Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What percentage of WoW's success you believe is because of Warcraft RTS?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
We all know WoW is the most successful sub based MMORPG/MMO in the west.

But for me, I didnt play Warcraft RTS until after WoW. WoW lore made me interested in learning about these other characters in the story. 

I wonder how many others, that were part of the large WoW support, also never played Warcraft RTS.

What percentage of WoW's success you believe is because of Warcraft RTS?

If not the Warcraft RTS popularity, what about WoW brought in the success compared to other games that came before WoW, during WoW launch window, and far after?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• myxaplixmyxaplix Member UncommonPosts: 41
    When WOW first came out the Warcraft RTS had some influence. Now I doubt 10% of the active base even know there was an RTS.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Very very little, completely different audience.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2017
    I'd say people knew more of the Diablo series vs the Warcraft series since everyone and their mother was playing D2 before WoW was even thought of. The only reason I didn't jump on WoW when it first came out even though D2 was a big part of my life was because I was playing FFXI and knew nothing about Warcraft other than it was by the same dudes that made D2. Plus FFXI was legitly hard at the time and when you cleared stuff like level caps or got really rare drops, it kept you even more invested in the game.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Though I don't play WoW, when it was first announced I was interested because of the RTS. I think because of the success with the rts, the lore and the reputation of Bliz, you had a huge amount of buzz and it was just a snowball effect from then on out. Blizzard are geniuses with the marketed which is something most if not all MMOs at that time and before severely lacked. 
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Directly, I would say very little, as WoW was a good (great?) game in it's own right, and while the name recognition would have helped with some initial sales, once world of mouth spread (as it did) WoW would have been just as successfully even if no one have heard of Warcraft before.

Indirectly, I would say quite a lot, as one of the major strengths of WoW was (and still is) the lore that was built-up by the RTS games (and other sources) over many years. If they had started with an new IP, even with the the same gameplay mechanics, they could not have made the world feel as deep, rich, and historied as it did and players would not have been as excited for major characters such as Illidan and Arthas.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    The fact that people think the Warcraft series did not influence World of Warcraft's initial sales is mind-boggling.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Never heard of the RTS until now.  Learn something new everyday.  Played the Diablo series and WoW when it first came out, and still play it, off and on.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I remember it all like it was yesterday.
    Personally i believe it all started with Battle.net,continued with their kids and friends and a cult was formed.

I could write a novel of all the times i have heard people go fanatic over Blizzard with absolutely no logical sense what so ever.Just 2-3 days ago,well night watching  a Twitch streamer.he said "i just love Blizzard games,i'll buy every game they release".So even if it is complete crap,he will buy their games,so when i see stuff like that,i remember it and it reminds me of how Blizzard is popular for all the wrong reasons.

I have seen top streamers like SJow like Reynad ,straight up say FK Blizzard, i hate Blizzard and yet keep on playing their games religiously."popularity" it makes streamers money and like an infectious disease it grows that virus out of proportion.I still remember standing in line at EB games ,can't remeber what game i was buying,but it was the young boy ,maybe 10 ,talking to the clerk that stood out.Clerk asked im "so you like Wow eh?",you know what his response was?He said "idk me and my friends are buying it because all the kids at school are  playing it".

So point is,don't go trying to figure out Blizzard's success because there is a long lsit of reasons and almsot nonoe of them have anything to do with quality game design,not "polish"not creatvity,Wow is even short on game ideas other games have,so yeah,don't try to make sense of it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    People who played WC3 on battle.net brought up WoW coming out all the time but how many of them actually played it's hard to say because they are two different types of games. WC3 was BTP and for me was the most bang for the buck I ever got out of a BTP game.

My first guilds during vanilla on Proudmoore were all ex-EQ players and my guild on Blackrock were mostly all ex-Jumpgate players.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    For me, as brought up, its because of the lore, story and immersion.

Take EQ2 that was its "big" competitor. Both released about same time. When I tried EQ2, none of the races are fleshed out at all. Its very hard to find story. The world itself isn't that immersive either compared to Warcraft's world. The problem with EQ2 I find is there isn't really an overarching story like in WoW, so its kinda mindless roaming around. If there is one, they DEFINITELY don't do it as good as WoW, cause I got to endgame and if EQ2 actually has in-depth lore, they sure did a crappy job at showing it to people.

