Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Skyrim Sold Me On Elder Scrolls Online - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited January 2017
    same exact thing happened to me when i played the special edition on PC. even though i am not playing ESO right now, playing skyrim made me want to play ESO.

the main shocking difference for me is the combat, skyrim's combat feels so damn clunky compared ESO's combat. what kills me is the same people that complain about ESO's combat seem to love skyrim's and that makes zero sense to me.

IMO combat is definitely not skyrim's strong suit yet ESO gets held to a much higher standard, why is that?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    baphamet said:
    same exact thing happened to me when i played the special edition on PC. even though i am not playing ESO right now, playing skyrim made me want to play ESO.

the main shocking difference for me is the combat, skyrim's combat feels so damn clunky compared ESO's combat. what kills me is the same people that complain about ESO's combat seem to love skyrim's and that makes zero sense to me.

IMO combat is definitely not skyrim's strong suit yet ESO gets held to a much higher standard, why is that?
    Agree. And the default Skyrim unlimited pauses and unlimited potion consumption while paused is such a ridiculous concept the only way to really enjoy the game is to pretend that isn't there.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I played ESO for less than a month at release then went back to Skyrim. 2 or 3 single player RPG's later I tried ESO again. Been subbed for about 6 months now and play 3 -4 hours a day. In other words I am enjoying it a lot more than I did at release

I miss DAoC

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Alomar said:

Played ESO hardcore for over 2 years and at this point it only disappoints me and makes me want to play Skyrim and eagerly await ES VI. The current ESO and post-launch direction is aimed at casual pve'ers and roleplayers, anyone interested in deeper gameplay, mechanics, competitiveness, progression, etc. is unlikely to be satisfied by ESO for long.

This is my impression. After playing for about 2 years the game feels more like a single player rpg than an MMO. Most that have enjoyed the game play for it's single player rpg features, especially when PvP in Cyrodiil is just a huge lag, cheat fest!

I cannot get back into to playing while the lag, glitches, bugs and cheating remains predominate in the game.

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161
    rodarin said:

Combat still pretty generic and they have tried to pigeon hole classes into the typical cookie cutter builds every game has through nerfs and changes and buffs. So the 'play it your way' or whatever the motto is isnt that so much.

Still dont like the AH and selling system and they had a chance to 'fix' that with housing. But no changes (as of yet) in regards to allowing people to sell from their houses (individually). But at this point I dont think paying for a guild AH stall is worth it.

But some of that is personal opinion obviously.

The world itself though is pretty awesome. The only 'negative' to the One Tamriel change was they main story and then getting lost in the race stories. So while it offers more 'freedom' it can get you out of position and you do things out of order. I think they should have locked the racial stories and made doing those in order a pre requisite.

World balance is a little jacked up too. Lower level characters are much stronger than ones that are still leveling. I have a 50 *120 and he has a much harder time than my level 14 alt. with similar skills and all the champ points. And obviously 'worse' gear. But that 'balancing' is what skews it.

Not sure how it changes once you max out and max gear but at that point I dont think its about open world anymore other than maybe grinding dolmans which is a zerg where you can have a blank skill bar and be naked.
    I strongly agree.  The upscaling made my fiftieth-leveled character seemed gimped.  Combat became a spamming of skill rotations like every other MMO.  Kinda ruined the "action" for me.

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I'm still new to ESO and can't say much but I'm impressed how wonderfully connected the single parts of the game are. Like questing, exploring, crafting, gathering, all the way I'm encouraged to look in remote corners is what I missed in other MMOs before and finally feels like it all makes sense.

What I do not like is the typical F2P quirk (all the more as it's actually pretending to be B2P) of showing you very soon the limitations of your basic account, mainly by spilling your inventory with stuff while still lacking the experience of what to keep and what not. For now I take it as an extra challenge NOT to spend any real money which requires some patience, logistics and self-limitation, at least as a die-hard solo player that I am. So far I really enjoy my time as a level 14 spellcaster and with each game session the game is getting better.

