Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameplay Exclusive (Part 1 of 2) - Dark and Light Videos - MMORPG.com

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I'm still going to play it, and see if it's good. I wish for the 1000 players they originally aimed for, but if the game's good 60-100 is fine too. Maybe we should start calling these games "Mini-MMOs". MMMO. :P

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

ste2000 said:

Iselin said:

I got to say even though I normally hate survival games the fact that this one is all about spells and has towns with NPCs, quests, etc., is beginning to make me pay attention to it.

Doesn't the small server cap bother you?
    For me it's kinda game breaking.

I was actually quite interested in it, but 60 or even 100 players it's not good enough.
    If it was 1000 I could think about it but right now DnL is off my list.

Full loot pvp in a survival game--low pop only means less people to tolerate.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm still going to play it, and see if it's good. I wish for the 1000 players they originally aimed for, but if the game's good 60-100 is fine too. Maybe we should start calling these games "Mini-MMOs". MMMO. :P
    I like mini-mo better, It has a certain ring to it and rolls off the tongue easier :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited January 2017
    They got Dinos in DnL?!!

Check of item.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:
    Iselin said:
    I got to say even though I normally hate survival games the fact that this one is all about spells and has towns with NPCs, quests, etc., is beginning to make me pay attention to it.

I was actually quite interested in it, but 60 or even 100 players it's not good enough.

Small population kills longevity for me, as after about 2 weeks 50-100 players gets boring.

Also the fact that survival games have rampant cheating, one single cheater on a server of 50-100 people is pretty game breaking.

No thanks.

I don't agree, I think it's gives a chance for everyone to get to know different players, build a community. 

I talking from a PVE angle, I think it will be the PVP'ers that will suffer from what you mention. After all all its going to get pretty boring killing the same players over and over again. 

The PVE community on the PVE servers will really experience an bigger world feel. Them against the world and elements, guilds teaming up to help each other rather than kill each other lol. 

Having a total PVE server is a great move same goes for Conan Exiles. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:
    Iselin said:

Small population kills longevity for me, as after about 2 weeks 50-100 players gets boring.

Also the fact that survival games have rampant cheating, one single cheater on a server of 50-100 people is pretty game breaking.

No thanks.
    2 weeks? How long does it take you to complete a single player game? 2 weeks sounds about right for me if I take my time.

Of course, some of the better ones are very re-playable... hmm, come to think of it, so would D&L on a different type of server especially if you can do your own server with your own rule set.

Not saying I will play it, just thinking out loud here.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552
    So we have been excited to play another version of ARK this whole time?
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    They stated several times that it will initially be a small server size until they test out how many players the servers can handle and gradually up the amount of players per server.

It's nice to finally see some gameplay tho, I wanna see part two!

People keep comparing it to Conan Exiles, here's my take on it from what I have seen from both games:

Conan Exiles= PVP oriented, Melee oriented, survival oriented, siege oriented(Not much magic involved)

Dark And Light= Magic oriented, exploration oriented, building oriented, taming oriented. (PVE servers)

All in all, two entirely different games IMO. I might play them both to switch things up a bit.
    What's with this stupid character customization? Why did they have to steal that from ARK???

I know how it is in them survival games. I usually get chased by sex-starved repressed psychopath anti-social teenage kids on a suspension from school screaming lost-in-translation profanities behind me. Last thing I need is them to have giant heads and comical long legs to turn a pleasant evening of gaming into a freaking traumatizing experience! 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Pice of garbage, this is a reskinned ark survival wich is made by the SAME DEVS of ark survival. Definitly NOT a mmo, not the slightest.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Can we eat our own poo in this game like ark survival

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Vorch21Vorch21 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited January 2017
    Pretty boring skills system for me (no variativity/originality- hm .. seems it's common feature form many MMO).There is gear centric char. progression :( and it,s not about many magic shcools (nature/demonology/temporal magic etc.), many combat styles and stances - just make some staff/sword and do "pew-pew".
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Wow , actual dark at night. Awesome ! Very impressed atm

edited January 2017
    DMKano said:
    What's with this stupid character customization? Why did they have to steal that from ARK???

I know how it is in them survival games. I usually get chased by sex-starved repressed psychopath anti-social teenage kids on a suspension from school screaming lost-in-translation profanities behind me. Last thing I need is them to have giant heads and comical long legs to turn a pleasant evening of gaming into a freaking traumatizing experience! 

Those who want a pleasant evening of gaming stay away from online PvP survival games
    I was fine before the giant head and long legs part. Sorry @Iselin, I shall crawl back to my closet again. Seems I outed myself for no good reason. >.<

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Im pretty shocked by the character movement, the sword animations, 50 player cap, etc. I know things changed somewhere mid stream but as a DnL player this is just disappointment. Nice thing though is it will be easy to stick with black desert!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    It's possible that people are thinking of the community in the wrong way. I met a guy who was part of a larger community that still made Unreal Tournament maps. They had forums, discussed the game and modders would create new maps for them to use.

I don't have any experience with survival games but maybe the "larger community" will be more along the lines of that scenario?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    For me, I'm fine with just 2 players. Going to be playing this with my brother. I just don't like people that I don't know in my game being jackasses.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Problem I see..

in order to capture very powerful creatures you need a team. Unless you have friends starting with you, a low pop of 60 players will make it impossible to try and team up with people to accomplish this.

If people are coming and going it will feel pretty empty and hard to get anything meaningful accomplished.

As much as I was looking forward to this a few months ago, the latest info has really turned me off. Think i'll skip.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:
    Iselin said:

No thanks.
    Add the fact that guilds can dominate a server and kill it off, then move to another server to start work on killing that one off too.  Lots of public servers for Ark have died due to roving guilds just looking to grief and dominate.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Be careful of the promises of "bigger player caps later" !

They said they will try, but that's no guarantee of course. You're not going to get a refund a year later when they "regretfully announce that the player cap will remain at 80 due to performance reasons"...
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Talonsin said:
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:
    Iselin said:

No thanks.
    Add the fact that guilds can dominate a server and kill it off, then move to another server to start work on killing that one off too.  Lots of public servers for Ark have died due to roving guilds just looking to grief and dominate.
    Man, I don't even know if my whole guild could fit on one server.

It's 2017, seriously disappointing that server populations on new "MMOs" have decreased to 1/100th of what we had in EQ1 on dialup!
    --------------------------------------------
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    A clear sign that it is made by Asian devs: Stupid bend over running style. Guess they don't watch sports.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "Though the server player count is down to around 60-100 from the thousand originally planned"

EW.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BK2O1BK2O1 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    NOPE U FAIL TRY AGAIN
  • logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I like the 60-100 players per server. Its nice to find things other players haven't found or been to yet. Also it makes people want to work together more since there is a limit to who could help you when you need it.
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com