It wasn't just the lore, story and immersion either. It was how beautiful the world itself was, and because of the graphics style it went with...is STILL beautiful.

Look at EQ2 today, it was a beautiful duckling (considering time it was released, looked fine for that time period of MMOs) and turned into a fugly ass disgusting duck that is mutated and can barely walk. WoW started off as a cute duck, EVERYONE (mostly) liked the cute duck (meaning everyone could play WoW even on a bad PC)...and now today is a beautiful grown duck. Because of the graphics style WoW chose, it will look great even years from now.

It wasn't just the graphics and art style either. It was (ignoring the overpopulated launch no one expected and the issues that caused)...for years before WoW games released buggy, incomplete and terrible. WoW came out, and while had some bugs/issues, it was so smooth, stable and felt VERY polished. Of course the overpopulated launch caused issues, but every MMO company wants THAT to happen.

There wasn't a single MMO before WoW that launched with as much polish. Name me one with more polish launched, and WoW was far more polished at launch. Say otherwise, than prove it. WoW was for years nicknamed the king of polish and how all future MMOs should be at launch.

But it wasn't just the polish either. The game was just pure fun. There was underwater combat...AT LAUNCH. You could swim underwater, and the "world" beneath the land was beautiful. GW2 does good underwater combat, but WoW was only one before GW2 that did the best swimming, and underwater combat.

In fact, when a NEW mmo does NOT have underwater swimming, I log off and go "fuck that archaic shit. Did they learn nothing from WoW?" And never play it again.

My first memory was Fileplanet beta for WoW. I made a troll (started in orc area at the time), it was a beautiful area. But what sold me on WoW, was running and then swimming to Sen'Jin...the most beautiful area I ever saw in an MMO...going underwater (and I was like "holy shit you can fuckin' swim underwater.) that was my exact words, and then I could do COMBAT underwater and ("okay, I'm sold. This is the game. Am I dreaming? IS THIS A FUCKIN DREAM) again my exact words and I said bouth out loud...and the underwater was beautiful.

I got off beta right at that moment, knowing WoW was THE game, waited for WoW launch, played (and still play) many years later. Of course I play other MMOs now and then, and other games. 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I'm sure many play Wow because they played Blizzard other game diablo or starcraft.

Brand loyalty.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited January 2017
    Warcraft RTS had millions of fans so did other Blizzard titles, the world of warcraft had a rich lore even before WoW so yeah the RTS had a big influence.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    It has a lot, WOW was not an instant success it took nearly a year to really kick in. In those days mmo's were a niche market with EQ leading the way. 

I was in EQ2 and WOW beta which had no nda. Anyone could go to the site and watch vids but you could not post unless you were in the beta. 

The battle. Net players really didn't get WOW or mmo's but of course that all changed imo when Burning Legion introduced instance PVP. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The Warcraft RTS was a massive success, and had millions of loyal fans. Every Warcraft player would have known about the upcoming Warcraft MMO, even if they didn't really know what an MMORPG was in those days.

That was the foundation of WoW's success: they converted millions of players from their RTS into the MMORPG genre. Blizzard killed the RTS as soon as they had all those players paying a monthly sub for WoW. They never looked back...
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    Warcraft 3 was a huge success, and indeed influenced the initial WoW success.
    But I believe Diablo influenced its success even more, in fact I would say that WoW initial fan-base was made mostly by Diablo players (WoW killed Diablo 3 production and fans were starving for a new RPG).
    Most of Warcraft fans didn't actually get WoW, as Warcraft 3 was essentially a pure Strategy game while WoW was an RPG.

One thing I can say though it's that in 2004 Blizzard was the "cool" Company and had a huge following because of its games (Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo), so it wasn't difficult for WoW to become an instant success (the fact that WoW was actually good helped player retention).

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited January 2017
    I played all the RTS's prior to the WoW's release. I was looking forward to the Warcraft point and click adventure game. However it got canned.

