Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvE-focused MMORPGs

mglwd40mglwd40 Member UncommonPosts: 6
Are there any good PvE/raid-based MMORPGs that have been released in the last few years, or are any coming out soon?  Most of the recent MMOs I've seen seem to be centered around PVP, such as ESO, Blade and Soul, Black Desert, etc.  They have some PvE content, but it doesn't seem to be a real focus.  Have raiding/PvE games fallen out of favor as of late?

I've always enjoyed the MMOs with the traditional raiding systems like WoW, LOTRO, and Rift.  I find that games that are too heavily focused on PVP or player-run things often end up with one super-hardcore group just dominating everyone else and taking the fun out of it.  Wildstar is the only newer one I can think of that is supposed to be more of a PvE/raiding game, but I haven't really tried it yet.  All of the rest that I know of are >5yrs old.

Comments

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited January 2017
    FFXIV:ARR. It's a few years old, but still looks good and is going stronger than ever with regular content updates and a 2nd expansion in June. There are 24 man raids. 8 man raids (including a hard mode for the best gear / challange) and 8 man trials (basically standalone boss fights, including a hard mode for most).

It is also AAA P2P, so it's well made, generally well balanced, and the devs time is focused on making a great game and not on driving players to a cash shop. There is PvP and a cosmetics shop, but in 2 years of playing I barely know they exist.

Edit: If you want to get an idea of the raiding, there are plenty of guide videos on youtube.

Edit: Also, be aware that you will have to work though a lot of story quests in the leveling process, but you only ever have to do them once, as unlike most MMOs, you can play every class (job) on a single character.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I've been told by a lot of folks who really care about what I think that EvE is really what your looking for.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • mglwd40mglwd40 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited January 2017
    Aori said:
    ESO is very much centered around PvE imo.  Though it sounds like you're looking for FFXIV.
    It does have some fun PvE content, but the main thing I dislike is that it only has 4 real raids (the first two of which are super-easy), and they basically don't give you anything for completing them other than bragging rights.  I really enjoyed the content, I just wish that there was either substantially more of it, or some actual rewards for completing it, even if it's just cool-looking cosmetics or something.  I still think ESO is one of my favorite MMOs out there, since it has awesome story-based quests and fun combat, but after doing the content once I started to get kind of bored.

I will look into final fantasy.  The main reason I hadn't is because it is P2P and several years old, so I wasn't sure about paying monthly for it.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    GW2 has raiding.  I prefer the open boss fights and dynamic events which scale to the number of players involved, in which anyone can join in at any time.  Some are guild sponsored and they walk you through the mechanics of the fights.  They have them in nearly every zone and because you de-level in lower zones they can be a nice challenge.  But if you want strict formal raids there are those as well.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    mglwd40 said:
    Wildstar is the only newer one I can think of that is supposed to be more of a PvE/raiding game, but I haven't really tried it yet.
    Maybe you should :wink:  PvE-focused raid-heavy, recent game, Wildstar is a nice fit for that. I don't play it atm (Ï prefer LotRO more from your "traditional" examples), but I had quite some fun with it both after launch, and then after the the f2p switch too. Definitely worths a shot, if you want those criteria.