Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for New MMO

Cody_RauhCody_Rauh Member UncommonPosts: 76
To give you an idea of what type of player I am.

I would run around in skyrim, with invisibility, dagger and bow, the original rags and shakels you were given with.
I would spend time gathering herbs for brewing potions. I was very minimalist. My character was a 60 year old,
frail looking but agile hermit.

A rather unremarkable, unimportant, explorer and observer.

Here is what I am looking for...

=) [ #1 Character customization ] ( not korean, not meathead ) ability to customize look like dye system in guild wars.
With ability to transmog the look of one piece of armor onto another of similar type.

For instance maybe you have a lvl 60 piece of gear, yet you like the look of the lvl 10 armor chest so you
 apply the look of it to the stats of the 
higher gear.

=) [ #2 Progressive Skill System ] Similar to Elder Scrolls Online, where the more you do something the better you get.
or like eve online where you can pick and choose to custom build, not class bound style WOW ( paladin, priest, ranger bullcrap! )

=) [ #3 Savanging and Crafting ] I really like to discover items and places, I like to loot loot loot chests and bodies. I like to take
scraps and make my own little items.

=) [ #4 Player Housing ] I like the idea of my own space to organize, use privately, enjoy away from everything else. decorate.
Personally I would love to have a nomadic tent, buried in the trees, as I drift area to area.

=) [ #5 Stealth ] I really really like to be unseen, unheard to go place to place and observe my enemies and other players, stalk.

=) [ #6 Play Style ] I really hate a game that has 40 skill icons on screen that you have to press in order like a monkey, with creepy
spider like fingers. I like the KISS method, keep it simple stupid. Whatever item you have in hand is the skill you are using.
Axe, Bow, Spear, Pickaxe, etc.

=) [ #7 Persistant Large World ] I want an MMO, not a MMOG, or MOBA, or Player server, but an expansive persistent world.

=) [ #8 Sandbox ] I like to do what I want, I prefer skill grind over item grind, and I don't like theme park, hold your hand carebear
bs. I like full loot, but can live without it. I don't get attached to items...

=) [ #9 POLISH ] I am done supporting cash grab pre-alpha, pay me to never complete my "dream" games. So many hype hype hype,
and never finish, or are buggy as hell, or hacked, botted, exploited, dead.

Does the game I am looking for even exist or is it another 30 years out from now?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    The game you seek will likely never exist, you are too specific with your tastes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Kyleran said:
    The game you seek will likely never exist, you are too specific with your tastes.
    I thought you would suggest eve...

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Kyleran said:
    I think what he is looking for isn't that far fetched.  Sounds like a descent sandbox.  No crazy graphic requirement.  Nothing so specific like using certain weapons or underwater content. 

To the op:  I think your last point is the most important.  I could ramble off some upcoming mmos, but wait and see is the best policy to avoid disappointment.  I think no mmo has replaced the good 1st gen mmorpgs like UO, Asherons call, etc.  
  • Cody_RauhCody_Rauh Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Kyleran said:
    I feel that is a pretty strong opinion... "likely never exist"? Why do you feel this way?

There isn't a technological hurdle, the things I am searching for are pretty standard now
    just not easy to find all in the same combination yet.

I just want to play in rags, as a nomadic little hermit with sticks and stones. lol.
    In an environment where I can sneak around and watch other players,
    occasionally interacting with people at random... a little role playing. :)

P.S. Still looking for a new MMO.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    He can play Star Citizen if he's young enough, when and if it comes out.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Hmm...maybe Chronicles of Elyria or Ashes of Creation when they come out. :D
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

Kyleran said:
    I thought you would suggest eve...
    As he mentioned EVE in the OP I assumed he was aware of that option, but... no avatars...

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Cody_Rauh said:
    Kyleran said:
    I feel that is a pretty strong opinion... "likely never exist"? Why do you feel this way?

There isn't a technological hurdle, the things I am searching for are pretty standard now
    just not easy to find all in the same combination yet.

