Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's Choice Awards - The Best MMO of 2016 a Awards at MMORPG.com

Comments

• TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    ESO. 

Its love, but its also my rebounce game from 12 years of WoW, meaning it will not be a permanent game to play in the long run. A rebounce game is just that, a game used as hot comfort, when the old game can no longer hold interest.

So I am waiting for the game that will make me forget that I cheated on WoW with ESO.

Need 1 game above all, not all this bouncing between games, jumping between 2 games to fulfill needs that should really just be combined and present in one game.

But till that game happens, ESO is my favorite.

Or maybe WoW is, I love to hate it, that much is for sure. Cant stay away from it either, frankly no idea what I am doing really.

Just need that well thought out new game, that will make me forget that WoW ever existed.

But the vote goes to ESO. The devs on that game show that they care for their players. And I like to play ESO, not because its filled with extraordinary psychological designs that is meant to make me addicted (looking at current WoW). I simply play ESO, because I like to. Its friendly without being blantantly manipulative. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited January 2017
    ste2000 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mitara said:
    Sadly, the title did not say "NEW MMORPG" :/
    Already covered in a previous poll, resulted in BDO being listed against mostly non MMORPGS so it was pretty much no contest.
    Yet BDO is doing pretty well in a more competitive poll being in reaching distance to second place, proving that all the drama around the previous poll was unjustified as BDO seems generally pretty popular regardless of what the detractors might think.

I think what holds BDO back is the lack of a strong end game vision.

It has a PVP component which by many accounts is either imbalanced, P2W,  or ignored by a significant portion of the player base.

It's PVE seems incomplete, with reportedly poor boss mob mechanics, no raiding or large scale PVE encounters.

I think they'll need to focus on improvements in one or both of these areas to remain a viable long term contender once it's no longer the "new" game 

I dont think their current delivery plan of awakenings and graphical relaunches will be enough to hold players long term.

Once the player base realizes their progression leads to no where those driven by it will move on.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    josko9 said:
    ste2000 said:

I don't think people disagreed that BDO is "popular", they just agreed that BDO won that poll due to no competition at all. Let's be honest, 2016 was by far the weakest year for the new MMORPGs (othervise it was a pretty good year for the existing ones).

Read the comments again.
    It was like people wanted the Awards  to be invalidated because they didn't like any of the games on the list and BDO was deemed not worthy to win.
    Truth is that it would have most probably won anyway regardless of the competition, as it looks like only ESO is more popular at the moment.
    I agree, 2016 was a bad year for new MMOs, it was obvious there was no competition, and BDO was a worthy winner,  but some people didn't let it go so easily.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Kyleran said:
    ste2000 said:

It has a PVP component which by many accounts is either imbalanced, P2W,  or ignored by a significant portion of the player base.

It's PVE seems incomplete, with reportedly poor boss mob mechanics, no raiding or large scale PVE encounters.

I totally agree.
    BDO is far from perfect, I am the first to highlight those flaws whenever I got the chance.
    However saying a game sucks because some of its features are below par is not a good way to judge a game.

Generally I can find the selling point of a game even though I don't like it, I wish people could do the same.
    Of course there are games that I think they just suck, because they are bad across the board, but BDO even with all its flaws is not one of them as there are many features that objectively people really like, some of them quite innovative.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Other - EverQuest 1
    It's still the best MMO to date.
    --------------------------------------------
  • sedatedkarmasedatedkarma Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Other - Vanilla WoW
    Happily playing Vanilla and BC WoW, again, since September 2016.

• valoizvaloiz Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I ended playing Archeage 3.0 in 2016 and having fun yet. FFXIV was the rest of the year my main MMO
  • OxkillOxkill Member UncommonPosts: 3
    ESO! Let's go for the third one!
  • deadboogadeadbooga Member CommonPosts: 1
    EVE Online. Everything else is bush league. SWTOR? lol stupid game. I have yet to try ESO but I am definitely looking forward to it.
  • lgehringer79lgehringer79 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Wizard101 very fun and lots to do awesome rewards and new worlds
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    ESO.

And with the content coming this year ESO may win 2017 too. Housing and Vvardenfel and who knows what else. Another huge year.
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Legion despite it's ridiculous balancing nerf/buff/nerf/buff circus. It has been consistently fun.
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Why do I get the feeling that most people here play mmo's all by themselves.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Kyleran said:
    ste2000 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mitara said:
    Already covered in a previous poll, resulted in BDO being listed against mostly non MMORPGS so it was pretty much no contest.
    Yet BDO is doing pretty well in a more competitive poll being in reaching distance to second place, proving that all the drama around the previous poll was unjustified as BDO seems generally pretty popular regardless of what the detractors might think.

I think they'll need to focus on improvements in one or both of these areas to remain a viable long term contender once it's no longer the "new" game 

I dont think their current delivery plan of awakenings and graphical relaunches will be enough to hold players long term.

Once the player base realizes their progression leads to no where those driven by it will move on.
    BDO has a strong game and endgame vision. Just because it's not a standard themepark that doesn't make it wrong. It's a different game but it's designed very purposely with  no intentions to deviate from that plan. You need to realize it's different and that's the point. You're free to not like it, but it's not missing anything.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    What a crappy list. Imho of course.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    LOTRO.

No clue why that would be left out while Rift is listed.
  • DuncanIdDuncanId Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Star Wars: The Old Republic.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited January 2017
    Leiloni said:
    Kyleran said:
    ste2000 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mitara said:

BDO has a strong game and endgame vision. Just because it's not a standard themepark that doesn't make it wrong. It's a different game but it's designed very purposely with  no intentions to deviate from that plan. You need to realize it's different and that's the point. You're free to not like it, but it's not missing anything.
    It would be off topic to do so here but perhaps you can create a thread which shares the long range plan.

Outside of simply "existing" in the game world what sort of progression or achievement are players supporting, through either direct action or in a supporting role?

In both EVE and WOW (on both sides of the spectrum) this is readily apparent, not so much with BDO.

So I'd be interested in knowing the greater vision to see if it is one I could support.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Nanfoodle said:
    SWToR wins hands down for me. Its the most modern MMO that still uses the trinity system. Also unlike most modern MMOs, you can play all content teamed and you are rewarded for doing so. IMO, this game has no equal right now unless you live for low skill twitch games.

SWTOR uses a trinity system?  I don't remember that at all when I played.  Trinity means dedicated tank, healer and dps, you know.  Not just a bunch of guys with a random skills teamed up against high hp mobs like is common in MMOs nowadays.
    Leiloni said:
    Kyleran said:
    ste2000 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mitara said:

BDO has no traditional dungeons at all.  Those have been an endgame staple in MMOs since MMOs existed.  You can say "Well, they're doing something new", but the only thing they replaced it with is mostly meaningless siege war and grinding on mobs. 

You're right though that they have no plans to change.  They don't put in content because the point is not for you to have fun.  The point of BDO is so you get annoyed and buy the remedy for your annoyance in the cash shop.
  • somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
    It's gotta be ESO... they have made huge, positive changes to the game. To be honest, it is the only MMORPG out there that is really worth my time at the moment... even if I'm taking a break from it due to burn out.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's gotta be ESO... they have made huge, positive changes to the game. To be honest, it is the only MMORPG out there that is really worth my time at the moment... even if I'm taking a break from it due to burn out.
    I've been playing it for 3 years and in that time I took 2 breaks from it. Once to play Archeage and then again to play BDO.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2017

Aori said:
    Leiloni said:
    Kyleran said:
    ste2000 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mitara said:

BDO has no traditional dungeons at all.  Those have been an endgame staple in MMOs since MMOs existed.  You can say "Well, they're doing something new", but the only thing they replaced it with is mostly meaningless siege war and grinding on mobs. 

You're right though that they have no plans to change.  They don't put in content because the point is not for you to have fun.  The point of BDO is so you get annoyed and buy the remedy for your annoyance in the cash shop.
    You've never played BDO? If you're annoyed by content of BDO, there is nothing in the cash shop that is going to help you. It isn't that kind of cash shop.

Dungeons that are behind an instance wall are not traditional dungeons to me. BDO fits closer to the traditional dungeon approach, stronger mobs and better loot in an open world area.

The loot is not better.  There are no bosses.  There is no reason to group up for them which is why absolutely nobody does it.

So called "dungeons" in BDO are just badly rewarding grinding areas with high hp mobs.  And nobody does them for good reason.

That's how dungeons should be in MMOs?  Completely pointless?

And you're absolutely wrong with this bizzare concept that they don't relieve annoyances in the cash shop.  Weight limit, no custimzation options, bag space, horse skills, pets for auto-loot, extra storage space, repairing failed enchants, I don't know, think of some intentional annoyance in the game and guaranteed there's a solution in the shop.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Wildstar.

Only by virtue of the fact it's the only MMO I played last year.
    edited January 2017
    "If you're wanting a specific item you don't have a choice but to grind some of those areas. People group all the time for these places, for one it helps with efficiency greatly and two for protection from other players."

100% bullshit.  Those items are not good or important, and certainly not comparable to items you get from traditional dungeons in MMOs.  People absolutely do not group up "all the time" for these places.

You are misleading people.

And just because you've navigated around the many institutionalized annoyances in the game does not mean they aren't there, and they are the only point of the game since there is no endgame to speak of.