Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very concerning. Co-op? not Mmorpg?

2»

Comments

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Iselin said:
    I think there's something wrong with me. Maybe something not wired right in the pleasure center of my brain...

I find survival games, hell any games with extensive resource gathering and building, just totally boring. I couldn't stand even minecraft. They just feel like busy work to me... worse if gankers mess with my busy work.

I hate mobas too... I'm definitely not the target audience of the gaming industry these days :(

Oh well, back to killing and exploring in games that are still about that.
    I feel you. I don't hate those games per say, but they are pretty much all the same except for the setting. I have fun at the begining, just exploring the possibilities and what you can build and what is supposed to make the game "different" from the rest, but it feels like more of the same pretty fast.

As for Mobas, I played DOTA2 for a while, but I don't have any interests in starting "fresh" in another game of this type alone. I could probably consider it if some RL friends would want to do it like we did for DOTA2, but I don't see this coming as they are mostly taken into survival games nowadays.

I've instead joined a 15y/o game on a fresh new indy server.. guess I too am not the target audience for nowadays games...

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

We'll have to see what the final numbers per server are and how that equates to the feel of the world. As much as I like the idea of MMOs, because it makes the world seem alive, having 30 players gathered around common PoI's jumping and dancing isn't the most immersive either. Due to its survival-ish nature it may be a good thing. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Iselin said:
    I think there's something wrong with me. Maybe something not wired right in the pleasure center of my brain...

I find survival games, hell any games with extensive resource gathering and building, just totally boring. I couldn't stand even minecraft. They just feel like busy work to me... worse if gankers mess with my busy work.

I hate mobas too... I'm definitely not the target audience of the gaming industry these days :(

I feel you. I don't hate those games per say, but they are pretty much all the same except for the setting. I have fun at the begining, just exploring the possibilities and what you can build and what is supposed to make the game "different" from the rest, but it feels like more of the same pretty fast.

As for Mobas, I played DOTA2 for a while, but I don't have any interests in starting "fresh" in another game of this type alone. I could probably consider it if some RL friends would want to do it like we did for DOTA2, but I don't see this coming as they are mostly taken into survival games nowadays.

I've instead joined a 15y/o game on a fresh new indy server.. guess I too am not the target audience for nowadays games...

I'm on that same server, stop telling people about it. Darn queue was over 5 hours yesterday. 

I got in line at 7:30 am ET and still waited 1:45 hrs.

Having a great time, must be my nostalgia glasses kicking in...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:

I'm on that same server, stop telling people about it. Darn queue was over 5 hours yesterday. 

I got in line at 7:30 am ET and still waited 1:45 hrs.

Having a great time, must be my nostalgia glasses kicking in...

Blame Twitch streamers. Most broadcasts are of that server ;)
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    WellzyC said:

This is from the DnL reddit.

Death proxy (YouTuber) also mentions this information in his weekly DnL update videos.

If this information is correct, I am so disappointed. 

From the sound of this information, the game plays more like a "modern warfare 2 style dedicated server system", where people will host and you can join in. 

It brings up a lot of questions. Will server size will most likely be low since it will be hosted by the public?  Are dedicated servers just an option over official servers? If a server closes is your character gone? what is the point of factions if the population is so low? 

In the end, we will have to wait and see what early access brings, but this information really stings. I was extremely excited for a fantasy survival mmo. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"the steam page listing is accurate - single-player, local, and online co-op through private servers should be available at EA launch."Confirmed (self.dnl)

submitted 4 days ago by KroyMortlach|light| |MA|

Horsejoke - Today at 2:50 AM @Kroy just got confirmation from the product manager, the steam page listing is accurate - single-player, local, and online co-op through private servers should be available at EA launch. Just part of a feature list rather than a full announcement

I questioned Horsejoke on Discord and he checked with his colleagues. This represents another piece of the puzzle confirmed, rather than the speculation and rumours.

It's something that we all suspected. It was even part of a leaked statement back in September, and yes it was listed on Steam. But for those of us who have been around a bit, we know that until it's been verified in at least two places by Snail, it's likely not official news, (e.g. Facebook calling the game an MMORPG, or release in "Fall" or "This year" in the same announcement etc...). They haven't been the most reliable of communicators so far during Dark and Light's pre-release build up.