Funny fact is that I already thought I'm done with MMOs (partially surely my own fault - no wonder as solo player) and the nail in the coffin was the early beta to me. But meanwhile the game has so much improved since then, only the intro dungeon seemed pretty much the same.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    ESO is a good MMO. It's casual and pretty easy but it those things that allow you to explore and take it slow.

It also allows you to just pick a direction, run and always find something, be it a piece of lore a quest or a boss which is what "freedom" in a game means to me.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Wighty said:

Slaymore said:

I liked ESO for awhile. It lost me when I as an assasin was pressed by other players to get robes and a staff. If not they wouldnt group with me. I didnt choose assasin to play as a wizard. I wanted to dualwield. Then you had to animationcancel your abilities to get enough dps...even WITH the sad staff and robes.... maybe its just the community....I dont know.

This is what is killing it for me as well... I typically hate "magic classes" and the forced FOTM Meta builds of recent at least seem to direct you to "magika builds" which is not really up my alley.

My fav class is the NightBLADE not NightSTAFF

This. They tout freedom of builds but there's really not much flexibility

Also, animation canceling is not fun. It's annoying, and turns the already meh animations into an even bigger mess.
  • sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I only played ESO during beta/launch but my take away from it is that it is Elder Scrolls in name and aesthetic only. Ive played Oblivion and Skyrim and I can't imagine how immersive it would have been to see people dash in and out of my view, tea bagging, humping and twitching around while having no use toward my in-game experience. I never had to wait  to for any mob in Skyrim  to respawn because an npc killed it already and darted off immediately so that they could tab through the dialogue and shoot off to the next quest npc. Although ESO has alot of "zones" everything is so damn crammed that you could see quest objectives LITERALLY 20 feet away yet npcs are talking to you like its a massive undertaking to get to/defeat them. Grouping never felt like I had a distinct role other than "DO UBER DMG LOLZ" where my followers in Skyrim have had more dynamic utility after a few mods. And for a game that came out years after Skyrim the animations and hit detection were goofy. 

ESO feels like the developers started with "generic MMO" as their template, then simply fit and squeezed Elder Scrolls tropes and lore into it. While, yes, it might have been hard to start with the standard TES template and work in multiplayer aspects into it, I would have appreciated the effort and would have ended up with something far more unique than it is.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I really wanted to enjoy TESO but could never get into it. There were two main things that killed TESO for me.

First is the shallow combat. It was too slow paced for action combat, but didn't have enough skills to make up for it. The result was extremely shallow combat. That's fine for a single player game like Skyrim which you can complete in 50hours, but for an MMO it's a death sentence. If you're bored of combat after 10-20 hours, how are you going to feel after 1000?

Second is the endless pve grind to reach cap. I just couldn't bring myself to play through boring generic quests for a few months before reaching an adequate rank. Computer games suck at story telling, especially MMOs. I want gameplay in my games! I want to engage with the content, not passively observe it.

With the change to one tamriel, it sounds even worse for players like me. Not only do you still have shallow combat and mind-numbing pve grind, the feeling of progression seems to have been removed too.

Its a real shame. TESO does so many things better than Skyrim. The world is bigger and more interesting. The creatures are more varied. The combat, whilst it is still shallow, is still a lot better than Skyrim. The crafting and itemisation seems pretty decent and the class/progression mechanics seemed good too. Most importantly, they seem to have designed a pretty decent pvp system.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I played skyrim to death on pc. The only way i can play it anymore is modded and i'm getting tired of that. ESO and its changes up to this point are making the game fun for me. I do wish the game had more build diversity. If your not running one of the cookie cutter builds elitists want don't even bother thinking about group content. Thank god you can play it like a single player TES game now. But if you want to create your own build be prepared to only solo in this game.
    Hariken said:
    If your not running one of the cookie cutter builds elitists want don't even bother thinking about group content. Thank god you can play it like a single player TES game now. But if you want to create your own build be prepared to only solo in this game.
    Yeah it's a rude awakening for many once they start trying to run veteran dungeons for the monster mask sets. It really brings out the worst in the community.

