Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online - Why I'm Playing Again In 2017

Comments

• G3NexisG3Nexis Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Tried to play BDO again yesterday.
    - Logged in the game and started going through my inventory and bank.
    - Noticed a piece of boss armor that I had got just before I quit the game which I never upgraded.
    - Remembered what an absolute pain and disappointment the item upgrade system is in BDO
    - Uninstalled the game :(

Honestly BDO for me was one of the best and most fun MMO's to hit the market in years. I invested so much time into the game and enjoyed every aspect of it EXCEPT the item progression. Being punished a majority of the time for trying to better your character was so frustrating. Looking back I quit when the whole "P2W" thing happened but I think in reality I really quit because of the gear system.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Aori said:
    I like Peon, though, no idea how he is making 20-30m per hour.
    Because he has a wizard with huuuge AoE, Node lvl 10 and S knowledge for all the mobs on his farming spot. This is what he said ;)
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

- Remembered what an absolute pain and disappointment the item upgrade system is in BDO

Same but now im just taking my time and WONT upgrade gear, I just buy it from the AH!

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I'm liking the changes, but I have to ask before I contemplate returning:

1. Have any changes been made to make the game less solo-oriented?

There was hardly a reason to call BDO a MMO while I was playing because I spent 99% of my time playing alone. Even with a guild and such, the game seems to discourage group play. Are there more group activities now, or is it still solo till the end?

2. How is PvP? Does it happen a lot more frequently? Or is it the same clusterfuck that was the "Red Battlefield" or whatever it was called?

I was under the impression that BDO was a PvP game but I spent 100% of my time PvEing. And when I finally COULD PvP, I couldnt find anyone who wanted to. Has Node Wars made PvP more active?
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

There was hardly a reason to call BDO a MMO while I was playing because I spent 99% of my time playing alone. Even with a guild and such, the game seems to discourage group play. Are there more group activities now, or is it still solo till the end?

2. How is PvP? Does it happen a lot more frequently? Or is it the same clusterfuck that was the "Red Battlefield" or whatever it was called?

I was under the impression that BDO was a PvP game but I spent 100% of my time PvEing. And when I finally COULD PvP, I couldnt find anyone who wanted to. Has Node Wars made PvP more active?
    1) No

2) No. They added War Nodes but it's pretty much it.

But by your standards no modern MMORPG should be classified as a MMORPG these days as they are mostly focusing on Solo play.
    I invite you to find a modern MMORPG where you don't spend 90% of the time doing Solo content.
    That's why Pre-WoW games were so much better.

But that's what we got at the moment, I am waiting for more than 10 years for a real MMORPG to actually come out (Pantheon maybe?), meanwhile I 'll play whatever is available, and BDO is one of the best options at the moment.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    Lol so a buddy of mine also "came back" - his first comment was - "why does everything take SO long in this game"... 

I just laughed.

Yeah he didn't last a day - but he is a LoL player at heart, so he sort of just wants to get in and out of the action ASAP.

Not really sure why he ever bought BDO.

MMO's and MOBAs are such different genres, its kind of predictable that a MOBA player would hit the 'wall' that is present in MMO's and not in MOBA's, its much like the wall that players new to sandbox games hit when they are only used to themepark games that is encountered when first jumping into Eve Online.
    MMO's are not quick match lobby based games. :o
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited January 2017
    For a second I thought the title was, "Why Am I Playing Again In 2017." :D
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Dragnelus said:
    Pff I wanna see the new expansion but dont got  boat lol isnt there another way to get there? Like npc boat or something. And do you really need the shark outfit to explore!
    There are ferries that lead there, yep.
    You need to take one to Lema island, and from there, take another one to Port Ratt.
    It's a loooong trip though.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

1) Not really. It's still either scroll groups (which have Awakened versions now) and grind groups. The dungeons they did add, aren't worth doing.

2) PvP tends to happen with the Node wars. There are plenty of big guilds that take part in them several times a week. Outside of that, things are the same. The game wasn't made to be a ganker's paradise, unlike so many sandbox titles out there. Other than that, people tend to wander to the arenas outside the city to duel.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Ill never play a game again with this heavy RNG ^^
    RNG is never fair, you know ^^
    Dragnelus said:
    Pff I wanna see the new expansion but dont got  boat lol isnt there another way to get there? Like npc boat or something. And do you really need the shark outfit to explore!
    There are ferries that lead there, yep.
    You need to take one to Lema island, and from there, take another one to Port Ratt.
    It's a loooong trip though.
    hehe thnx! 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    fearu said:
    It's still a money-grubbing heap of shit. And I'm not talking about p2w.
    Then what are you talking about?

