Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE player uses $28,000 of skill injectors to create max character

13»

Comments

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    edited January 2017

hfztt said:
    I love how people see this as an example of how EVE is P2W, in spite of the fact that the guy did this through gameplay and not by spending real money.

Logic is apparently an overrated thing...

But you CAN spend real money to buy these skill injectors to create max character..right?
    Wouldnt that be the point?
    Sorry, i havent played Eve online for almost 10yrs now so i dont have much to contribute, but i do remember when i was playing back then that if you didnt visit gold sellers and buy some ISK you were at a decided disadvantage unless you were really skillful at making money.
    Losing ships back then was really REALLY expensive and even if you could afford insurance it still didnt cover the cost of your ship, or even the equipment you were using on that ship (which sometimes was as expensive as the ship itself).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Spiider said:
    EVE is dying for a while now. It was strong so its slow and painful death. But there is no turning back. Scammers, RMTers. and finally devs... gravediggers of EVE.
    The scammers, RMTers, and dirtbags did not convince me to cancel my six subs.

It was the Devs and their almost baffling support of making it ever easier to kill  players who largely wish to PVE without having to shoulder most of the risk.  (no need for the lectures, I know what sort of game it is, been playing it for a while now)

Sure, it makes the wolves happier, the sheep not so much.  

Oh well, their game, and it cost them significant revenue from me at least.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    This year long discussion is almost as tedious as Eve Online.

*BADUM TISH *
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited January 2017
    Kunai_Vax said:

hfztt said:
    I love how people see this as an example of how EVE is P2W, in spite of the fact that the guy did this through gameplay and not by spending real money.

But you CAN spend real money to buy these skill injectors to create max character..right?
    Sorry, i havent played Eve online for almost 10yrs now so i dont have much to contribute, but i do remember when i was playing back then that if you didnt visit gold sellers and buy some ISK you were at a decided disadvantage unless you were really skillful at making money.
    Losing ships back then was really REALLY expensive and even if you could afford insurance it still didnt cover the cost of your ship, or even the equipment you were using on that ship (which sometimes was as expensive as the ship itself).

What  help do bought skills bring when you don't have the tactical knowledge (or any) of this game? EVE is about using your brain mass, skillpoints only help a bit.
    I can log in my 10M sp toon, and pwn just as easily as in my 2003 characters.

I have seen ppl that bought toons of my friends, the toons dated back to 2005, 150million + skillpoints each; the player buying the toons started in 2015 and was a newb in EVE!

He thought he had a 'I WIN' button, undocked in pimped ships using his new characters, well he got totally destroyed.

He left game because it 'was 'too boring'.

In short; he got pwned, and bought skills do not help one bit if a player does not know how to use them.

I love players saying EVE is P2W and in fact they don't know sh*t about the game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited January 2017
    Kunai_Vax said:

hfztt said:

Sorry, I havent played Eve online for almost 10yrs

Should have deleted and not posted when you reached this point.

The friends and relationships you build in Eve is worth way more than isk and is the real power base of those at the top.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Spiider said:
    EVE is dying for a while now. It was strong so its slow and painful death. But there is no turning back. Scammers, RMTers. and finally devs... gravediggers of EVE.
    Weird, to me it seems as good as it has ever been. There are at least regional 4 wars going in 0.0, and in all likelihood a 1-2 more that I'm not aware of. Log in numbers are up, the community is active, there are a pretty good number of new people joining if the New Player Help channel is any guide. "EVE is dying" has been a humorous meme for the last 14 years, and I expect it to be one for quite a while yet.

PS Scammers are a feature, not a bug. Just because you don't undock doesn't mean you're not going to be involved in PvP of some kind.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Kunai_Vax said:

hfztt said:

Your sister COULD sleep with me for a nickel, but that doesnt mean you're entitled to question her virtue.

Kyleran said:
    Spiider said:
    The scammers, RMTers, and dirtbags did not convince me to cancel my six subs.

It was the Devs and their almost baffling support of making it ever easier to kill  players who largely wish to PVE without having to shoulder most of the risk.  (no need for the lectures, I know what sort of game it is, been playing it for a while now)

Sure, it makes the wolves happier, the sheep not so much.  

Oh well, their game, and it cost them significant revenue from me at least.

What specifically? Bubble-immune 'ceptors?

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    RIP Dollar bills.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Muke said:
    Kunai_Vax said:

hfztt said:

What  help do bought skills bring when you don't have the tactical knowledge (or any) of this game? EVE is about using your brain mass, skillpoints only help a bit.
    I can log in my 10M sp toon, and pwn just as easily as in my 2003 characters.

I have seen ppl that bought toons of my friends, the toons dated back to 2005, 150million + skillpoints each; the player buying the toons started in 2015 and was a newb in EVE!

