Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this MMO going to have a fully open world?

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:

Umm I just circle a quick one around you and watch you insta-die to a huge number of aggro mobs.

Its called training, I used to do it a lot to people that would try to "peel a few off".

You are implying that I am going to stay still and wait to die.
    I know how to ninja mobs from trains, I used to do it in EQ often.

Either way it is going to be fun.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    ste2000 said:
    DMKano said:

really? I guess griefing is back on the menu boys!

Nothing like taking end game open world bosses and bringing them to noob areas for the lulz!

Heck even EQ1 had leashing for some bosses to prevent major griefing - so I am shocked that no mobs in Pantheon leash currently.

I used to grab like half the zone worth of mobs in EQ1 with my bard - and not even kill them - just run them in circles and lol at the chat "where are all the spawns" - good times

Good, in that case I just follow you and kill the mobs chasing you with little effort while you do all the work for me.
    That's called emergent game-play, something I miss in current MMOs.

I guess you forgot about the "first agro" thing, where the first person / group to get agro got the XP from the kill.  I derailed numerous trains in Blackburrow and only got the agro / XP rights once the original group was dead or zoned.  I did all the work, but they got all the XP.

Good luck with your plan to level off of DMKano's mobs.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited January 2017
    Mendel said:
    ste2000 said:
    DMKano said:

Nothing like taking end game open world bosses and bringing them to noob areas for the lulz!

Heck even EQ1 had leashing for some bosses to prevent major griefing - so I am shocked that no mobs in Pantheon leash currently.

I used to grab like half the zone worth of mobs in EQ1 with my bard - and not even kill them - just run them in circles and lol at the chat "where are all the spawns" - good times

Good, in that case I just follow you and kill the mobs chasing you with little effort while you do all the work for me.

I guess you forgot about the "first agro" thing, where the first person / group to get agro got the XP from the kill.  I derailed numerous trains in Blackburrow and only got the agro / XP rights once the original group was dead or zoned.  I did all the work, but they got all the XP.

I don't think that's still a thing in EQ1? I always remembered exp being awarded to whoever did 51% of the damage, no matter who tagged it first.

Maybe you're thinking of EQ2?
    --------------------------------------------
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    Mendel said:
    ste2000 said:

You had to cause some decent damage first to lock the mobs.
    Just aggroing them would not work.

As Wellspring said, maybe you were thinking of EQ2.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Hopefully bards won't be broken fast in Pantheon. Also hope a lot of mobs run as fast as run speed buffs, and those that don't utilize dispels, snares and ranged attacks.

I think after 20 years of MMOs, we can do away with easy kiting and the ability to just outrun mobs. I liked the idea of losing endurance while running in combat. Eventually you slow down and die.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Dullahan said:
    Hopefully bards won't be broken fast in Pantheon. Also hope a lot of mobs run as fast as run speed buffs, and those that don't utilize dispels, snares and ranged attacks.

I think after 20 years of MMOs, we can do away with easy kiting and the ability to just outrun mobs. I liked the idea of losing endurance while running in combat. Eventually you slow down and die.
    Yeah, haha.   AI is pretty dull when you can just y0y0 mobs. You would think they *should* be smarter than that.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    Kilsin said:
    I was speaking more specifically to trash/normal mobs.

These are all things we have considered and there are many ways to stop that happening to named mobs/raid targets/important npcs etc. and we may implement something for certain mobs/areas if we see it becoming a problem but this, along with many other things, will be worked on in much greater detail once we get into testing.

For now, though, you can see us have fun with no leashing in some of our streams ;)
    That's nice!
    I would think that, if you implement different AI for different mobs (calling for help, trying to retreat, etc.), maybe this behavior could also be added into it.

Ex. :  A predator that is used to fighting/hunting alone may not think about anything else than catching his prey, while a "social mob" that is living in pack, close to his living grounds, will probably let go as soon as his terrirory is not in danger anymore,etc. 

And it could even be different based on the type of "role" the mob has.
    Ex.: Hunter/Explorer kind would pursue further, while "guards" would stay with the lord/building/terrirory they are tasked to defend, or the healer type would pursue as long as there is another mob pursuing with it (to heal it), and when it's not the case, they would fall back to their home,etc. 

Think there is a lot of fun to be had with that..you could even push it further by having different hidden "AI attribute" impact how one would react. So maybe an "angry" guard would not think about it twice and would pursue to the end of the world, while a "coward" hunter would not go further than a few steps past his home boundaries. This is probably a little too much work though (not sure how easy it is to have a single mob type have random stats,etc.), but anyways.. just "thinking out loud" I guess!