I just want to play in rags, as a nomadic little hermit with sticks and stones. lol.
    In an environment where I can sneak around and watch other players,
    occasionally interacting with people at random... a little role playing. :)

You nailed it. Everything you asked for already exists in one game or another, some games have many but none as them all and likely none ever will.

So how flexible are you? If a game nails 5 or 6, good enough? Any must haves or deal breakers such as forced PVP?

The more specific you get, the less likely it will happen.

A game like Mortal Online supports much of what you ask for, as well as some indie titles in the pipe but will likely have to drop that last item from your list.

Kyleran said:
    You nailed it. Everything you asked for already exists in one game or another, some games have many but none as them all and likely none ever will.

So how flexible are you? If a game nails 5 or 6, good enough? Any must haves or deal breakers such as forced PVP?

A game like Mortal Online supports much of what you ask for, as well as some indie titles in the pipe but will likely have to drop that last item from your list.

Well lets rank them in order of importance, it doesn't have to be a 10 out of 10.

Must Haves:

[  Freedom of Playstyle ] 
     [  Persistant Large World ] 
     [  Sandbox ] 
     [  Character customization ] 
     [ Performance ] If it functions like dog crap I won't play. 
     [ Scavenging / Gathering / Crafting ]

Optional But preferred:

[ Stealth ]
     [ Player Housing ]

What I won't do:

:(  [ Asian/ Korea Styled Cash Shop] Screw labor pots and cash shop ArcheAge!
     :(  [ Theme Park ]
     :(  [ Older than 2010 ]
     :(  [ MOBA/ MMOG / Player Server ]
     :(  [ Screen filled with skill icons ] I just don't have the finger agility for drug assisted button mashing.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Cody_Rauh said:
    P.S. Still looking for a new MMO.

MMO's are dead.

Get a PS4 and wait for new games.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Check out Project Gorgon.......http://projectgorgon.com/

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Cody_Rauh said:
    Kyleran said:

Well lets rank them in order of importance, it doesn't have to be a 10 out of 10.

Must Haves:

[  Sandbox ] 

Optional But preferred:

[ Stealth ]
     [ Player Housing ]

What I won't do:

:(  [ Screen filled with skill icons ] I just don't have the finger agility for drug assisted button mashing.

ANd UO fits that bill also
    Cody_Rauh said:
    Kyleran said:

Must Haves:

[  Sandbox ] 

Optional But preferred:

[ Stealth ]
     [ Player Housing ]

What I won't do:

Sadly, Archeage already fits your bill, but you aren't like it, well..

I dunno, BDO maybe. For first 7 days I heard it's free.

[  Freedom of Playstyle ]  (uhh, this is subjective matter..)
     [  Persistant Large World ] (check)
     [  Sandbox ] (check)
     [  Character customization ] (check)
     [ Performance ] If it functions like dog crap I won't play. (check)
     [ Scavenging / Gathering / Crafting ] (check, but I dunno about "scavenging")

Try BDO then.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The only game you can do all that stuff in is Skyrim.  You can pretty much mod all that stuff but you won't have other players only NPC's to play with.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Elder Scrolls Online is the closest thing to what you want.

Minus the Sandbox but you can always use your imagination. Seems you are already good at that anyway. ;)

• triikortriikor Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Maybe try Albion online.
    If I remember correctly character customization is in the works (if it is not already in game, I haven't played in awhile)

It has everything else on your must have list and player housing Yet I feel like your demanding list will shun the game due to the isometric view.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    edited January 2017
    Hmmm -- your want list kind of sounds like Istaria as a dragon..

Meh -- you said 2010 after your initial requirements.  Still It couldn't hurt much to give it a try if you never played this unique title.
    edited January 2017
    Chronicles of Elyria would be the one to watch, if it ever manages to get built.

Ticks all of your major boxes, but they appear to be underfunded and over promising at this point.

New World by Amazon Studios is a more likely bet, though they haven't shared many details they definitely have the funding.