I always have such a laugh when I hear people talk about how toxic PVPers are. By far the most toxicity in ESO exists in high-end elitist PVE. Ironically the ESO PVP crowd is far more welcoming towardf the less than max level cookie cutter BIS players. Much more build diversity feasible in PVP too.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Iselin said:
    Hariken said:
    If your not running one of the cookie cutter builds elitists want don't even bother thinking about group content. Thank god you can play it like a single player TES game now. But if you want to create your own build be prepared to only solo in this game.
    Yeah it's a rude awakening for many once they start trying to run veteran dungeons for the monster mask sets. It really brings out the worst in the community.

I always have such a laugh when I hear people talk about how toxic PVPers are. By far the most toxicity in ESO exists in high-end elitist PVE. Ironically the ESO PVP crowd is far more welcoming towardf the less than max level cookie cutter BIS players. Much more build diversity feasible in PVP too.
    Thats the irony some naked squib right out of wailing prison is as powerful or more powerful than someones running those things.

The game isnt really about gear, but the people playing it try and make it seem like it is.

I also was looking at all these builds and skills and rotations. SO funny. You have 5 skills and an elite. This isnt Rift.

Granted I havent run the 'high' end crap yet, but the way it is now anyone can despite what the people try and claim.

ESO is a decent Co -Op game. on the weekends, well all week actually but week ends especially you see people in every zone. A LOT of people still play this game and even with layering there are dozens of people in some areas. You cant get away from people even if you try. Even the DLC areas are loaded, which means there are a lot of subs or a lot of people who bought that content.

I like it, like I said I just went back to it after a couple years so there is still plenty to do for me. I am coming off a 6 month Rift Bender so its a nice change of pace.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    The stories are fun and the voice acting is top-notch, if nothing else everyone should play it for the single player experience. 
    edited January 2017
    rodarin said:
    Iselin said:
    Hariken said:

Thats the irony some naked squib right out of wailing prison is as powerful or more powerful than someones running those things.

The game isnt really about gear, but the people playing it try and make it seem like it is.

I also was looking at all these builds and skills and rotations. SO funny. You have 5 skills and an elite. This isnt Rift.

Granted I havent run the 'high' end crap yet, but the way it is now anyone can despite what the people try and claim.

ESO is a decent Co -Op game. on the weekends, well all week actually but week ends especially you see people in every zone. A LOT of people still play this game and even with layering there are dozens of people in some areas. You cant get away from people even if you try. Even the DLC areas are loaded, which means there are a lot of subs or a lot of people who bought that content.

I like it, like I said I just went back to it after a couple years so there is still plenty to do for me. I am coming off a 6 month Rift Bender so its a nice change of pace.
    Well, no, the new players with their extra buffs can't run high-end content. The veteran version of dungeons doesn't unlock for them until after 50... long after the extra "noob" buff is gone at level 34.

Even in lower end normal dungeons their lack of the better skills limits their effectiveness although they can manage as long as others in the group take up the slack.

There are some oddities in group content that makes it hard for them though. The dungeons in the game start unlocking at level 10. Originally that made sense since they unlocked 3 at a time in tiers of increasing difficulty.

But when they added the DLC dungeons, ZOS in their wisdom, decided to unlock the DLC dungeons all at level 10 also. A ridiculous decision from a game play perspective since those dungeons are far harder and have much trickier mechanics than any of the original dungeons (the one that to this day still unlocks at level 45, Vaults of Madness is a cakewalk by comparison.) Then later on with One Tamriel they made normal difficulty versions of the dungeons that used to be veteran only, now called the "2" version. These also are full of tricky mechanics more suited to experienced players.