Some good ideas, I like your thinking :)
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Kilsin said:
    Pantheon is a zone based game, just like EQ zones and VG chunks although it does look seamless and is almost impossible to find the zone line at first glance but this decision was made very early on and would be extremely time-consuming and resource intensive to change, so it is not something we are considering at this time.

There are many benefits to having large immersive zones and being able to control the performance and detail in them more closely is one large benefit. Our loading screens are relatively quick and will have lore friendly images and text and by doing it this way we can avoid using instancing as much as possible, leaving huge open world dungeons and caves to be explored by anyone on the server. :)
    As long as you don't for get "Teaching a snake to kick". 
  • KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    DMKano said:
    Kilsin said:
    DMKano said:
    Kilsin said:
    DMKano said:
    Mylan12 said:
    Zones are fine, without zones how can we have the EQ classic "Train to the Zone" . :p

Mobs in Pantheon will leash just like in Vanguard. Zones are too big in Pantheon for mobs to chase you all the way to zone lines.

So no Train to Zone in Pantheon
    Our mobs don't leash currently and I have not heard of any plans to start making them leash, so I am not sure where you got this information from.

Was especially fun in North Ro 

This is probably the best news ever - as with the amount of trolling in games, no recent game has had the balls to let mobs not leash.

I see epic things from no-leash alone ;) - I wonder what happens when you grab 200+ mobs and bring them all to one place - this still causes severe lag in EQ1 today heh
    I was speaking more specifically to trash/normal mobs.

These are all things we have considered and there are many ways to stop that happening to named mobs/raid targets/important npcs etc. and we may implement something for certain mobs/areas if we see it becoming a problem but this, along with many other things, will be worked on in much greater detail once we get into testing.

For now, though, you can see us have fun with no leashing in some of our streams ;)

So you do have leashing for bosses and special NPCs. :(

Oh well - i guess we can still mass swarm trash, which is better than nothing.
    No, as I said, currently no leashing for any mob, they all run the same speed as you and cannot be kited properly or leashed (the system is still a WIP and by no means finished) but I was brief in my reply and meant that we had no plans for making trash/normal mobs leash, named mobs/important quest npcs/guards etc. are a different story and may have abilities or AI behaviours to stop them being dragged around but we will have to wait and see what data testing provides us with as we have a few other tricks up our sleeve too.

Even changing the speed of some mobs like wolves, stops kiting and dragging mobs into other areas as you would be dead or in serious need of help before you got that far if you were not able to kill it yourself.

Implementing a mix of no leash, summon (for some named/raid mobs), AI behaviour, different speeds and abilities will help mix the game up and still allow a lot of freedom without letting important mobs get abused.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Kilsin said:
    No, as I said, currently no leashing for any mob, they all run the same speed as you and cannot be kited properly or leashed (the system is still a WIP and by no means finished) but I was brief in my reply and meant that we had no plans for making trash/normal mobs leash, named mobs/important quest npcs/guards etc. are a different story and may have abilities or AI behaviours to stop them being dragged around but we will have to wait and see what data testing provides us with as we have a few other tricks up our sleeve too.

Even changing the speed of some mobs like wolves, stops kiting and dragging mobs into other areas as you would be dead or in serious need of help before you got that far if you were not able to kill it yourself.

Implementing a mix of no leash, summon (for some named/raid mobs), AI behaviour, different speeds and abilities will help mix the game up and still allow a lot of freedom without letting important mobs get abused.
    Just, please, avoid anything like the "Daze" mechanic from WoW.  That was one of the worst designs ever.  It was just pure annoyance in every sense of the word.  Every creature in the world dazing you constantly drove me insane.

I wouldn't mind seeing some creature-specific punishments for running/kiting though.  For instance, a pack of wolves being able to knock you down or "grab" onto your legs(that'd make for a cool animation) and keep you in place if you expose your flank.
    But, if every creature in the world constantly smothered you, it'd just be an irritation.

Something that makes sense and doesn't happen to you incessantly, is what I'm pointing towards.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2017
    WellzyC said:

You know what I wish MMos did more?

Remember Asheron's Call portaling?    The game was seamless open word, but you had to zone into dungeons. however, instead of a loading screen, you get this really cool portal effect (think of the show sliders) as you were zoning. Your character would phase out with a particle effect, then a tube portal scene as your computer loaded the dungeon, and materialize on the other side.

Was  really immersive, felt like you were beamin in!  It was just a way to hide a loading screen, but it never took you out of the game. Very creative.

