Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Skyrim Sold Me On Elder Scrolls Online - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    This is heresy in some parts of the internet.

But, I thought the scripted AI, the quests, the dungeons, the RPG aspects of Oblivion were all vastly superior to Skyrim

Also, they spouted off "custom dungeons in Skyrim! HAND MADE!"...but each dungeon/interior looked like a clone of the other, with some differences. Oblivion was all pre-made dungeons made by a program or something, but they had more flavor, were larger and more open than any Skyrim dungeon I went into.

Their hand made dungeons in Skyrim were vastly worse than the computer generated ones in Oblivion

However, Skyrim with a ton of mods added is amazing and easier to mod than Oblivion. Oblivion was so annoying to mod I never want to do it again. But, speaking of vanilla vs vanilla, Oblivion is far superior than Skyrim.

Morrowind was amazing, but then I got a no fog mod or maybe it was a console command, and it forever ruined Morrowind for me by how small it was lol.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm so tired of Skyrim that those regions of ESO are by far my least favorites. Maybe it's the half-wit drunken Nords that all sound like extras from the movie Fargo.

Rumor has it that the next SP ES game will take place in Valenwood. Wood elf lore and the forest setting... now, that's something to look forward to.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LadyLindaLadyLinda Member CommonPosts: 1
    Played and finished Skyrim, loved it. Then ESO came out, and after some reservations absolutely LOVED it, best game ever. Then Skyrim v Elder Scrolls came out......can't stop playing it! Went back to ESO when new DLC and special event quests came out, but can't get back into it! I find the other players can be annoying. Plus, the updated graphics and atmosphere of the new Skyrim are brilliant, the quests feel fresh, and I'm so happy that I still have hours and hours of gameplay left as I LOVE the game!
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I wanted to love ESO, no doubt about it, but it's just so, "crap" is the word I want to use but that's probably unfair. Let's just say if fails to hold my attention.

Skyrim, on the other hand, I still enjoy playing.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Honestly this article is way off base. TESO is so vastly inferior, that playing Skyrim beforehand will only set you up for disappointment, as countless fans have expressed.

Absolutely Agree
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Skyrim is what put me off ESO in the first place.
    It took me years to get over the fact ESO wasn't Skyrim Online.
    Finally I can enjoy ESO for what it is, a decent MMO which is never going to be as good as Skyrim, but it is fun enough.

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Iselin said:
    I'm so tired of Skyrim that those regions of ESO are by far my least favorites. Maybe it's the half-wit drunken Nords that all sound like extras from the movie Fargo.

Rumor has it that the next SP ES game will take place in Valenwood. Wood elf lore and the forest setting... now, that's something to look forward to.
    That would make my day. The strong sense of wanderlust that the Elders Scrolls games fill me with is unparalleled by any other gaming experience I've had... I would be nice to feel that again some day soon.
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    LOL!

"ESO is now more interesting than Skyrim to me, because I've played Skyrim since 2011 and am getting bored of it in 2016."

HAHA

Thanks for the laugh. This piece of analytic journalism has concluded that a single player game played for a thousand hours can eventually start to feel less interesting than it did initially. Well done.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    ESO is mess, they should done new SP elder scroll with modding.
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Played Skyrim, but did not last long, cause I prefer that the characters around me are actual people, than NPCs.

In fact ever since I picked up my very first MMORPG, singleplayer games have been impossible for me to get engaged in.

And ESO.
    ESO is that game I flirt with, that gets me all moist, while my old and wrinkled WoW just, well does what ever. But I cant chose between the two, cause old and known is good too and I stay faithful despite the signs of extreme decay and weirdness. 