Both titles are several years away IMO so not seeing much on the near horizon that would suit your tastes. (which are close to mine btw)

As someone mentioned, BDO is likely the closest thing out there and costs like $9.99 to buy.

Read a few guides / watch a few videos posted by players here on this site before you start.

I think if you dont play it as traditional rush to the end MMO you will find a much deeper game with several sandbox like activities, and the game is definitely solo centric.

If you ask someone will likely give you a 7 day free trial key, but again read up prior so you get the most from the experience.

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    edited January 2017
    Maybe it's worthwhile to keep an eye on Ashes of Creation too.

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276
    BDO prob the best game out at the moment... the only reason i dont play it is because its like a full time job, i just play and play and forget about everything else, at my age i need stuff more casual now, but u might like it, its a very good game

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited January 2017
    UO is what you want to play if you don't mind 20 year old 2d graphics.

ESO is the closest thing you will find that fits your criteria and feels like Skyrim. as others have said the thing that will probably disappoint you is the fact that it's not a sandbox, and doesn't have a completely open seamless world. it's all pve zones with one main pvp zone in the middle. there is stealth, customization, gathering/crafting, etc. no player looting. it is a very heavy questing experience until you are high enough to enter the (GW2 style) pvp zone inthe middle, where you endlessly fight over control of forts and resource points.

BDO is a huge seamless world, it is more of a sandbox than ESO, but there is no stealth a la WoW. you actually have to crouch/crawl in the bushes if you want to not be seen. the combat is like Vindictus, and not everyone's cup of tea. the art style is very Asian, and there is a (expensive) cosmetic cash shop. End game is also very RNG dependent, and there is little group PvE content, just pvp. at level 45 you there is partial inventory loot drop on death.

someone mentioned Mortal Online. it has everything you want except stealth and it runs like shit, with bugs and glitches galore. an amazing concept for a game with an incompetent tiny dev team that just has not enough money or skill to get it to work properly.

EvE does deserve a mention. it has everything, except that you are a ship in space. you really have to love space here.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    BDO does have some of the features, but i think might have a problem with the class restrictions and gender lock maybe, there aren't really that many classes and there is no variety in weapon use once you choose a class.
    Shroud of the Avatar might be worth checking out when it eventually is finished perhaps  :o

Not many games really fit that well within the necessary criteria.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    IF you have the proper imagination you should do the following:

1) Get ESO

2) at level 10 go to Cryodiil (pvp area... huge)

3) in Cryodiil pretend you are in open world pvp, sandbox

4) see if you can sneak around unnoticed and unimportant in your little rags

5) loot EVERYTHING you see... and pickpocket and murder peepz and NPCs.

6) use your little scraps that you find, loot and pickpocket to craft till your hearts desire

7) sneak up on the real enemy... obviously that is the smelly AD and DC factions

8) become a stealth monster by choosing the right class... spec'd right you can stealth all day, cc peepz and dance around them in the nude... or with your little rags.

9) ESO is definitely your game... just be creative and go to Cryodiil at level 10 and be that little rag-a-muffin that you've always dreamed of being.

10) your kinda hot!

Sz  :)
    SaunZ said:
    IF you have the proper imagination you should do the following:

1) Get ESO

2) at level 10 go to Cryodiil (pvp area... huge)

3) in Cryodiil pretend you are in open world pvp, sandbox

4) see if you can sneak around unnoticed and unimportant in your little rags

5) loot EVERYTHING you see... and pickpocket and murder peepz and NPCs.

6) use your little scraps that you find, loot and pickpocket to craft till your hearts desire

7) sneak up on the real enemy... obviously that is the smelly AD and DC factions

8) become a stealth monster by choosing the right class... spec'd right you can stealth all day, cc peepz and dance around them in the nude... or with your little rags.

9) ESO is definitely your game... just be creative and go to Cryodiil at level 10 and be that little rag-a-muffin that you've always dreamed of being.

10) your kinda hot!

Sz  :)
    3) Sandbox means there are contents that created by players, it doesn't mean open world pvp always equate to sandbox.

10) Just book a motel room, you two!