Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia takes laptop graphics with huge lead.

2»

Comments

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited January 2017
    Lol, 970m is slower than destop 960. And there you go talking about 1050ti.....and then swtich to 1050. Typical filmoret. Unlocked 460 is fater than 1050 and uses about same power....and is cheaper since its smaller chip lol

"gaming laptop" is a wash, since you have to be pugged into a wall or your GPU will either completely shut down or work at significantly reduced performance....or youll get 45 min max out of your battery lol

And APUs operate at 15-35W power envelope for CPU+GPU.

Nothing to  see here "157-125=27" all over again lol
    Post edited by Malabooga on
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    The thing is.  Right now there is no reason to use anything else as a laptop GPU.  The entire GTX 10 series has mobile counterparts that are equals with their pc versions.  And the lower end are at a price point that is unmatched anywhere.    The 1050 laptops are starting brand new at 800$ and the 1060's somewhere around $1k.  

PC graphics are no longer superior to Laptop unless you are sli.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • StellaBellaStellaBella Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited January 2017
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Ridelynn said:
    filmoret said:
    Elevenb4 said:
    Torval said:
    The Nvidia 970M is not a card to write home about. It's nothing compared to its desktop counterpart.
    He means it does run about 10% faster than the desktop GPU, not the 970m. I couldn't believe it either when I first saw this, but several sites are confirming it in their tests.
    This is not anything to snuff at.  They delivering something that strong with only using 75 wats on full power.  Oh and BTW when you are running on battery it goes into saver mode and runs about 50w.  Right now Dell has the 1050 in new laptops for 800$.  You can barely find a laptop with the 970m that costs that much and those are 3 year old laptops.

We were really hoping that AMD was supplying us with solid laptop gpu's but they just didn't get it this time.
    Personally, if I were looking for graphics power in a laptop, I'd say that AMD APUs are running rings around anything else right now - Intel can only come close with their Iris Pro-based chips, and nVidia doesn't have an x86 license for CPU cores and can only come into play with expensive (in terms of dollars, power consumption, additional cooling, and additional size/weight) add-on options. 

Is Pascal faster than GCN? Probably in most scenarios, but in a laptop, I'd say that's way down on the list of priorities.

And Polaris 11, we've only just seen it come out in the most recent Apple lineup  - I don't think it's spread beyond that yet, but I could be mistaken.

But the best apu is lucky to perform like a gtx 650.  Even if you are going for battery life there really isn't a laptop that lets you play a game for 2 hours before losing battery.  When people buy gaming laptops they understand that you might get 1 hour of gaming on battery and the fps is cut to 30 to save power.  

They are more concerned with performance and heat.  Realizing that they won't get anything as good as an rx 480 but can come close within reason.  For example the gtx 1070 and 1080 for mobile are duplicate performance of the pc versions but the heat man will probably kill someone.
    Just wait until AMD sticks HBM on package in an APU.  Once that happens, discrete GPUs disappear from gaming laptops in a hurry.
    There will be discrete GPU on gaming laptop for the foreseeable future simply because of the power in watts needed to run games (you even talked about power requirement earlier in this thread). You slap a high end GPU on a laptop motherboard has the primary and only display adapter (even with HBM2 memory) and your battery will be dead before you could read my reply in this thread. I did send you a lol cause frankly that's what I did.

You could say I made this account on MMORPG just to send you that lol.
    To the contrary, chips have gotten very good at shutting down portions that aren't in use to save power.  That 45 W laptop CPU doesn't burn 45 W all of the time.  If your computer is idle, it's not using more than a few watts.

Integrated graphics offers some major advantages over a discrete card.  No need to pass data to the GPU over a PCI Express bus saves cost and power, and can improve performance in some cases.  Having only one hot spot in a laptop to cool rather than two makes cooling much simpler.  Not needing a giant card (well, giant by laptop standards, anyway) for the GPU makes spacing and cooling simpler.  Not needing two separate GPUs in the system because you want to shut down the discrete GPU when not gaming to save power but need a GPU running to show anything on the screen saves a lot of complexity--and avoids a lot of video driver problems.

Right now, the problem with integrated graphics for gaming is that it can't give enough performance.  AMD could build a bigger APU with a lot more compute units (and has for consoles!), but it wouldn't work very well in laptops because it would be starved for memory bandwidth.  Two channels of DDR4 just isn't enough to feed a big GPU.  Stick HBM on package and that problem goes away, while all of the advantages of integrated graphics stay.
    There is a reason discrete GPU are used in gaming laptops and that reason is not going away anytime soon. Sure you could integrate powerful graphics processing onto a motherboard and shut down aspects of it when not required, but is that basically not the same principle as discrete? Except on failure, you are replacing the entire mobo rather then a discrete component. Power requirements and battery technology are the main culprits and those issues are not going away anytime soon.

With every advancement in APU/GPU technology, games become that much more demanding, feeding the viscous cycle. While your theory is indeed viable, it is a long way off. Probably closer to the realm of crystal or organic computing. We are rapidly approaching the limits of silicon, 5nm is probably about it. They have been able to manipulate and go smaller but there is a major cost in performance. Crystal and/or organic with be the future, that's when your dream will come true my friend.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    Just wait until AMD sticks HBM on package in an APU.  Once that happens, discrete GPUs disappear from gaming laptops in a hurry.
    There will be discrete GPU on gaming laptop for the foreseeable future simply because of the power in watts needed to run games (you even talked about power requirement earlier in this thread). You slap a high end GPU on a laptop motherboard has the primary and only display adapter (even with HBM2 memory) and your battery will be dead before you could read my reply in this thread. I did send you a lol cause frankly that's what I did.

You could say I made this account on MMORPG just to send you that lol.
    To the contrary, chips have gotten very good at shutting down portions that aren't in use to save power.  That 45 W laptop CPU doesn't burn 45 W all of the time.  If your computer is idle, it's not using more than a few watts.

Integrated graphics offers some major advantages over a discrete card.  No need to pass data to the GPU over a PCI Express bus saves cost and power, and can improve performance in some cases.  Having only one hot spot in a laptop to cool rather than two makes cooling much simpler.  Not needing a giant card (well, giant by laptop standards, anyway) for the GPU makes spacing and cooling simpler.  Not needing two separate GPUs in the system because you want to shut down the discrete GPU when not gaming to save power but need a GPU running to show anything on the screen saves a lot of complexity--and avoids a lot of video driver problems.

Right now, the problem with integrated graphics for gaming is that it can't give enough performance.  AMD could build a bigger APU with a lot more compute units (and has for consoles!), but it wouldn't work very well in laptops because it would be starved for memory bandwidth.  Two channels of DDR4 just isn't enough to feed a big GPU.  Stick HBM on package and that problem goes away, while all of the advantages of integrated graphics stay.
    There is a reason discrete GPU are used in gaming laptops and that reason is not going away anytime soon. Sure you could integrate powerful graphics processing onto a motherboard and shut down aspects of it when not required, but is that basically not the same principle as discrete? Except on failure, you are replacing the entire mobo rather then a discrete component. Power requirements and battery technology are the main culprits and those issues are not going away anytime soon.

With every advancement in APU/GPU technology, games become that much more demanding, feeding the viscous cycle. While your theory is indeed viable, it is a long way off. Probably closer to the realm of crystal or organic computing. We are rapidly approaching the limits of silicon, 5nm is probably about it. They have been able to manipulate and go smaller but there is a major cost in performance. Crystal and/or organic with be the future, that's when your dream will come true my friend.
    Integrated graphics aren't on the motherboard anymore.  They're in the same chip as the CPU, and that's generally how it has been since 2011.