASSIVE problem: constant drop outs/disconnects. I got one good day in where I only got disconnected every three out of four games, on Sunday I got disconnected every game and could only play 1vs1 duels. So that was like three hours of getting disconnects, pretty frustrating. I never had an issue like that in any other moba type game, even in the beta's of other such games, so I don't know what is going on there.

I am going to wait and see if that issue gets addressed before buying - it would be a waste of money to buy it if I could only play 1vs1.

Yeah the servers are p2p, meaning players host their own servers.  If that player happens to have shitty internet, everyone on that "server" is fucked.

Here's an article about it:

http://segmentnext.com/2016/12/20/for-honor-servers/

This unfortunately seems like a deal breaker if they don't go with some official servers just to save some bucks.  They may change their minds- it seems like almost all the negative feedback about the game from this closed beta is about the servers.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

Forgrimm said:
    It isn't a moba though.

MOBA is a specific kind of game. By your expanded definition all games with multiplayer and combat can be considered as a MOBA. 

I understand if you think a game not worth your time and money. But to think a game is cool but because of its genre should not have a box-price? What is that..? Genrism? :)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited January 2017
    To answer OP's question:

I played on the PS4 and had a good time. Combat is really good and combat alone justifies the purchase for me. It is a great game for small doses of gameplay. You know those tired nights when you get home and just want to chop-off some heads so the rest of your family would stay unharmed. ;) Does the same as Overwatch for me. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Played the Beta for around 10 hours, most of the games with two friends. The game has the best online melee PvP combat because it's tactical, unique and most importantly easy to learn hard to master. Every character in the game is very different and while having to learn the moveset of each character you will also need to understand and adapt to the playstyle of the character. At launch there will be 12 characters and the first season will have 6 new characters (buyable with ingame currency or with season pass).

I see many wondering about the longevity of the game. For Honor has 200 levels (for each character), the 1-19 are "normal levels" that open up new skills for the character. Past level 20 you receive a prestige rank for every 20 levels going up to Prestige Rank 10 (lv200). Each level the loot you gain from the matches improves which gives different stats allowing you to customize the character to your playstyle. The items have different rarities and using in-game resources you are able to improve this gear even further.

On top of this the game has a RvRvR tactical map where players can assign resources to different location on the tactical map to allow their faction to gain more areas. While this faction game sounds like a mini-game the potential of this can be great if certain zones give increasing rewards or something similar in the future. The RvRvR seasons last for 15~days and in the end every player who participated will be rewarded depending on how their faction performed overall.

I don't really understand why they limited the access to the beta. This game is definitely a lot more fun to play than to watch and with 60€/$ price tag it's quite a lot to just try if the combat entices you. All I can say that if you enjoy melee PvP combat this game is the bomb. It's amazing game with focus on player skill and dueling/brawling (1v1, 1v2, 2v2). Topped of with immense leveling/gear progression.

Forgrimm said:
    It isn't a moba though.

MOBA is a specific kind of game. By your expanded definition all games with multiplayer and combat can be considered as a MOBA. 

I understand if you think a game not worth your time and money. But to think a game is cool but because of its genre should not have a box-price? What is that..? Genrism? :)

Yeah the only real MOBA quality I saw was the minions in the Dominion map, but they only really apply to the middle point.  I do think Dominion looks really cool and the minions are a cool addition.  But generally I think the game qualifies as a brawler (or maybe just a single player game with really cool multiplayer- not sure if anyone really knows what the single player campaign is like).

The Dominion mode especially gives me hope they can expand with new game modes. 

But I don't want to get my hopes up.
    YashaX said:

Yeah the servers are p2p, meaning players host their own servers.  If that player happens to have shitty internet, everyone on that "server" is fucked.

Here's an article about it:

http://segmentnext.com/2016/12/20/for-honor-servers/

This unfortunately seems like a deal breaker if they don't go with some official servers just to save some bucks.  They may change their minds- it seems like almost all the negative feedback about the game from this closed beta is about the servers.
    I am just wondering if maybe there is some advantage to p2p servers (besides it just being cheaper). For example does it in theory lower the ping for players in countries that would otherwise be far from official servers (since you are matched up with players in your region)?

I'm almost crying (really, there are tears in my eyes) though, because otherwise the game was a blast.
  • Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    I tried the beta over the weekend, didn't like it. too deathmatchy, controls were horrible on M+K. I did like the customisation though, but imo not worth ther price tag. Maybe if it was $20.