Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this site so negative?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited January 2017
    kchisarik said:
    There is also a wonderful feature the site has which lets you go an IGNORE posts from anyone you find too negative/positive or even if you just dislike their name!
    Best thing I ever did was start to use this feature for certain (ok just one) people.
    Yes. More people should use it. In today's social environment people think it's ok to try and stop others from expressing their thoughts.  It's very much this thought purity that concerns me most about where we,as a society are going. 

This site makes it simple. If you find someone else's speech disturbing simple hit that ignore button.  This way you can control what you choose to hear which is quite different from trying to control what others can say.
    I'll have to disagree with you here. It's not about them expressing their thoughts. They just have no idea "how" to express their thoughts in any way other than ...

And then others have to bend around them and "ignore them" as opposed to them actually being good members of a community. Maybe even being adults and realizing that not every place is a place where people want to hear their nonsense.

This happens in game as well. It's just a steady stream of trash.

It's ok to express dissenting views. Even an excellent thing to do. But not in the manner that some people do it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited January 2017
    Iselin said:
    To whores screwing is just a business too.
    You do not have to be a whore to get screwed. Also, prostitution is legal in some countries.

Is there supposed to be some point in your post...?
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Sovrath said:
    kchisarik said:
    There is also a wonderful feature the site has which lets you go an IGNORE posts from anyone you find too negative/positive or even if you just dislike their name!
    Best thing I ever did was start to use this feature for certain (ok just one) people.
    Yes. More people should use it. In today's social environment people think it's ok to try and stop others from expressing their thoughts.  It's very much this thought purity that concerns me most about where we,as a society are going. 

This site makes it simple. If you find someone else's speech disturbing simple hit that ignore button.  This way you can control what you choose to hear which is quite different from trying to control what others can say.

That looks so like me when I log into WoW! :D

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited January 2017
    Gdemami said:
    Iselin said:
    To whores screwing is just a business too.
    You do not have to be a whore to get screwed. Also, prostitution is legal in some countries.

Were you even making some point...?
    Well if you're so thick you need a roadmap... the point:

Most screwing does not happen as a business enterprise. The fact that it can be monetized just like art can is irrelevant... it's not its raison d'etre.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2017
    Iselin said:
    Well if you're so thick you need a roadmap... the point:

Most screwing does not happen as a business enterprise. The fact that it can be monetized just like art can is irrelevant... it's not its raison d'etre.
    Ah, so there is no point. Things just come out of you...
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited January 2017
    On any thread on a particular game it's full of people complaining about that game even when it's clear they don't play it.  
    This! There are tons of people on this forum who bitch about the games which they didn't even play for years. I see those people especially on Eso, WoW and Gw2 forums. They bitch about every damn news and they don't even play the games which they talk about. They think those games still the same since they last played them years ago. Well I've got news for you! They don't...  I'm so sick of this. How can someone be that ignorant is beyond me.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Sovrath said:
    kchisarik said:

I'll have to disagree with you here. It's not about them expressing their thoughts. They just have no idea "how" to express their thoughts in any way other than ...

And then others have to bend around them and "ignore them" as opposed to them actually being good members of a community. Maybe even being adults and realizing that not every place is a place where people want to hear their nonsense.

It's ok to express dissenting views. Even an excellent thing to do. But not in the manner that some people do it.
    Again... if in YOUR OPINION you dislike the manner that people express their views then use the damn ignore button and you will not have to see them.  Take charge of what YOU hear and see and stop worrying about controlling what others say.   It's a win/win.  

The problem is that some aren't happy with that.  It's not enough to not hear what someone is saying.  They want to insure others can't say it at all... and that is a very disturbing direction to head.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited January 2017
    Sovrath said:
    kchisarik said:

Again... if in YOUR OPINION you dislike the manner that people express their views then use the damn ignore button and you will not have to see them.  Take charge of what YOU hear and see and stop worrying about controlling what others say.   It's a win/win.  

The problem is that some aren't happy with that.  It's not enough to not hear what someone is saying.  They want to insure others can't say it at all... and that is a very disturbing direction to head.
    Yes, in my opinion. Thing is though that some people have no social skills, and no idea how to act "in public".

You can bet that if they were to go into a bank or some public place and "expressed their views" in the manner that they do in game/on websites that they would be removed.

Know where you are, know what is considered acceptable behavior for that venue.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Self-Loathing
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    edited January 2017
    This site is not negative as such, its more that there is a lot of cynical people, I do not mean this to be an insult at all.

I am a long time gamer, I'm approaching 50 and I do confess to being somewhat grumpy about the way the industry has  gone, but then I started gaming when everything was new and exciting, all be it somewhat crap due to tech limitations.

But in that time I've been burnt more than once by certain big companies, left unimpressed by the actions of so called companies who think the tag Indie gives them the right to exploit the very lax controls over the industry, but I still have hope, I still play games, its just now I'm cynical as all hell and hate people on my lawn.

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    kchisarik said:

Yes, in my opinion. Thing is though that some people have no social skills, and no idea how to act "in public".

You can bet that if they were to go into a bank or some public place and "expressed their views" in the manner that they do in game/on websites that they would be removed.

Know where you are, know what is considered acceptable behavior for that venue.
    The difference of course.. is that at a bank or in some public space there is no simple button you can hit to ignore people.  It really can't be made much easier than that.  If you find something disturbing because of what people say, how they say it.. or even the spelling of their name... simply hit the button and like magic you won't be bothered by them again!

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Slapshot1188 said:
    The difference of course.. is that at a bank or in some public space there is no simple button you can hit to ignore people.  It really can't be made much easier than that.  If you find something disturbing because of what people say, how they say it.. or even the spelling of their name... simply hit the button and like magic you won't be bothered by them again!
    Neither, ignoring nor crying, contributes to the purpose of the boards - discussion, does it?
    Gdemami said:
    Slapshot1188 said:
    Neither, ignoring nor crying, contributes to the purpose of the boards - discussion, does it?
    It's all about the LOL button baby.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    ..that or ignore. I take the best out of it and at least have a good laugh at your posts.
    Gdemami said:
    Slapshot1188 said:
    I agree and thus do not have anyone on ignore.  I also do not complain when someone posts things I don't agree with or in a manner I don't like.  It's certainly preferable to allow free interaction, but when one finds that distressing its better to simple ignore one person than to prevent that person from interacting with the entire community.. or one or both of the people leaving.

As a society we are hurtling down a slide where we want to prevent anyone from saying anything which in any way we find offensive.  We aren't there yet.. but we are certainly much further down that road than we were a decade or so ago... and it's honestly petrifying.

Gdemami said:
    Iselin said:
    ..that or ignore. I take the best out of it and at least have a good laugh at your posts.
    Yeah. You're a great contributor here. The space you occupy is totally justified. We all rely on your LOLs to level up.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I see the site as being more half the people think the game they have never played is the greatest thing ever, and the other half that have never played think its the worst game ever made.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    OMG!  I hope peepz don't see me as too whiny when I complain?

Sz  :)
    Slapshot1188 said:
    As a society we are hurtling down a slide where we want to prevent anyone from saying anything which in any way we find offensive.
    Do you realize that is precisely what you are doing here...?

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I can also say that a large part of our regular forum commenters come from the outcry against SWG when it underwent massive changes years ago. We saw a flood of traffic to our forums from there, and that particular event in MMO history created more anger than any other.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Because many of us have been playing for well over a decade or more and we are witnessing the trend.  Perhaps, we're getting old and set in our ways?  Or we are watching a lot crap come out by large corporations now just to generate a ton of money for a short time.  Mmorpg's like every other product isn't so much a craft and a passion now versus some generic corporate money grab.  That's not to criticize the skill of the individual members...more like a criticism of who they work for.  I had a sh*t experience with NCSoft JUST last night.

That said, I'm not entirely negative.  There is light on the horizon...as long as they don't immediately sell out and have the product ruined.

Negative.  Yes that describes me...mostly.
    Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:
    Slapshot1188 said:
    Come on... you are better than that. XD
    Sorry I forgot this: :)

Sarcasm is hit and miss sometimes... /shrug.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

DztBlk said:
    Perhaps, we're getting old and set in our ways?
    Indeed you are. There is nothing wrong with new trends, it is just how you can('t) deal with the change that is an issue.
    Gdemami said:
    Slapshot1188 said:
    As a society we are hurtling down a slide where we want to prevent anyone from saying anything which in any way we find offensive.
    Do you realize that is precisely what you are doing here...?

How so?

I can also say that a large part of our regular forum commenters come from the outcry against SWG when it underwent massive changes years ago. We saw a flood of traffic to our forums from there, and that particular event in MMO history created more anger than any other.
    Maybe a bit of that but I think MMORPG players tend to be more passionate about the games we play than those who play other types of games... I think it's that whole "live in a world" thing that does it.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

This discussion has been closed.