Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Progression Servers Unlock Schedule Revealed - EverQuest - MMORPG.com

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageProgression Servers Unlock Schedule Revealed - EverQuest - MMORPG.com

EverQuest News - The EverQuest site has been updated with a brief look at the 2017 schedule for unlocking expansion content on the Phinigel server as well as the voting schedule for Ragefire and Lockjaw.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Hey Blizzard, take a look at this.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Grakulen said:
    How 'bout they don't wanna and don't care what DBG does? ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    It's pretty clear that Blizzard isn't doing legacy or progression servers. They are on top and have no incentive to change their profit making ways.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    SBFord said:
    Grakulen said:
    It just doesn't make financial sense for Blizzard to put hard work into something that will bring in such a small payoff compared to all the other established games that are making them so much money.

Bob Toady, Music Annalist: "Hey Mr. Giant music corporation chairman, I know you're making a ton of cash off of boy bands and whinny tween girl singers, but you know there are still people out there who love accordion music, why not add some great accordionists to your catalog?"

Big Joe, the CEO: "Are you fucking nuts!? Security! Throw this man out of the window!"
    I'm sure they've done many a cost benefit analysis on this very topic. It doesn't mean I still can't wish for a World of Warcraft progression server. 
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    It's the masses that want a dumbed down mmo, now, so not fully Blizzards fault there. But surely they are to blame as to introducing an entitled mmo experience or game play to the public.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Wish UO would have a "Fresh Start" server Pre-trammel, but that is another topic. ;)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    You cannot deny however the Everquest developers seem more inclined to try this. Is it due to their falling subscriptions numbers or not having the popularity of WoW making them try things that companies with mad success can ignore.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Torval said:
    Grakulen said:
    It's a little more complicated than that. It's apparently worked for EQ, but the same thing has wrecked the EQ2 community and split server populations. EQ2 had to do another round of server merges even after attempts at legacy servers

There is huge risk involved and it might not pay out as expected. What if it damages the long term health of the game? Is it worth the risk for a potential small revenue bump?
    And it has happened before - my first experience of it being DAoC.

That said I believe Blizzard could do "something" as long as it isn't open to everyone. So people have to register their interest followed by Blizzard inviting X people, were X is relatively small, taken from "many servers". And Blizzard could also have some sort of scoring system to give preference to longer term subscribers say. Subsequently - after a week or a month - Blizzard have a further sound of invites potentially replacing people who joined the previous "month" and discovered that their memories were been seen through the proverbial rose tinted glasses.

So some sort of managed process to avoid the - potential - disaster of half servers leaving, guilds being torn asunder and so forth. Obviously not everyone would be "happy" - but you can say though that they are not happy now though. And if its a rolling programme then some will return from "the new servers" and resume life as normal. Or leave completely.

The risk - as @Torval says though - is very real and significant. An assumption that its simply people who no longer play WoW that would try the servers is - on the evidence of other games - wrong.
  • Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

SBFord said:

Grakulen said:

SBFord said:

Grakulen said:

that's awesome, because I feel the same about Blizzard.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited January 2017
    I typically advocate for P99 if one wants the total "authentic" retro EQ experience. However, for those wanting higher fidelity models, cosmetic mods, casters medding on mounts, etc. the official progression servers are a great choice as well. I would be playing on Phin but my family that plays only will on P99 (plus got me a full set of Ravenscale for my Barb Rogue ;) ).
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

kitarad said:

You cannot deny however the Everquest developers seem more inclined to try this. Is it due to their falling subscriptions numbers or not having the popularity of WoW making them try things that companies with mad success can ignore.

The truth is that these progression servers are probably their best source of income and player influx. Thousands of people flock to them, each time.

They are almost a necessity for breathing life into EQ. For that matter, they've already announced a while ago that they have a new progression server coming this summer-ish, at some point.

If the game wasn't in constant struggle-mode, and was successful like WoW, they likely never would have released one to start with. It was nothing more than a (very successful)way to bring much needed players back to the game.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Blizzard will never do this because it's basically admitting their own expansions are shit. DBG games were circling the drain, they had no choice but to cave.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    All respect to p99 but when I played a bit there it always reminds me of the thousands small improvements that made eq evolve through the years, and I miss them and the vasty improved client. Not to mention the insane mudflation on a stagnant server, the hogging of all important camps and nasty community. For what flaws official progression servers has, they are still my preferred, although the recent batch were too slow on progression for my taste.

A good progressions server for me would be:
    Instanced raiding - fixes poop socking, fixes the even worse "rotation" rules.
    Progression auto-unlocking no voting.
    Classic + kunark 1 month, Velious 1 month, Luclin 1 month, PoP 2 months, LDoN 1 month, 1 month grace + LoY, GoD 1 month...
    Fists and mage pet nerf.
    Preferably special case rollback of revamped zones such as Freeport, oasis, high hold, nektulos etc (yeah one can dream)
    Box limit of 3 - inspired by an emu, it is enough to make things interesting but not so many that one person can do everything by themselves.