They said that these will be available as well as Thier official servers.  So there will be both the private ones as well as the option to host your own. Not just private servers.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    thanks for this. because MMORPG.com has it listed here I assumed it was a MMO, but this is just a CORPG game. I may try it, but my expectations will be different now to make a fair judgment and less likely to be as disappointed as I would have been if I found out while playing that it wasnt a MMO and was falsely advertised. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

I think they bought the rights for pennies and are just using the IP as a cash grab opportunity due to the current popularity of "survival games". By branding this version of DnL as a "survival game", they can get away with minimal content and rush it out as Early Access.
    This. Its so obvious that it sucks.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

Spiider said:

I think they bought the rights for pennies and are just using the IP as a cash grab opportunity due to the current popularity of "survival games". By branding this version of DnL as a "survival game", they can get away with minimal content and rush it out as Early Access.

Riiiight, because they completely rebuilt the game from scratch over the last 10 years as a cash grab from whom? Old DnL fans? LOL!

I'm not saying that it may not suck, I'll determine that when more is known. To assume the above though... there is simply no indication of that.

• RhapkRhapk Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Aelious said:
    Spiider said:

Riiiight, because they completely rebuilt the game from scratch over the last 10 years as a cash grab from whom? Old DnL fans? LOL!

I'm not saying that it may not suck, I'll determine that when more is known. To assume the above though... there is simply no indication of that.

they built it over 10 years and hardly can show any actual footage from the game, 
    Its a survival title, still has to come out in EA and they have been working on it over 10 years, doesn't trigger something? :)
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Iselin said:

You are not alone. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Rhapk said:
    Aelious said:
    Spiider said:

they built it over 10 years and hardly can show any actual footage from the game, 
    Its a survival title, still has to come out in EA and they have been working on it over 10 years, doesn't trigger something? :)

Yes, it's triggered my interest!

No matter how much prophesizing or pontificating happens now, at some point in the future I'll have my wallet in hand and will make the decision to buy or not but this title. That time is not now because they have nothing for sale yet. That's the major distinction between other titles that have shown more in an earlier state and that's because they want money. There was a time when companies didn't show anything before beta at the least. It's only in the recent age of market congestion and self-funding that this has become an expectation.

I'm excited about a survival-ish online game with preexisting cities/towns and a loose world narrative. That to me is wildly different than a survival game where you start with nothing in a world that has nothing. It sounds much more like a D&D deal where you have to plan and prepare for adventures. We'll see. If they don't offer enough content (not necessarily questing) or progression it won't go far. One things for sure though, it is a completely different title from the original. That was the main reason I responded as if it was an actual "cash grab" they wouldn't have completely redone it. That term seems to have lost its true meaning.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    imo this should be sticky so people dont mistakenly take this as a MMO if they were looking for a MMO. because currently its on MMORPG.com top upcoming mmo list. can be a bit misleading.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    If the game was originally being created as an MMORPG, why would they scrap it and go with the small server approach? Is it because this was easier to develop?
    --------------------------------------------
  • ooogyooogy Member CommonPosts: 37
    edited February 2017
    this game looks like a big pile of poopy.. and its NOT a MMORPG so it should be removed from this site..  60-100 people is not MMORPG
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    hardly an MMO if it has a 60 person cap.
  • chelvaricchelvaric Member UncommonPosts: 47
    fro what amount of players is mmo then. heck even guildwars zones are instanced so from what point is something a mmo
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    i'd say 200-300 at least (depending on world size). 
  • ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Personally I can't wait for it and will be hosting it on my own dedicated server when it's finally available. I run an ARK server now and this will go alongside it nicely for me and my community to play on. I've always loved being able to host my own, with the rules and settings we want, and without having to pay to have it hosted elsewhere.
  • VVestVVest Member CommonPosts: 3
    games with private servers are not as interesting as massive single servers. 

people get bored fast running into the same players over and over again without progression towards a greater goal.

running around with your friends will get repetitive fast 
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Not an mmog.....not interested :-(
  • SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180
    not an mmo..not interested too
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    That increases the odds I'll buy it then. :D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    That increases the odds I'll buy it then. :D
    "PCGamer" website that way--->

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon