Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - What’s Coming in 2017?

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    CrazKanuk said:

Here's a a question for you. Do you think that the whole CR dates debacle is blown out of proportion? If not, then why do we get other properties where developers seem to get a good ole pat on the back for consistently missing dates, while CR is labelled as incompetent? Case in point, Camelot Unchained. Look at other anticipated games as well. Pantheon, Shards Online, etc., etc. The list is, effectively, endless. Not making excuses, but it seems like CR is being demonized for something that is an industry problem, not something exclusive to SC. Don't you agree? 

If other companies were milking people in the same way that CIG does, then they too should be called out for their despicable behaviour. But that's not really the case is it.

Out of those examples I only follow Camelot Unchained and while their delays are disappointing they do give good in-depth reasons as to why they happen (unlike CIG). Also, they don't have conventions with bullshot demos religiously accompanied by sales where they repeatedly, as in every single fricking time, give a date that they cannot honour, a date that they know they cannot honour, and is only given for the express purpose of misleading people to open their wallets.

I agree that their monetization is very fair. I have no complaints about it. Imean $450 is still a good chunk of change, but it's not thousands. That being said, I don't really think that downplaying their estimates because of the amount of money they bring in is fair, either. It's a bit of a double standard, isn't it? Like just because someone makes a fuckton of money doesn't magically make them super adept at estimating. Also, as I mentioned, they are now very granular with their schedule, so forgetting about the past, does this actually give them more credibility? I think so. Better than thin-air estimates. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Erillion said:

I find that strange, if someone else let me down time after time I would be pissed off, I certainly wouldn't go round making excuses and apologising for their incompetency.
    Here is what you do not seem to understand ... Chris Roberts did not let us down.

And certainly not time after time. Contrary to you many backers do understand that what CIG is creating here IS NOT EASY. It may take longer than expected, because this particular combination of game mechanics and concepts HAS NOT BEEN DONE BEFORE. 

Have fun
    For the first part of your post, who is 'us' exactly? MANY people are feeling let down, just look around you on these very forums. 'Us'  might apply to the righteous defenders but I have seen more disgruntled people then happy ones over the state and delays of SC and its side projects. That really isn't something difficuklt to understand.

About the second part, the bit I highlighted, the problem with this many delays is that parts of SC, perhaps even more complex parts then SC has, will be created by other companies in the meantime. I'll be honest, I don't think SC will launch before 2019/2020 as a fully finished game. I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if another company creates a fully functioning Space sim in the meantime which does several things better then SC does. I also wouldn't be surprised if SC features less then half of what Roberts came up with to begin with.

And maybe it turns out I am wrong about all this, so far there really is no telling who is right or wrong, I only know the delays are often and long. But lets not pretend everyone is super happy with how things are going except for some angry haters, development is troublesome to say the least which is in stark contrast with their highly successful funding campaign.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    lahnmir said:
    Erillion said:

I find that strange, if someone else let me down time after time I would be pissed off, I certainly wouldn't go round making excuses and apologising for their incompetency.
    Here is what you do not seem to understand ... Chris Roberts did not let us down.

And certainly not time after time. Contrary to you many backers do understand that what CIG is creating here IS NOT EASY. It may take longer than expected, because this particular combination of game mechanics and concepts HAS NOT BEEN DONE BEFORE. 

Have fun
    For the first part of your post, who is 'us' exactly? MANY people are feeling let down, just look around you on these very forums. 'Us'  might apply to the righteous defenders but I have seen more disgruntled people then happy ones over the state and delays of SC and its side projects. That really isn't something difficuklt to understand.

About the second part, the bit I highlighted, the problem with this many delays is that parts of SC, perhaps even more complex parts then SC has, will be created by other companies in the meantime. I'll be honest, I don't think SC will launch before 2019/2020 as a fully finished game. I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if another company creates a fully functioning Space sim in the meantime which does several things better then SC does. I also wouldn't be surprised if SC features less then half of what Roberts came up with to begin with.

And maybe it turns out I am wrong about all this, so far there really is no telling who is right or wrong, I only know the delays are often and long. But lets not pretend everyone is super happy with how things are going except for some angry haters, development is troublesome to say the least which is in stark contrast with their highly successful funding campaign.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    "Us" is over half a million of  paying backers. Who put their money where their mouth is. Compare that to a few people that go for a refund. At one point in the crowdfunding campaign it was 0.2 % refunds.

"Us" is the majority of 1,728,644 Star Citizen fans. Compare that to approximately a dozen disgruntled people here on this forum. With a good chance that some of these disgruntled posters  are redundant and using alts, like it happened in the past.

"Us" is the approx. tenthousand people or more per MONTH that still  join Star Citizen even as we speak ... and they obviously are not blinded by the doom and gloom propaganda by certain organized groups lurking in their professional troll holes.

With respect to new developments in space game .. i am playing most new Space games (and have supported the development of a lot of them). While some have nice parts and new ideas, none of them have the scope of Star Citizen (in German you would call that a "Gesamtkunstwerk" ... a complete work of art). They may get individual parts right. They sometimes look nice. They are fun to play. But they are not an alternative world to live in like Star Wars Galaxies was 10 years ago ... and where Star Citizen may be the successor in spirit.

Development is typical of new IPs and game concepts ... iterative, sometimes frustrating, bugsmashing galore, often delayed, needing polishing.... SC is typical of the genre.

No, not everyone of 1,728,644  fans is super happy ... because that is simply impossible in a world where the expectations and hopes of those 1,728,644  fans  are often mutually exclusive. Does that make Star Citizen a bad game, because it does not satisfy 100 % needs of 100 % of the fans? Certainly not. Its ok if it comes close ... which will still make it a darn good game, which will be fun to play.

Have fun
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    You guys are derailing the thread big time though. It's about what you realistically expect from CIG in 2017. You know, delays, lay-offs, promo vids, etc.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    kikoodutroa8 said:
    You know, delays, lay-offs, promo vids, etc.
    Star Citizen is going to collapse and everything will burn and go to hell.
    and/or...
    There will be no updates only delays and concept sales.
    and/or...
    If any update happens, it will be super bad and super broken.

Naysayers to the Naysaying! Nothing new here, same posts as the past ~2 years.
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    I'm only wondering if we will see squadron 42 this year?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited January 2017
    tinuelle said:
    I'm only wondering if we will see squadron 42 this year?
    Highly unlikely...

They do not even have all required tech in place.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Well, threads are closing again - so it's even more pointless to participate.

Was fun, though.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Erillion said:
    lahnmir said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    "Us" is over half a million of  paying backers. Who put their money where their mouth is. Compare that to a few people that go for a refund. At one point in the crowdfunding campaign it was 0.2 % refunds.

"Us" is the majority of 1,728,644 Star Citizen fans. Compare that to approximately a dozen disgruntled people here on this forum. With a good chance that some of these disgruntled posters  are redundant and using alts, like it happened in the past.

"Us" is the approx. tenthousand people or more per MONTH that still  join Star Citizen even as we speak ... and they obviously are not blinded by the doom and gloom propaganda by certain organized groups lurking in their professional troll holes.

With respect to new developments in space game .. i am playing most new Space games (and have supported the development of a lot of them). While some have nice parts and new ideas, none of them have the scope of Star Citizen (in German you would call that a "Gesamtkunstwerk" ... a complete work of art). They may get individual parts right. They sometimes look nice. They are fun to play. But they are not an alternative world to live in like Star Wars Galaxies was 10 years ago ... and where Star Citizen may be the successor in spirit.

Development is typical of new IPs and game concepts ... iterative, sometimes frustrating, bugsmashing galore, often delayed, needing polishing.... SC is typical of the genre.

No, not everyone of 1,728,644  fans is super happy ... because that is simply impossible in a world where the expectations and hopes of those 1,728,644  fans  are often mutually exclusive. Does that make Star Citizen a bad game, because it does not satisfy 100 % needs of 100 % of the fans? Certainly not. Its ok if it comes close ... which will still make it a darn good game, which will be fun to play.

Have fun
    I am glad you are speaking for all those people then. And to be clear, I am not a hater of SC, I actually hope it succeeds but I am not blinded by Roberts presence, nor am I incredibly surprised by what they have done up until now. And you really don't have to be a hater to be disappointed with how things are going...

I also like how you exagerate the 'bad' side by talking about alt accounts, organized troll groups etc. and then you go on to glamourize the 'good' side by calling all backers 'fans' and an alpha product a damn good game and fun when it isn't anywhere near the Gesamtkunstwerk you are talking about, You've got lots of informative and insightful posts about SC but besides this factual information there is very little objectivity to find anymore in what you write. And you can leave your hostile tone at the door next time, I am not here to attack anything.

I hope SC will be amazing but what I predict for 2017? Not that much tbh

/Cheers
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

MaxBacon said:
    kikoodutroa8 said:
    You know, delays, lay-offs, promo vids, etc.
    Star Citizen is going to collapse and everything will burn and go to hell.
    and/or...
    There will be no updates only delays and concept sales.
    and/or...
    If any update happens, it will be super bad and super broken.

Naysayers to the Naysaying! Nothing new here, same posts as the past ~2 years.
    The exact same can be said about you, you know. You basically repeat the same fallacious arguments over and over again, and on top of that it seems your witchhunt for "haters" is making your paranoid.
    Did you invest any money in the project? Cos if you did you should all the more be wary of what CIG is doing with it instead of burying your head deeper in the sand.