But ESO, man, ESO makes love to my eyes all the time.  I deeply desire it, want it, its... precious...
     I ... cant... resist.. it.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Gorwe said:
    ...but what if you don't care about Skyrim?
    Won't affect how you feel about ESO honestly, as the two games could not be more different, if anything it helps if you go into ESO not expecting it to be like Skyrim, that way you are less likely to be disappointed, ESO is not a bad game, but its not Skyrim, its not like any other Elder Scrolls game really, in much the same way that league of legends is not like world of warcraft, your more likely to enjoy the one, if you are not expecting it to be like the other. :o
  • MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143
    So, basically, you are saying that un-modded Skyrim looks so bad (even after remastering!) that you prefer ESO over it (even though visually it's far-far away from perfection).
    And for a story driven game like ESO phrase "And some of the storylines are really good!" is not a complement either.
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    I play ESO but I hate the guild system with a passion. It does nothing for guild loyalty ( exactly the opposite in fact ) and does nothing for those Skyrim players that want to experience the solo side of the game. If you are not in a trade guild then you are only playing half a game really. There are a wealth of players out there that Zenimax are missing out on because they continue to force people into this system and imo will miss out on those potential players until they implement a global AH which they should have included with One Tamriel. Either that or fix the group mechanics that still suck.
  • SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I do enjoy playing ESO, loved Skyrim and would marry Oblivion if I could.....

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• Darkonflare15Darkonflare15 Member UncommonPosts: 14

Stuka1000 said:

I play ESO but I hate the guild system with a passion. It does nothing for guild loyalty ( exactly the opposite in fact ) and does nothing for those Skyrim players that want to experience the solo side of the game. If you are not in a trade guild then you are only playing half a game really. There are a wealth of players out there that Zenimax are missing out on because they continue to force people into this system and imo will miss out on those potential players until they implement a global AH which they should have included with One Tamriel. Either that or fix the group mechanics that still suck.

You can make money without selling in the guild stores. It pretty easy to get a lot gold from just playing the game.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited January 2017

ESO feels like an empty husk of a world. Yeah it seems busy with all the people running around and whatnot. The game is still extremely bland. The world is depressing, and everything revolves around combat.

It never grabs me like the true ES games, where you can just wander and stumble upon treasures or traps, and meet interesting characters.

Bland compared to what MMO because literally if you go by just "assets" ESO has poured tons of money into designing artwork and the zones themselves. Every zone has unique looking flora, architecture, creatures, and this includes inside all the dungeons/buildings. If I go underground in a desert zone, it looks like I am in a desert cave, or an egyptian tomb killing desert monsters, if I am in Skyrim, it's a Draugr crypt or an ice cave with polar bears. If I am in a jungle, there is vines, palm trees, mushrooms, aztec looking architecture. There is seriously the least amount of recycled content, models, and assets in ESO than any MMO i've played. There is also a justice system, and a complete skill line for thieving, laundering, and pickpocketing. Guild DLC which changes the gameplay of your character by teaching you new abilities and skill-lines such as one hit kill assassinations. SO much better seeing improvements like this, then "MORE DUNGEONS!" "MORE RAIDS!" Same stuff, different day.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I agree with the article. The writer described perfectly why I didn't like ESO when it launched. And after One Tamriel it changed so much for the better. We are having a lot of fun with ESO atm. My friends were a bit overwhelmed at first by the whole concept of go wherever you want to go, but now they love it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Stuka1000 said:
    I agree. ESO has morphed the guild concept into something different and not in a good way. The millions of gold needed to have a chance at securing a stall in a good, high traffic area, the resulting need to ask for weekly contributions from members, and the total focus on trading make it so it's more of an accident than the norm when guild mates from those trading guilds do anything guild-like together.

Add the fact that you can belong to 5 guilds at once and any semblance of the original purpose of guilds as tight groups of friends that play together goes out the window.

I guess the technical problems associated with having an AH in a megaserver game forced them to go a different way. But the impact of that decision on the concept of guilds has been pretty bad. It's something that definitely could be improved.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited January 2017

Iselin said:

Skyrim had such a great atmosphere and it was the most fitting for a Dragonborn. It felt so right in the sense of your purpose and fantasy. I cannot imagine a dragonborn-esque vision in the setting within Valenwood, nor do I care much for the wood elf lore but time will tell. (Of course the protagonist doesn't have to be Dragonborn.)