He thought he had a 'I WIN' button, undocked in pimped ships using his new characters, well he got totally destroyed.

He left game because it 'was 'too boring'.

In short; he got pwned, and bought skills do not help one bit if a player does not know how to use them.

I love players saying EVE is P2W and in fact they don't know sh*t about the game.

I was only adding my thoughts on the prevrious guys comment. Wasnt attacking the game or anyone here who's posting. Dont be so buthurt. 
    Also, your analogy doesnt really make my point invalid. You simply made an argument that buying skills doesnt help if you're already bad at the game. So what if 2 people of equal skill went into the game and one of them paid thousands and thousands of dollars to boost his/her character.. you're telling me that this person would'nt have a decided advantage in various ways such as damage output and choice of ships?

Kunai_Vax said:

hfztt said:

Sorry, I havent played Eve online for almost 10yrs

Should have deleted and not posted when you reached this point.

The friends and relationships you build in Eve is worth way more than isk and is the real power base of those at the top.
    If only people who play the game they are commenting on can post then it would be a pretty boring forum, and why wouldnt you just stick to posting on that games actual forum?
    I didnt put myself across as some know-it-all or opinionated fool, i simply tried to add a little context to what a previous poster might have been trying to say.
    If you dislike opinions that dont compliment your own, maybe a forum where people with different gaming backgrounds converse isnt the right place for you.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    edited January 2017
    Ishkal said:
    I guarantee u that if you bought a max lvl toon with BiS gear in Ultima online I would monkey stomp you in my gm crafted gear that cost me nothing and take all yer stuff lol it was not pay to win. 
    Then you never played at the release of AoS. It was most certainly pay to win at that point. The doom gear was incomparable and you could not defeat someone that had a blessed set. 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205
    First time commenting on something in likely years on this site, but seriously.. who cares how people spend their time or money on something? This is almost as bad as the 'victim' card tumblr idiots use to make themselves feel special or try to drag others down to their level because they don't have the strength or resources to achieve their own merits.

If a dude spends time farming enough isk in game to equate to $28,000 or if he did actually spend $28,000 in real world currency on skill injectors, then so what? That was his own hard work that he spent on something he felt was worth it to him.

I use to be a moderator and game reviewer over at MMOsite and had to quit because it drove me actually insane with the stupidity I read on forums. Half of the gaming community doesn't even know what "Pay to Win" means or how it was coined. Generally Pay to Win means being able to buy power that another player cannot obtain. Webzen is mostly guilty of this in most of their games.

If a player can either buy into a max level character or earn a max level character; as long as the latter is obtainable without paying at all, it's considered "Pay for Convenience". You'd not locked behind any pay wall in those kinds of games.

Mind your own damn business, play the game your way and let others play the game how they want to play the game that they pay for. Christ.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    What blows me away most is its a crappy game...sitting in a ship, point and click, no real combat....id seriously think someone that spends that kind of money on any video game needs serious counselling.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    What blows me away most is its a crappy game...sitting in a ship, point and click, no real combat....id seriously think someone that spends that kind of money on any video game needs serious counselling.
    Really? One would think it is your unhealthy envy how others spend their money(making it worse - it is not even the case here)that needs counseling...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gdemami said:
    Really? One would think it is your unhealthy envy how others spend their money(making it worse - it is not even the case here)that needs counseling...
    Not to mention a lack of understanding of how EVE combat actually works.

I blame the education system which fails to focus on critical thinking. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "You're just jealous" is an #idiocracy battle cry.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Doesn't mean it aint true tho,

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Ishkal said:
    I guarantee u that if you bought a max lvl toon with BiS gear in Ultima online I would monkey stomp you in my gm crafted gear that cost me nothing and take all yer stuff lol it was not pay to win. 
    Lies one you can't take people's stuff in ulitma online, and 2 if all you used was gm stuff you would lose even to the most inexperienced player, considering all they would have to do is hide and kill you in one hit. Not to mention your crazy. I suppose you are one of those guys who uses speed hacks so you know your gonna win. Ulitma online is 100 percent pay 2 win in everything it's not up for debate. You pay money you have better stuff from castles, to top end gear. If you took 2 people same skill level gave oNE gm gear and the other a 1 billion suit the guy with gm gear would never win. Not to mention uo pvp is retarded and like 10 people do it.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Spiider said:
    Most games go that way.
    Spiider said:
    Most games go that way.
    EVE is dying: Average saturday afternoon in SyndicontentRing: http://evf-eve.com/services/brcat/?s...e=335&t=quauaq

BRs seem to mess up something chronic these days, but AFAIK, it was INIT/IM/SNuff/PM/Chaos Theory/OoS vs everyone else. Basically about 500 v 1200, more or less even losses. gf gf gf