See you in the verse!
    edited January 2017
    The exact same can be said about you, you know. ... Cos if you did you should all the more be wary of what CIG is doing with it instead of burying your head deeper in the sand.
    I just repeat the same stuff because all people do here is complaining about delays, for 90% of it, so there's nothing more to discuss, neither it seems the people around here are interested into anything else but that. I like how you put fallacious on it and then go on villanizing me as you paint the poor little victims that are the "naysayers" (cause remember SC is the only game in the world where no such thing as trolls or haters exist!).

There's no need for witchhunts or paranoia, the alt accounts and trolls that go on a rampage around this forum and get banned constantly speak by themselves. Just the reality of this discussions, it's several times not about the topic, but about the posters.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Erillion said:

I didn't request a refund... and I won't... but on some levels I AM disappointed. My main desire is SQ42... which originally was pitched as a game that a few friends could play, and now I believe it's 100% solo.  I am also terribly disappointed that they made multiple design changes which resulted in SQ42 getting lumped into the general SC development cycle/hell.

That said, while I AM disappointed, I am willing to wait for CR to produce his Magnum Opus.  But as we are now in year 5 of post KS development (and over 2 years late)... patience is no longer a virtue.  Based on their original ETA they could have been nearing the launch of the sequel already.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Erillion said:

I didn't request a refund... and I won't... but on some levels I AM disappointed. My main desire is SQ42... which originally was pitched as a game that a few friends could play, and now I believe it's 100% solo.  I am also terribly disappointed that they made multiple design changes which resulted in SQ42 getting lumped into the general SC development cycle/hell.

That said, while I AM disappointed, I am willing to wait for CR to produce his Magnum Opus.  But as we are now in year 5 of post KS development (and over 2 years late)... patience is no longer a virtue.  Based on their original ETA they could have been nearing the launch of the sequel already.
    Rumors are telling that they want to implement SQ42 as a gamemode in the main client, this would mean if they make it scaleable that the drop in / drop out could be easily realised.

But don't hold your breath, they are reshotting the Mocaps again and mocap clean up takes ages ...

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

edited January 2017
    Rumors are telling that they want to implement SQ42 as a gamemode in the main client, this would mean if they make it scaleable that the drop in / drop out could be easily realised.
    What a random guy posts on the Somethingawful forums that has been shown redundantly wrong over and over again shouldn't even fall on the Rumours box. That's where that one came from.

SQ42 can't have co-op as said many times the way the story flows on a linear fashion, cinematics and such will not work out multiple players within it. As it is easy to picture why. CoOp is not completely out on that aspect, Erin Roberts said MP missions could happen after SQ42's release.

Now SQ42 and SC are not developed separately, in fact the build of 2.6 we downloaded on the first PTU builds included files of SQ42's vertical slice they forgot to opt-out from the build, and many times before leaks happened because of datamining. SQ42 if anything will be its own executable because they'll be within the same launcher.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    MaxBacon said:
    The exact same can be said about you, you know. ... Cos if you did you should all the more be wary of what CIG is doing with it instead of burying your head deeper in the sand.
    I just repeat the same stuff because all people do here is complaining about delays, for 90% of it, so there's nothing more to discuss, neither it seems the people around here are interested into anything else but that.
    This is my main grip as well, SC discussions always go round in circles, never going anywhere. Think people need to take the time to look into things and inform their selfs a bit more about whats going on, also you might surprise yourself and find that people deemed fanboys might actually have their fair share of problems with the development. 

Also no one is burying their head, some just don't see delays as a life or death problem, we know the reason and it's been shared here. Whether or not you accept that answer is up to you, but repeating the same question again and again is pointless and a waste of time, the outcome of the answer isn't going to change.

As I said, look more into the development and find something new to discuss, they have shitton of videos every week or so, how are people still talking about delays? It's been asked and answered for serval years. Bring something new to discuss to the table.

to the overall topic, I think 2017 and SC depends on what happens with 3.0 and after

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited January 2017
    Erillion said:

That is exactly my feelings towards SC. SQ42 was always my main interest. I always assume that any multiplayer game with any kind of PvP in it will be full of assholes so I usually stay away. So the PU was not a high priority for me, although I am excited to play around with it. Just not as much as the original game that was on KS. THAT is what I really wanted. THAT is why I am disappointed in the mess that has become SC development hell.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

bartoni33 said:
    Erillion said:

That is exactly my feelings towards SC. SQ42 was always my main interest. I always assume that any multiplayer game with any kind of PvP in it will be full of assholes so I usually stay away. So the PU was not a high priority for me, although I am excited to play around with it. Just not as much as the original game that was on KS. THAT is what I really wanted. THAT is why I am disappointed in the mess that has become SC development hell.

I agree, SQ42 was always my main interest. Honestly, I wonder if they ever actually asked backers what they were most interested in. I mean I love the systems they talk about for PU, but if all that was in a single player game I'd be just as happy. I backed it because it sounded similar to Wing Commander and Privateer, and Privateer was one of my favorite games of all time. I love trading and deep economic systems, but I don't necessarily require other players to be happy. 

Did they release 3.0 timelines? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    rertez said:
    I don't get this versioning though. 1.0 is usually the first release of a software that is considered complete in terms of major features. SC's versioning is very misleading because these 2.6.1 and 3.0 numbers suggest that the game's been past of its official release. It's just odd. Does anyone know the reasoning behind these version numbers?

The official store literally invites me to join Squadron 42. Can I play Squadron 42 right now? I'm asking this because the store page starts with suggesting that it's a currently playable game even though that below the "Add to cart" button there is a notice that tells me that the game is in alpha and it's constantly being expanded. So why should I care it's being expanded when I'm not allowed to see it? And a few lines below another notice telling me that the game will be available for download on release but there is something called "The Arena Commander dogfighting module" that is available right now in Star Citizen if I buy a SQ42 standalone package. Just to make the whole thing even more confusing... Is it Star Citizen the universe they're talking about or Star Citizen the game? Everything is just so confusing for a newcomer.

Okay I already know from alternative sources that instead of the originally planned one there are 2 games under development with no official release dates on any of them so considering the size of the scope I suppose that the first official launch of the game called Star Citizen is expected to come in at least 5-10 years from now. But from a fan made video (recommended by YouTube) I get the information that SC is closing to something called version 2.6.1. So what's the reasoning behind these unusually high and misleading version numbers? Sorry but I'm a newcomer consumer and their webshop should be clear and convincing about the basics of the product they want to sell me. Especially when the products don't exist yet and my official store puchase turns out to be not a purchase but a pledge.
    Right there on the same page you linked...

Featuring an all-star cast including Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson and more! Squadron 42 includes access to Arena Commander, so players can join Star Citizen’s persistent universe pilots in sharpening their dogfighting skills today.

Squadron 42 is currently in development. On release, it will be available for download to all who purchase this package. The Arena Commander dogfighting module can be accessed immediately and will be continually updated as Star Citizen is developed.

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
      You guys are derailing the thread big time though. It's about what you realistically expect from CIG in 2017. You know, delays, lay-offs, promo vids, etc.
      They are currently hiring...

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
      edited January 2017
      3.0 by the end of the year, 4.0 by the end of next year.  I think it usually takes a full year to do the major updates.  Regular updates were announced to go from monthly to every 3 months.  2.6.1, 2.6.2, that would be about 6 months right there.  Then probably 2.6.3, 2.6.4 or maybe a big jump at the end of the year for 3.0.  IMO.
      That's not how their version numbering works. The third number is for small patches that fix bugs, adjust balance, and do small tweaks to the game.

The second number is for regular updates that they were supposed to be doing. 2.6 was the last of those before 3.0, and now that 2.6 is released next time we'll get new content is whenever 3.0 releases.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
      edited January 2017
      Vrika said:
      3.0 by the end of the year, 4.0 by the end of next year.  I think it usually takes a full year to do the major updates.  Regular updates were announced to go from monthly to every 3 months.  2.6.1, 2.6.2, that would be about 6 months right there.  Then probably 2.6.3, 2.6.4 or maybe a big jump at the end of the year for 3.0.  IMO.
      That's not how their version numbering works. The third number is for small patches that fix bugs, adjust balance, and do small tweaks to the game.

The second number is for regular updates that they were supposed to be doing. 2.6 was the last of those before 3.0, and now that 2.6 is released next time we'll get new content is whenever 3.0 releases.  
      You do know they are officially talking about 2.6.1 and 2.6.2?  3.0 and for 4.0 are supposed to be large content updates, yes.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Azzras said:
      To replace those who left today?
      Azzras said:

OMG! They get to leave early today!!!! So jelly! 

That being said, I live in Canada, soooo leaving early to drive home in a blizzard and shovel the driveway while my kids play video games? Yeah, no. Maybe I'll work late, hope I get snowed in and pray my kids (or wife) shovel, lol. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
      ----------------

edited January 2017
      I wouldn't recommend your following of the "smart" sources that claim all this drama of employees leaving, as we see for almost 2 years now (where the company actually grown) Recently there was fun event within that, claims were made one dev has left the company and then another CIG dev comes and confronts him "he's standing right next to me!" :lol:

Time indeed flies doesn't it? Almost 2 years ago is like yesterday, when SC's collapse was supposedly imminent as the Austin office went through layoffs.
      Post edited by MaxBacon on