So these days a brand new level 10 player unlocks the 3 original easy ones: Fungal Grotto 1, Banished Cells 1 and Spindleclutch 1. But in addition to that they also unlock the tougher 2 version of those 3 and all of the DLC dungeons. When they use the groupfinder to queue for a random dungeon - and they do just that because there are extra XP and loot rewards for doing that instead of selecting one or more - they'll be just fine if they're lucky enough to be put on one of the original 3 but struggle big time if they're not.

And that problem is not really about gear and stats - it's about experience with game mechanics like dodging, blocking, avoiding AOEs, staying near the healer, how to tank and heal, etc.

The elitism I was talking about is more about high end trials (raids) where some weapons are deemed to be underperformers in PVE (2HD, Frost staves) and players are expected to use some gear and abilities (Spell Power Cure set for healers, Warhorn ultimate for healers and tanks, etc.) with good group utility. That's what starts locking people down into a handful of most efficient gear and ability builds. Some of that spills over onto veteran dungeons also where players are judged, silently or not, based on what weapons they use and how they use them and there's a general feeling that unless you have at least 300 CP you need to be carried.

And it's actually 10 abilities + 2 ultimates (15 and 2 if you're a sorcerer using the Overload ultimate or a werewolf, both of whom get a 3rd ability bar) not 5+1.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Yeah overload gives a 3rd bar.

I stopped caring about raiding once we did Nax, and yes we were some of the few to get it mostly finished before BC came out. But its still the same. You grind gear to advance. I dont think that is the case with ESO. I think you can do it all without the gear, gear just makes it easier to do it with more mistakes and less optimal 'moves'. 

Gear grinds oif any kind never made sense especially in games that tend to advance you vertically. THAT is the thing ESO sort of fails at. They have a more vertical progression than the single player games. But then again they have to since its multiplayer.

They could tweak it a little but they figure its not worth the cost or effort.
    Torval said:
    Right now I don't play at all though because for some reason it causes my machine to reboot. I really wish I could work out that issue.
    Try going under documents> Elder Scrolls Online > live,  and delete (or rename if you want) UserSettings.txt and let the game rebuild it. That has cured all kinds of weirdness in the past for me.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I feel like I'm one of the few fans of The Elder Scrolls that loves ESO. I've been playing the series since Daggerfall and when I found out that a MMORPG set in Tamriel was going to be a thing I got excited.

I feel this argument never gets old. I like how the Elder Scrolls Online is a blend of Tamriel and what I like about MMORPGs. There's also a few thing that surprised me including the character progression(especially the variety at endgame), and how crafting works. But I can not deny that I had a few concerns early on. One concern was the combat system which to me does not hold a lot of weight behind it sometimes, especially when it comes to impactful melee attacks. The phasing technology also made it hard for cooperative play when questing. While some of my issues have been addressed, it's not completely fixed.

My biggest concern is animation canceling which is a result of a combat system with a few holes. It's something that Zenimax Online Studios can't/will not fix. They even "support" animation canceling because they can't stop it completely. It feels and looks tacky.

But I love the variety and some of the changes introduced by One Tamriel. While I still think Skyrim looks better, the Elder Scrolls Online is still a gorgeous game. And the 4 man dungeons in my opinion are a huge highlight for this theme park MMORPG especially with the veteran difficulty.
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    I missed Arena and Darkfall, to my great regret.

Morrowind: Freedom level 9000.
    Seek out this person in Balmora, he will guide you.
    Guy in Balmora: You're not nearly strong enough, return to me once you're stronger.
    Kill Guy in Balmora: You've doomed the world, would you like to revert to a save or continue in the doomed world you have created?
    Find some way to break the game: Have fun =D.
    Psychadelic world is crazy :D

Oblivion: Freedom level 6500

Why can't I craft spells or enchant without playing mages guild for 6 hours?
    Hey guys let's try fast travel because the world isn't interesting.

Skyrim: Freedom level 2000
    Spell crafting? LOL!!! Here have a quest instead.
    Actually, a great quest sounds like killing these guys in camps. Quartermasters won't die: There's DLC for that D=.
    This door requires a key!!!