Countless hours spent in Skyrim and Oblivion. Perhaps the next TES game can be within the region of orcs, redguard and breton. As it is more diverse of culture & story than it is with the wood elves especially considering the hostilities once held with the three races.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    edited January 2017
    I can't agree with the premise of this article. ESO is STILL only Skyrim like in the the skins it uses for the world. The world itself does not feel like Skyrim. Yes, ESO is an MMO and as such it has certain things it has to do to conform to that genre. Unfortunately, in doing so it has to strip away all of the things that make Skyrim unique. In ESO, for example, you can not feel that YOU are the one making a difference as you do in Skyrim. ESO has to pander to you by saying things in dialogue that you are but when you see everyone else running around doing the same quests you also see you really aren't unique.

Now, while I pan the idea that ESO is at all Skyrim-like, I do think it has become a solid MMO. If you like the things that MMO's do then you can forgive ESO for not being more Skyrim-like.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    I was one of the first testers into that game and was a harsh critic of it. When the NDA lifted I was everywhere, including here, telling people to avoid the game as it wasnt Elder Scrolls in any way shape or form. And at best was a generic hack and slash with familiar names. I didnt even buy it when it came out. I bought it a couple Decembers ago right before it went F2P and when they had a great deal. I played for a couple months as it was much improved but still not that good. I recently went back and its much better again but still has a ways to go. The housing which some people saw as a transformation period is actually IMO going to set the game back.

Way too generic and dead feeling. I still think the world and towns and cities feel 'alive'. There are mobs everywhere and anyone that goes out harvesting knows what a pain in the ass they are.

Combat still pretty generic and they have tried to pigeon hole classes into the typical cookie cutter builds every game has through nerfs and changes and buffs. So the 'play it your way' or whatever the motto is isnt that so much.

Still dont like the AH and selling system and they had a chance to 'fix' that with housing. But no changes (as of yet) in regards to allowing people to sell from their houses (individually). But at this point I dont think paying for a guild AH stall is worth it.

But some of that is personal opinion obviously.

But with stealing and pickpocketing you can make all the money you need (until houses officially release) even with the limits. But that is more of a grindy proactive way to make money rather than throwing crap on an AH and hoping someone buys it.

The world itself though is pretty awesome. The only 'negative' to the One Tamriel change was they main story and then getting lost in the race stories. So while it offers more 'freedom' it can get you out of position and you do things out of order. I think they should have locked the racial stories and made doing those in order a pre requisite.

World balance is a little jacked up too. Lower level characters are much stronger than ones that are still leveling. I have a 50 *120 and he has a much harder time than my level 14 alt. with similar skills and all the champ points. And obviously 'worse' gear. But that 'balancing' is what skews it.

Not sure how it changes once you max out and max gear but at that point I dont think its about open world anymore other than maybe grinding dolmans which is a zerg where you can have a blank skill bar and be naked.
  • NorrthmanNorrthman Member UncommonPosts: 16
    The biggest problem between me and ESO is that the game doesn't like me. If I don't run all the time and stop for looking into my inventory - it kicks me out after one minute. My old Skyrim with all hundreds of mods is similar, crashing quite often but still I play it. And I play ESO but I don't understand why they must kick players so quickly out - even they are not afk. That is why my eyes are on the eastern horizon and  their promising colourful flight simulators like Moonlight Blade. I hope they are not kicking me when arrive. And of course the newest Skyrim again when skse has arrived. But no kicking anymore.
  • pgdeanerpgdeaner Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Almost convinced me to try it again. When I try to go to the account page I get this: The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.

Your support ID is: 15277477880092138551

Oh well.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I just love modded Skyrim
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    edited January 2017
    I will only play ESO if they choo choo.