Warcraft had a huge following. Starcraft was the better RTS though. =)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    edited January 2017
    I don't think Warcraft 3 had any real influence on the success of WoW, instead i think it was the Blizzard name itself that did it, they had after all made a number of phenomenal games at that time so there was probably a huge amount of interest in any game they released. :o
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Blizzard actually released some patches/updates to Warcraft 3 that somewhat introduced people to the MMO.  This is where characters like Rexxar, the panda, the troll guy, etc., actually originated, as I recall.

It took place in Durotar region, where you could actually adventure around, with Rexxar and friends, helping Thrall and them establish the region as Orgrimmar.

Anyway, the point is that WC3, very directly, built up WoW.

I believe WoW would have been a successful game, regardless, due to how fluid and polished it was, but it never would have come close to the massive population it acquired without the previous installments and huge brand loyalty they had already earned.
  • GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66
    World of Warcraft was my first MMORPG and the main reason I gave it a try back then was exactly that, it was a game set in Warcraft universe, which I was very familiar with, having played all three Warcrafts before. The names  Everquest or Ultima Online were unknown for me at that time, I only heard of them many years later, when I started searching for other MMORPGs to play.

However it was only part of the reason that made it succesful for me, among other reasons was that I found the game very enjoyable and it was something new for me. You could say earlier Warcraft games was 100% reason I gave WoW a try but why it was success for me was combination of many factors.

I could only guess how many others like me tried WoW and stayed.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    The biggest single thing, imo, was the beta.

Now, especially when the beta launched, the Blizzard name, Warcraft, Diablo no doubt got people attention and got them to try it. As the beta ran however it became a force in its own right.

It ran for c. 9 months in the US with the EU beta starting a few months later and running beyond the US launch. It was slick and it started to be talked about. A lot. Discussions about rest experience say when it was added; the art style; how it compared to other games - not just Warcraft but mmorpgs and other games as well.

Which is also, imo, why WoW survived the day 1 meltdown; people knew by then that there was a game.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    Blizzard influenced its own success. Say what you will about the company, or where you think they're going now...  But you have one of the most well-known PC gaming companies in the WORLD. Not only did they bring World of Warcraft out after the excellent Warcraft 3 and its expansion, but Diablo 2, and in no small part, Starcraft plus Broodwar.

Blizzard is well known for high quality, well-designed games that people played and continue to play even 10+ years after their launch. There are very few game companies that can claim the same thing. Basically, Blizzard is a company that knows exactly what they're doing. I don't enjoy World of Warcraft anymore and even though I purchased Overwatch I don't much like that game either and have stopped playing it too. But you know what? They're solid games and they're the quality I'd expect from Blizzard. Personally if somebody told me Blizzard put out a new game I'd at least give it a look because I know it's going to be a quality experience.
    I like to complain about games.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Of the initial popularity I'd say at least 10%. Most people I knew at the time, especially those who liked fantasy things, had or played the RTS. Not WC2 or 3 as much as the original. Even if they didn't play the game the name was recognizable.

From there the rest of the success came from having a good product, injecting it into pop culture (WoW and BBT), and making a decision to lower the ability to play to include the children of the original playerbase. IMO the last point was pivotal in gaining the total success that it has.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Most of WoW's success came from copying the right parts of other games, blizzard having greater financial muscles compared to their competitors and making a game that people could play on low end computers.

It had initial hype but it was nothing compared to what happened a year after launch. That's why warcraft rts is a minor factor when it comes to wow's colossal success.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I had played multiple Blizzard games prior to WOW including both Diablos, Starcraft and the first two RTS games. (never did play WC3, had burned out on the genre by then)

So when I heard Blizz was making a MMORPG I had to try it based on their previous track record.

Funny thing, while I enjoyed WOW at first, my experience in that game along with Starcraft 2 (and Diablo 2 really) now puts Blizz in the camp of Devs I won't buy games from.

Not because they don't make good games, of course they do, but their designs don't mesh with my more eclectic tastes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Asch126 said:
    The fact that people think the Warcraft series did not influence World of Warcraft's initial sales is mind-boggling.
    Well I consider it mind boggling that you think it did.  You clearly do not know the player base of the two games.  The vast majority of first time players in Wow never heard of Warcraft the rts or were completely unfamiliar with it.