They did that in Unreal Tournament,it is a portal trigger.The engine has several built in type portals,some you can actually see a bit of where you are about to warp  to while some you can't.
    As to loading screens,i don't know why everyone is in a fuss over them,there is ALWAYS loading and imo i prefer it.

My fave game i still play to this day has zones/loading screens,it actually gives a zone definition as well it is the one i guess carebear implementation i like,it gives me the chance to zone away from that so called TRAIN or if i bit off more than i can chew.
    After all,we don't have any realistic way to escape mobs in games,so a zone is our sort of way to mimic escape.

Having played games with trains,i can say it never bothered me,it only became a problem when RMT were allowed to run rampant and any real successful game will have rmt trying to ruin everything.
    RMT would actually be one of my biggest concern,craft/botting ,BOSS botting,buying rares with rmt it all adds up to a sooner than alter busted economy and ruins the fun for legit players.

The training of mobs then logout can easily be fixed via a simple short sub program.If the mob responsible was a link/add then minimal xp loss/penalties ,but if you engaged the mob yourself,i would love to see harsh penalties,like 25% of that level but only around 5% and perhaps mimic injury with 50% reduced stats for 5-10 minutes for links/aggro.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Lokero said:
    Kilsin said:

Just, please, avoid anything like the "Daze" mechanic from WoW.  That was one of the worst designs ever.  It was just pure annoyance in every sense of the word.  Every creature in the world dazing you constantly drove me insane.

I wouldn't mind seeing some creature-specific punishments for running/kiting though.  For instance, a pack of wolves being able to knock you down or "grab" onto your legs(that'd make for a cool animation) and keep you in place if you expose your flank.
    But, if every creature in the world constantly smothered you, it'd just be an irritation.

Something that makes sense and doesn't happen to you incessantly, is what I'm pointing towards.
    That was sort of borrowed from EQ. Didn't mobs daze you when attacking you from behind? Who doesn't remember getting bashed to death while running from mobs in EQ? When your back was turned, no dodge, parry or anything else, so it was pretty hard to flee - just how it should be.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    DMKano said:
    Kilsin said:
    DMKano said:
    Mylan12 said:
    Zones are fine, without zones how can we have the EQ classic "Train to the Zone" . :p

Mobs in Pantheon will leash just like in Vanguard. Zones are too big in Pantheon for mobs to chase you all the way to zone lines.

Our mobs don't leash currently and I have not heard of any plans to start making them leash, so I am not sure where you got this information from.

This is probably the best news ever - as with the amount of trolling in games, no recent game has had the balls to let mobs not leash.

I see epic things from no-leash alone ;) - I wonder what happens when you grab 200+ mobs and bring them all to one place - this still causes severe lag in EQ1 today heh
    that's why i prefer to play on pvp :)

by the way, do you ever get tired of embarrassing yourself here? lol
    Dullahan said:
    That was sort of borrowed from EQ. Didn't mobs daze you when attacking you from behind? Who doesn't remember getting bashed to death while running from mobs in EQ? When your back was turned, no dodge, parry or anything else, so it was pretty hard to flee - just how it should be.
    Iirc, you are thinking simply of the Bash skill, which would stun you.  Regular attacks from behind did nothing.  Bash skill stunned you, in general, though.  Front/back only mattered on Ogres, I believe(who had that frontal stun immunity). 
    I'm not sure if there was an increased chance of stuns from bash when they were behind or not...

You could definitely get stunned and killed, but it was nowhere near as obnoxious as Daze just randomly appearing(and dismounting you, etc.) every time you got attacked by something.

Bash was part of the core mechanics of combat, not something that was put in there just for the sole purpose of hindering you everywhere you went.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    baphamet said:
    DMKano said:
    Kilsin said:
    DMKano said:
    Mylan12 said:

that's why i prefer to play on pvp :)

by the way, do you ever get tired of embarrassing yourself here? lol

I hope he doesn't it would spoil me laughing at every thread/post he makes. 

Even in this thread he is trying to school one of the devs lol, freaking armchair dev at its worst. 

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Mendel said:
    ste2000 said:
    DMKano said:

I guess you forgot about the "first agro" thing, where the first person / group to get agro got the XP from the kill.  I derailed numerous trains in Blackburrow and only got the agro / XP rights once the original group was dead or zoned.
    First agro thing was wow not eq.  In eq you had "who did more damage got the xp".
    Lokero said:
    Dullahan said:
    Iirc, you are thinking simply of the Bash skill, which would stun you.  Regular attacks from behind did nothing.  Bash skill stunned you, in general, though.  Front/back only mattered on Ogres, I believe(who had that frontal stun immunity). 
    I'm not sure if there was an increased chance of stuns from bash when they were behind or not...

