Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I would really like a game similar to Darkfall but with Faction PvP instead of FFA/Guild PvP

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I would really like a game similar to Darkfall but with Faction PvP instead of FFA/Guild PvP along side some fun public PvE gameplay that is challenging while not being excluded to guild content. 

Whats your thoughts on something like this?
does that spark your interest? 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    DMKano said:
    DAoC with full loot?

Hmm I think it would suck personally, to lose gear to the zerg.
    but isnt that the same as how FFA does it as well? so whats the complaint?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Archeage 3.0
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    filmoret said:
    Archeage 3.0
    Doesn't have full loot.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I think that would be fun. Darkfall New Dawn will probably be the closest we will ever get. They are going to have a reputation system that will encourage players to treat members of their faction well.

Forgrimm said:
    filmoret said:
    Archeage 3.0
    Doesn't have full loot.
    Every time you try to upgrade an item.  It feels like you got full looted.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited January 2017
    here are my thoughts.
     if you make it so you can only loot players of the enemy faction, what will happen is that there will be a one faction which dominates (always is) and everyone will just re-roll to that faction so they can just steam roll everyone in one big zerg, AND run very little risk of getting killed and looted themselves.
    eventually it will be so lopsided that there only will be one huge faction rolling around in a megazerg with no one to fight cause nobody wants to be on the weak side.

this just doesn't work in an open world scenario where people can simply choose their faction, and there is nothing preventing people from simply making a huge zerg.

full loot should just be full loot. perhaps you can implement a mechanic that only gives "murder points" if you kill members of your own (or friendly) factions. you get a certain amount of murder points and you are outlawed by your own faction and become free kill for anyone, or something like that. that would encourage people to seek out opposite faction members so as not to incur murder penalties.

imo however any full loot game should always have highly secure zones where murdering is swiftly punished, and medium to no security zones where people can choose to do whatever they want. i do believe EvE struck the best balance so far in this regard. you are never completely safe, however you can choose how much danger you feel like tackling.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Forgrimm said:
    filmoret said:
    Archeage 3.0
    Doesn't have full loot.

Which is a good thing. Full loot actively discourages PvP and results in a game where people start running for the hills as soon as they think they aren't 100% certain to win.
    Forgrimm said:
    filmoret said:
    Archeage 3.0
    Doesn't have full loot.

Which is a good thing. Full loot actively discourages PvP and results in a game where people start running for the hills as soon as they think they aren't 100% certain to win.
    Yea usually ends up in a one sided gank fest.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    DMKano said:
    DAoC with full loot?

Hmm I think it would suck personally, to lose gear to the zerg.
    I'd like to see an MMORPG one day, with nice in-depth PvE zones and open dungeons, with all the legendary loot. And contested PvP zones (where you don't have to go unless you want to PvP) with full-loot (prefer partial loot though) and an awesome crafting, mainly aimed to arm the PvPers. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited January 2017
    This shit again. Full loot is a shit mechanic that does not work. It either turns players away as its too punitive a feature that keeps them from being able to compete against stronger, or just more numerous opponents. Or its a pointless shit show as they make losing gear not a big deal but still waste everyone's time having to go and re-gear before getting back to what they actually all want to do, you know PLAY THE FUCKING GAME!
    i disagree. EvE has full loot and you can play away all you want in a large part of the game without too much worry. if you want more excitement you can always go find it in lower security. some people stay in high security all the time and barely ever have to deal with losing stuff.

i think if done right full loot adds a lot of excitement  to a game. most developers simply go too extreme with it. there needs to be a large part of the game where it is incredibly punishing to attack others, and other parts where it's a free for all.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    edited January 2017
    This shit again. Full loot is a shit mechanic that does not work. It either turns players away as its too punitive a feature that keeps them from being able to compete against stronger, or just more numerous opponents. Or its a pointless shit show as they make losing gear not a big deal but still waste everyone's time having to go and re-gear before getting back to what they actually all want to do, you know PLAY THE FUCKING GAME!
    i disagree. EvE has full loot and you can play away all you want in a large part of the game without too much worry. if you want more excitement you can always go find it in lower security. some people stay in high security all the time and barely ever have to deal with losing stuff.

i think if done right full loot adds a lot of excitement  to a game. most developers simply go too extreme with it. there needs to be a large part of the game where it is incredibly punishing to attack others, and other parts where it's a free for all.

Insurance trivializes losses for most ship types in Eve, so it's not a true full loot/full loss game. The ship and many/most mods are lost which reduces the incentive for people to go around ganking for loot that you saw in UO or Darkfall. Even with insurance people still stay aligned to warp instantly so they can run if anything shows up that they're not confident they can kill (or for many people just any hostile player at all).

For players flying fits that insurance doesn't trivialize, their losses are likely covered by their corp anyway, so it's still trivial.