Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gaming Hardware market has breached the $30 billion mark for the first time

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    This is interesting.

I wonder what all is included in this number.

I've heard that global PC sales are around a $200B/yr industry, and that it's slowly declining. Now that's just boxed PCs/laptops for the most part, that doesn't include the periperals and aftermarket sales (add-on monitors, GPUs, external devices, etc). It also doesn't include sales of components that go into DIY built computers.

I've always considered "gaming" a niche of the overall PC segment. I didn't think that number is all that big. But $30B has to come from somewhere. If it includes basically anything labeled "Gamer" - so all the $150 mice, the $200 keyboards, the $900 GSync monitors, the $1200 Titan video cards, then yeah, I guess I can believe that, because that encompasses a whole lot more than just the PC part of that equation, and the number of PCs would still be relatively small (but obviously with a very high profit margin).
  • CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    DMKano said:
    Yep saw this on reddit a few days ago. 
    So are we supposed to contact you prior to making threads to ensure the topic is something you haven't  read on Reddit a few days ago? Not really sure the point of your comment...
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    This is very good news for PC owners as it means the market for these items will receive even more innovations and investment and we needn't worry about the lagging of the PC market in the immediate future. I want more gadgets to help me play acton games and something to reduce my motion sickness in FPS......I can dream can't I?
    Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2017
    Take that console fans... ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Kyleran said:
    Hey, I like PCs and consoles.  Some games I could not imagine playing on a console, and others I could not see myself playing on a PC.  There really don't seem to be many that are I-could-play-this-on-one-or-the-other for me.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    So there's two things happening:

1) People who are saying "PC market is dying" are right.

2) People who are saying "PC gaming is thriving" are right.

The PC market for regular home computer use is shrinking for sure. But eSports are just getting started and PC has quite a number of highly visible and very popular eSport titles. The PC gaming market is going to grow as eSports continue to gain popularity, aka we ain't seen nothing yet. The PC for home use market is going to all but vanish, there's almost no need for home computers at this point, at least not for most of the populace.

Workstations will remain needed for heavy lifting computing depending on your field of work and Gaming hardware will grow as eSports become even more mainstream.
    edited January 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Wow somebody a little desperate?  Pretty sure this news will have zero impact on every  single person who owns a console...hey at least it gave you a little tingle up your leg this morning I guess.

I will never understand those who are so desperate to bash consoles, a specific console or pcs.  We are all gamers to act like you are all high and mighty is pathetic.  I own consoles and a PC and enjoy them equally it's about time those like you grow up and stop giving gamers a bad name. 
    edited January 2017
    Kyleran said:
    It's interesting how mobile gamers are more mature than SOME PC gamers(considering a lot of them are probably kids playing on mom and dads phone).  Mobile gaming took over PC gaming in 2016 you don't see them running around with stupid comments like "take that PC fans". 
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited January 2017
    Kyleran said:
    What exactly should they take, consoles ae thriving lol

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/04/sony-sells-6-2-million-playstation-4s-during-holiday-season/

and since XBox outsold PS4 for a few weeks it isnt far behind

and these are hard numbers, not "analysts" numbers lol, JPR seems to pad numbers, what exactly are "gaming accessories", did they include and which exactly "gaming hardware" they include... ... ...what exactly is "gaming hardware" anyway lol

They have been so misguided is the past that its hilarious, 2014. "the end of consoles" and yet consoles are not slowing down even a bit....turning 2017. lol

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2014/07/14/the-console-war-is-over-the-pc-already-won/#7a1d5f823b15

last year they reported conficting numbers

"only" 5b $ off in their own 2015. reports lol

http://jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report

https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-releases/details/the-cg-market-will-exceed-130-billion-by-2019
    Post edited by Malabooga on
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Yep saw this on reddit a few days ago. 
    So are we supposed to contact you prior to making threads to ensure the topic is something you haven't  read on Reddit a few days ago? Not really sure the point of your comment...

My point was that I saw it several days ago.

That was it - the end.

Not sure why you took it to mean anything more.

Has anyone ever said something like "Hey you heard about Nintendo Switch?"

"Yeah I saw the announcment earlier"

Do they go off on you about how they need to contact you about if you've seen it on reddit and how they dont know what your point was?

Granted we are on an online forum so it's hard to gauge a persons tone.  A normal conversation goes like this. 

Person 1) Hey did you hear the new Star Wars movie title?

Now person 2 can have two responses one is rather rude and one is not I'll let you figure out which is what. 

Option 1) Yeah I heard it last night...and they walk away

or 

Option 2) Yeah I heard it last night...and then have a conversation with person 1 about the title. 
    Torval said:
    Ridelynn said:
    This is interesting.

I wonder what all is included in this number.

I've heard that global PC sales are around a $200B/yr industry, and that it's slowly declining. Now that's just boxed PCs/laptops for the most part, that doesn't include the periperals and aftermarket sales (add-on monitors, GPUs, external devices, etc). It also doesn't include sales of components that go into DIY built computers.

I've always considered "gaming" a niche of the overall PC segment. I didn't think that number is all that big. But $30B has to come from somewhere. If it includes basically anything labeled "Gamer" - so all the $150 mice, the $200 keyboards, the $900 GSync monitors, the $1200 Titan video cards, then yeah, I guess I can believe that, because that encompasses a whole lot more than just the PC part of that equation, and the number of PCs would still be relatively small (but obviously with a very high profit margin).
    There is a lot of gray room for peripherals. Also a lot of higher end hardware is "gaming" hardware but not used for gaming.
    True. I suspect that people who are buying GPUs for cyrptomining and prosumer cad/graphics work are all getting lumped in there, because whatever they bought says "Game" in the title or in a marketing bullet point somewhere. 

That doesn't really affect the article content so much - as it's still "Gaming" oriented hardware, and it's still selling, it just means that PC Gaming by itself isn't necessarily that large, there are other smaller constituents that make it up that aren't necessarily gaming activities.
    edited January 2017
    My take on how this affects consoles: it doesn't. For the people who are buying gaming hardware, cost is not the barrier to entry for a console system. I suspect many ~do~ have both a gaming computer and a console (hell, we had 6 different consoles in this house up until wife finally made me get rid of a few). If a PC gamer doesn't own a console, it's because there's nothing on there they want to play.

If anything it gives life to the argument for a boutique high-end console - that people in the PC Market are pumping a lot of money into high end hardware, and that, given the right trigger, they would do so equally for the console. And that is why we are seeing PS4 Pro and Scorpio, and I expect that to get worse before it gets better, as trends have a tendancy to go way overboard before they correct (or die).
    Torval said:
    We buy both PC and console systems in the house. The rest of the family has moved to light gaming (Pogo, Facebook, etc) or consoles (PS4, WiiU) so I'm the only PC gamer left in the house.

I would say console hardware affects how I'm thinking about PC hardware more than the other way around. With the way my work environment has changed I would rather have a gaming focused appliance and just use tablets, ultrabooks, and light notebooks for everything else. If Sony or Microsoft made a high end version of their console with light PC capabilities (kb/m, browser, facebook, messenger, etc) I would totally go for it.
    It will be interesting to see how the Switch plays into that. It won't do your taxes, but it's more of a handheld than a console.

I'm actually surprised Facebook hasn't popped up on the bigger consoles (beyond just light integration with the ability to post achievements). Probably not due to anything technical - just can't come to the financial arrangement.

Most consoles have had KB/M support and web browser and such since the last generation, but the browser isn't exactly very heavy duty, and you wouldn't want to be doing something like TurboTax or anything on there. PS3 could even hook up to some printers.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kyleran said:
    Wow somebody a little desperate?  Pretty sure this news will have zero impact on every  single person who owns a console...hey at least it gave you a little tingle up your leg this morning I guess.

I will never understand those who are so desperate to bash consoles, a specific console or pcs.  We are all gamers to act like you are all high and mighty is pathetic.  I own consoles and a PC and enjoy them equally it's about time those like you grow up and stop giving gamers a bad name. 
    LOL would it surprise you to know I look down on those who merely play games, especially for "fun?"

Condescending, arrogant, elitist, all labels I revel in. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Malabooga said:
    Kyleran said:
    What exactly should they take, consoles ae thriving lol

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/04/sony-sells-6-2-million-playstation-4s-during-holiday-season/

and since XBox outsold PS4 for a few weeks it isnt far behind

and these are hard numbers, not "analysts" numbers lol, JPR seems to pad numbers, what exactly are "gaming accessories", did they include and which exactly "gaming hardware" they include... ... ...what exactly is "gaming hardware" anyway lol

They have been so misguided is the past that its hilarious, 2014. "the end of consoles" and yet consoles are not slowing down even a bit....turning 2017. lol

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2014/07/14/the-console-war-is-over-the-pc-already-won/#7a1d5f823b15

last year they reported conficting numbers

"only" 5b $ off in their own 2015. reports lol

http://jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report

https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-releases/details/the-cg-market-will-exceed-130-billion-by-2019
    This was my first thought. How does this years estimate compare to previous years.

And then you ponder: well if this year is "right" then last year must have been "wrong". Which instantly undermines ones confidence in the numbers.

Much better, imo, to take away some of the "over arching" observations and even then take them with a hefty dose of caution.