You could definitely get stunned and killed, but it was nowhere near as obnoxious as Daze just randomly appearing(and dismounting you, etc.) every time you got attacked by something.

Bash was part of the core mechanics of combat, not something that was put in there just for the sole purpose of hindering you everywhere you went.
    Yeah, I know it was just bash in EQ. Both kept you from fleeing. I guess any hit stunning you is a little excessive, but I actually like things that keep you from easily fleeing.

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Dullahan said:
    Lokero said:
    Dullahan said:

Yeah, I know it was just bash in EQ. Both kept you from fleeing. I guess any hit stunning you is a little excessive, but I actually like things that keep you from easily fleeing.
    Still wouldn't kill a bard assuming they didn't panic :)
    Scott23 said:
    Dullahan said:
    Lokero said:
    Dullahan said:

Yeah, because soon as Selo's kicked in, he would appear 50 feet away. Outside at least. Bard speed was broken in EQ. :frown:

• G3NexisG3Nexis Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I really hope Pantheon will have the ability to split pull in groups / raids like EQ1 and Vanguard did. My best memories in EQ1 / Vanguard split pulling with my monk during raids. 
  • G3NexisG3Nexis Member UncommonPosts: 84
    DMKano said:

Just look for whatever shard Brotherhood of the Spider plays on ;)
    I was good friends with Thundar & Nycah in EQ1 (Both were in Brotherhood of the Spider) 

Later joined up with them in FF11 / Vanguard / Rift / FF14 / Many other games.

Will most likely see you in Pantheon   :)
    DMKano said:
    Dullahan said:
    Scott23 said:
    Dullahan said:
    Lokero said:
    Dullahan said:

Yeah, because soon as Selo's kicked in, he would appear 50 feet away. Outside at least. Bard speed was broken in EQ. :frown:

Bard speed was perfect in EQ - what truly broke the game was Cleric's "complete heal" spell - the devs even said (in hindsight) that's one thing they should have left out of the game, as so many mechanics had to be put into place to compensate for that one spell.
    While bard speed didn't have as much of an impact on gameplay as CH, being able to run faster than a sports car was pretty broken. It trivialized PvE in outdoor areas allowing mass kiting which later led to a source of powerleveling. Not to even mention the ramifications in PvP.

All around, it was broken once you had top percussion mods for Selo's.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    edited January 2017
    You know maybe 3 years ago I would have demanded it's open world.  But after playing endless open world games over the last 3 years I'm really quite ok with it not being so.  I'm talking Witcher 3 and the plethora of other franchises that have gone open world.  Open world fatigue is real, at least for me
  • LoudWisperLoudWisper Member UncommonPosts: 76
    DMKano said:
    You know maybe 3 years ago I would have demanded it's open world.  But after playing endless open world games over the last 3 years I'm really quite ok with it not being so.  I'm talking Witcher 3 and the plethora of other franchises that have gone open world.  Open world fatigue is real, at least for me
    I don't mind either way.

If the base *gameplay* is compelling - the game could be 100% open world, and seamless without a single instance 

OR

could have 10,000 instances and lots of loading screens 

And both would be fine.

In the end - gameplay trumps all for me, so it's really not that big a deal at all - I played EQ1 for 7+ years and was a blast. 

I played Vanguard for nearly 2 years - and having a slight stutter near chunk lines - no problem.

Also play BDO and AA that are 100% seamless - again it all works when you like the base gameplay.

Just my 2c - I get that some have a very strong preference as far as open world or not.
    10000 loading screens ok?  did you ever play half life 2  =)  
    DMKano said:

Having named mobs/bosses summon you is IMO a cheap mechanic, once EQ1 introduced mob that summoned (as anti-kiting) it felt really lame to me. Was never a fan of summoning mechanic by bosses.

Also boss summoning is effectively very much "leashing" except it's players that get leashed - but the end result is the same, as it's prevents dragging the mobs around. But either way - I think preventing bosses from being dragged all over the map is a good idea, I just hope it's done via AI and not summoning. I get WHY it was done, I just hope in Pantheon you can come up with a better method that's not so cheap
    I couldn't agree more on this.  I always despised the summoning mechanic and found it horribly conceived. 

I understand why they added, back then, but with all the modern knowledge and experience developers have now, I hope they avoid dragging, etc., in another way.