Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A review of the mmorpg genre

somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
We have seen the rise and fall of several mmorpg games in recent years; we have seen cataclysmic changes in the monetisation systems, and we have seen a protracted lull in production... 

I intend to undertake a point by point review of the mmorpg genre in its current state:- 

VISUALS & SOUNDS

Often you can see and hear an mmo, and this is necessary in order to play it. Sometimes they are good and sometimes they are not so good. Aiming for great graphics might steal budget away from celebrity cameos, unless you are Star Citizen, in which case celebrity cameos steal budget away from a finished game. 

GAMEPLAY

Did someone say "dodge"? What better combat system is there than a telegraphed attack that can be avoided via a dodge button. It is clearly the apex of computer game combat.

POLISH

I have chosen not to discuss this issue since it is clearly less important than hype and marketing. 

LONGEVITY

Who cares when people are prepared to pay >$1,000 for a founder pack?

VALUE

Who cares when people are prepared to pay >$1,000 for a founder pack? 

CONCLUSION

Obviously the MMORPG genre has never been in better health than it is today. 

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    You have some good points but randomly dissing combat that encourages reaction and counterplay is a little odd.
  • somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
    You have some good points but randomly dissing combat that encourages reaction and counterplay is a little odd.
    Don't get me wrong, I love TPS and FPS combat, but we really have a half-arsed effort at twitchy combat atm. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    If you had put in your ideas of solutions to the problems we could have an interesting discussion, there are clearly many things the genre can improve but just complains helps no-one and make a rather poor topic. 
  • somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Loke666 said:
    If you had put in your ideas of solutions to the problems we could have an interesting discussion, there are clearly many things the genre can improve but just complains helps no-one and make a rather poor topic. 
    yes, critique is always bad :/ 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Loke666 said:
    No, actually sometimes it's done well. Hard to do well with sarcastic one liners though... maybe that'd work on twitter?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Loke666 said:
    Ahh, expected response from someone like you, no wonder then.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited January 2017
    Next he'll be telling us how much he hasn't spent, how long it is had been since he spent anything and how terrible the forums tags are.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I give your review 2 out of 10.

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    ste2000 said:

I rate him with 5/7

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    The OP is strangely vey accurate in his sarcasm, quite out of character.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    ste2000 said:

I give your review of his review a 10 out of 10, Good job ste2000 !
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    ste2000 said:

I rate him with 5/7
    While I agree with him that MMOs are in a pretty bad shape right now, his review is pretty cheap, an overdose of sarcasm doesn't help.
    Sarcasm needs to be used wisely in order to be truly effective.

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited January 2017
    Sry OP, it doesn't make sense "reviewing a genre", you can only review games within a genre.