Game plot has progressed from an alternate universe with nix hounds with 3 jaws to the vikings of ancient history some how. It's like Elder Scrolls people got tired of being creative and just started pumping game content out.

Elder Scrolls Online:
    Have 2 kill quests and a collecting quest, after you're finished, rinse and repeat. Maybe they changed this. I got to level 20 back when it was P2P and it broke my heart that they had come this far into corrupting the impossible level of freedom that once was Morrowind.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Denambren said:

LOL!

"ESO is now more interesting than Skyrim to me, because I've played Skyrim since 2011 and am getting bored of it in 2016."

HAHA

Thanks for the laugh. This piece of analytic journalism has concluded that a single player game played for a thousand hours can eventually start to feel less interesting than it did initially. Well done.

Well his blog is pretty weird but I think he is not really comparing masterpiece to a turd,I think OP is shyly trying to tell us what kind of person he is..

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

In case some of you don't know what animation cancelling in ESO is all about, this video shows it very well - especially the part with the split screen showing no cancelling on the left and cancelling on the right. It makes it pretty obvious why it's a DPS boost:

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Well that explains why macroing is popular even if the devs don't approve.
    edited January 2017
    The thing is that animation canceling is really only a veteran hardmode final boss in a dungeon or veteran raid kind of thing and then only if you're trying to get a speed achievement or going for high scores.

In normal run of the mill pugs I don't even bother slotting my top DPS rotation abilities anyway. If the tank isn't controlling the adds or the healer is slacking off - which happens more often than not, I'm better off slotting shields and self-heals. Min-maxing my DPS rotation, including animation cancelling, is a luxury of being in a really good group.

And in PVP you spend most of your time moving and chasing anyway. Animation cancelling is the least of your worries there.

So it does exist and it does help your DPS, but people that don't even do hard mode raids blow its impact on the game all out of proportion. Even the toughest bosses in raids with enrage mechanics are not designed with animation cancelling in mind - they can be done just fine without it. If the game didn't have leader boards for fastest flawless raid completions no one would really give a shit about it.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• storagstorag Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I'm so full of this "TES games are about freedom" stuff... I don't know where people get those ideas but I suppose they just confuse the freedom given buy MODs with actual stock gameplay. Without mods both Skyrim and Oblivion are combat centered and sometimes even more restricted than ESO in terms of non-violent resolutions. Yeah, you can wonder around and stumble upon some "treasure" but good luck trying to find something worthwhile thanks to stupid world scaling systems. And that's pretty much the same degree of "freedom" you have in ESO atm.

Storywise ESO offers some pretty solid plots with excellent voice acting. And judging by the Orsinium and Thieves guild stories devs keep improving. I managed to go through Thieves plot with very few fights.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    storag said:
    I'm so full of this "TES games are about freedom" stuff... I don't know where people get those ideas but I suppose they just confuse the freedom given buy MODs with actual stock gameplay. Without mods both Skyrim and Oblivion are combat centered and sometimes even more restricted than ESO in terms of non-violent resolutions. Yeah, you can wonder around and stumble upon some "treasure" but good luck trying to find something worthwhile thanks to stupid world scaling systems. And that's pretty much the same degree of "freedom" you have in ESO atm.

Storywise ESO offers some pretty solid plots with excellent voice acting. And judging by the Orsinium and Thieves guild stories devs keep improving. I managed to go through Thieves plot with very few fights.
    I don't agree with that at all.

The only mods I ever use are additional dungeons/quests and armor/weapons mods that add additional choices.

Some additional things such as making horses not attack everything or allowing you to be able to see your breath.

And I've played Skyrim "since launch" and still play it. Clearly you have very specific needs if you think that an unmodded skyrim doesn't allow for freedom.

Of course, no game is "entirely free" as there are always going to be limitations on these games. Not everything can be thrown in.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo