Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Card upgrading question.

gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234
Hello. I am curious if I should run into any issues upgrading to a 1060 Video card. I currently have:Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti /8.0 GB Ram and Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit. 600-650 good power supply. Thank you for any input. Im assuming if I can upgrade I should see a noticeable difference in fps in games like Black Desert and Archeage and such?

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    You should see a marked increase in framerate. If you can afford the extra $50 for the 6GB version of the 1060, do it.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    a) Can we get a mod to move this to Hardware?

b) Yes, you'll see a noticeable difference between a 1060 and a 660Ti. It may not MAX MAX everything, but it'll be close.

c) Probably no issues upgrading, if your already running the 660Ti with no issues.

d) Be aware, there are two 1060's and they aren't the same card: the 3G and 6G VRAM versions. The 3G is a good bit cheaper, but not quite as fast as the 6G version.
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    two words, DO IT
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Is there a recommended model of the 3g and the 6g? If so links are appriciated
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    The 3 GB and 6 GB versions of the GTX 1060 are really different cards and shouldn't have been given the same name.  Think of them as a GTX 1060 and GTX 1060 Ti, respectively, or something like that.

Which particular SKU you should get depends largely on how things are priced that day.  Though at current prices on New Egg, none of them are a compelling value and I'd sooner get this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137049

Better performance than the 3 GB version of a GTX 1060, and quite a bit cheaper, too.  Maybe 5-10% slower than a 6 GB version of a GTX 1060, but 30% cheaper.

To be clear, as of this posting, that's $175 with free shipping, and before a $20 rebate.  If it's $200 by the time you look at it, that's not so interesting.
    with all due respect im a gforce loyalist. thank you for the info though.:)
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    gorro187 said:
    with all due respect im a gforce loyalist. thank you for the info though.:)
    Well then, if you step up to a GeForce GTX 1070, then it's undisputed that Nvidia is the better value in that performance segment, as AMD isn't in that performance segment at all and won't be until Vega.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125875

It's your money, not mine.  But I wouldn't get a GTX 1060 at its current price.  It would be a much more interesting card if it were $30 cheaper.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited January 2017
    Right now the 480s are faster and cheaper.
    As far as how the 1060 will perform in Black Desert, you should be hovering around 60 fps at 1080p with max settings. My previous card that has a similar performance level was about that.
    Thank you all for your input. I really do appreciate it.