I may give it another shot.  I don't care for the mob loot, the armor system and the PvE in general is sub par.  I do love the life skills and virtual world aspects through.  I also enjoy the combat system.

It is odd that it took people this long to figure out that you don't have to rush to anything in this game.  Playing it non competitively makes the game 10x more enjoyable.  Many people told people this over and over on these forums but they refused to listen and now they are coming to that realization themselves, sigh.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Mardukk said:
    It is odd that it took people this long to figure out that you don't have to rush to anything in this game.  Playing it non competitively makes the game 10x more enjoyable.  Many people told people this over and over on these forums but they refused to listen and now they are coming to that realization themselves, sigh.
    Subtlely pushing a player to rush in a game is one of the primary rat pellet techniques MMORPGs use heavily.
    Aah, thank you everyone for the responses. I wont be coming back then. Shame, I feel like this game has a lot of potential. I could definitely fall in love with it, but the major aspects aren't my cup of tea. Guess it back to RPGs and MOBAs for now.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    ewww... MOBAs
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Still an economy sim with a little grinding on the side, nope.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Jeleena said:
    exile01 said:
    somone must have paid that guy to advertize this garbo while 2x event is running. This is not even a MMO, its a solo grinder with pretty graphics.
    *Someone likes a game I dont like, he must have been paid to play it*  :o
    Sure. But suddenly in january i see those stupid videos "why im back to bdo" constantly. Someting is smelly. 
    I think you're confusing it with EVE. xD

Grinding is what most people do on BDO, the economy sim part would be secondary. While on EVE it's the other way around lol.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Grinding is what most people do on BDO, the economy sim part would be secondary. While on EVE it's the other way around lol.
    BDO has no economy. In an effort to control RMT and remove the optic of P2W, it's regulated and conditioned to the point that it might as well be an NPC economy. I haven't abused them and have no intention of blurting them out but it's so full of exploits it amazes me the game works at all at some levels.
    Went sailing to pirate Island, bought a ship lic for 1.6mil cba making it myself! Was awesome, pirates went smooth with 160 dp. Now gonna do some quests for contri points so I can connect nodes far and sell those coins from pirate island for alot!

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Aori said:
    free2play said:

BDO has no economy. In an effort to control RMT and remove the optic of P2W, it's regulated and conditioned to the point that it might as well be an NPC economy. I haven't abused them and have no intention of blurting them out but it's so full of exploits it amazes me the game works at all at some levels.
    Not true, setting up an economic empire is no easy task, watching the flow of the market is pretty important if you want to make the most of it. Knowing what items, crafts, mats are worth the most for your workers, what workers are the best, rolling workers for bonus' if you really wanna do it. Knowing when to sell, when not to sell to maximize profit. Yada yada.
    Pretty sure that falls under the "NPC economy" that he mentioned.
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    exile01 said:
    somone must have paid that guy to advertize this garbo while 2x event is running. This is not even a MMO, its a solo grinder with pretty graphics.
    this. always when i am playing i have the feeling i am playing a single player console game. it would be a good console game though.
    SaunZ said:
    ewww... MOBAs
    To each their own, friend.
  • ZdarcZdarc Member UncommonPosts: 23
    When did they change the level you can be attacked to Level 50? I've tried to find info on that and can't find anything except what's in this topic. Maybe I'm blind but I can't find anything on the BDO site.

I had a level 53 when I left and back then you could be attacked after level 45 (as a top ranked fisher at the time I was attacked a lot after 45). The level 50 quest did jack all except allow you to level past 49.

If this has changed and I can create a PvE alt I might take a 2nd look as I did enjoy the life skills in this game.

Yes, I want to sit at 49 and life skill. Feel free to "automatic dismiss" me.  :p
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2017
    Zdarc said:
    When did they change the level you can be attacked to Level 50? I've tried to find info on that and can't find anything except what's in this topic. Maybe I'm blind but I can't find anything on the BDO site.

I had a level 53 when I left and back then you could be attacked after level 45 (as a top ranked fisher at the time I was attacked a lot after 45). The level 50 quest did jack all except allow you to level past 49.

If this has changed and I can create a PvE alt I might take a 2nd look as I did enjoy the life skills in this game.

Yes, I want to sit at 49 and life skill. Feel free to "automatic dismiss" me.  :p
    It was changed last November/December. That same old quest scroll actually works as the text says now.

Edit. Here you go. November 16th Patch Notes
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED