Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RPG crafting . Grind progress vs recipes collecting .

iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
Grind craft require time but everyone can be master craftsman ,
 while recipes collection turn player into unique and only few master who able to craft certain items .

Between the two type , what do you prefer ?

Or there are other type you want to play ?

Comments

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Recipe collecting only if there is a very wide range of recipes that are each very rare (but collectively fairly common), so the odds of any crafter being the same as another are very low.
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    How can someone be a master if they can only make objects that they've found a recipe for?  Crafting should involve players themselves discovering and creating the recipes.  Discovery and creation of a recipe should be a process of it's own so that even a google'd list of recipes isn't good enough.  Masters should be able to forge an object with unique properties that reflect the master's own personality.

Those that are masters should be sought after not only for their product but also for their knowledge of the craft.
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited January 2017
    Interesting question.
    Depends on the game I guess.  I prefer crafting progression not being too tied up to the "combat", so I would'nt want getting crafting recipe from killing mobs for instance (though crafting components are totally acceptable, but this is more akin to harvesting than crafting, and these can easliy be sold on the auction house afterwards, as opposed to recipe, since, if they can be looted/sold on the AH, kind of remove the "unicity" of it, since any crafter could just buy the one he wish for in the end..).

On the other hand, I really like the id of a vast number of unique recipes, that would help each crafter offer more unique and specialized services. Maybe this could be tied to the grinding somehow. Grind enough of a specific component and you can unlock special recipes for them?

Ex.: you spend lots of time grinding sword hilts, up to the time where you have mastered your technique, and discover a unique way of balancing it, which grants you a unique recipe that grants some bonus to the sword you will build it with.

And also, maybe through exploration, or maybe through performing specific crafting related task (ex.: doing lots of crafting tasks that requires you to craft specific objects for NPC throughout the world), you can then be lead to some "trainer" that will show you a very specific technique, that will, by default give you different specs for this specific object, while also granting you a chance to unlock new unique recipes (assuming you craft said object using this specific technique)?

This would bring even more diversity to the crafters (have to find out about reknown trainers, find a way to get his attention and learn his technique  will make your items different than others, but that will also lead to learning different recipes than another crafter using another technique, etc.)

This also depends a lot on the type of stats/skills there are in said game too, because, obviously, in games that reduce the amount of available stats for the sake of simplicity, the number of possible different and unique recipe is also reduced accordingly.

Anyway.. I'm thinking out loud here I guess, but that's an interesting topic.. I have always liked crafting and I think it's been put on the side lines for far too long... I just can't wait to see what Camelot Unchain will have to propose with the BSC ideas, knowing that, finally, crafter will be a "main" class for once.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Neither.  I like the tech tree system, where each individual craft takes a lot of time or materials, but you craft mainly 1 of each thing for yourself, you don't usually craft to sell and crafts don't fail.  Every player will learn every recipe if they put enough time and effort into unlocking all the tech tree branches by building appliances and expanding their house to fit all the appliances.  A Tale in the Desert is my MMO example - you gather wood and slate to build a wood plane, then you plane more wood to make boards, then you assemble boards into a brick mold and make bricks, then you use hundreds of bricks and boards, plus some straw or flax, to build a little shack, then you can build a storage chest inside your shack, etc.  Eventually you are up to working metal and glass, and you can build yourself a palace if you want to.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Neither.  I prefer that crafting be interesting, and neither of those approaches will do it.

There are a variety of ways to make crafting interesting.  Perhaps my favorite is for players to have to put serious consideration into deciding what they want to craft.  A good crafting mini-game can help, provided that players aren't expected to play that minigame repeatedly far beyond the point at which they get sick of it.  Crafting as a complex part of a deep economy can be good, too.  These aren't mutually exclusive, so a game could do more than one.