Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF game similar to EQ2, any suggestions

l0t3kl0t3k Member UncommonPosts: 4
Hello all,

I am looking for a game that is similar to EQ2. I know EQ2 is F2P so I can always just play that but I am looking for something different.

Things I am looking for:

1. Good Community, tired of all these games where the community is toxic and chat is filled with a bunch of smartasses . When i first started playing MMO'S going back 10 or 12 years ago the communities were also tight knit and filled with helpful people.

2. NOT WoW!!! for god sake anything but WoW.

3. Player housing is a plus. Loved EQ2's player and guild housing by far the best housing in any game i have played

4. Something more PVE oriented or at least has PVE servers. I am not a big PVP fan occasionally it is ok and something like guild seiges sound cool but i'm not into games that focus primarily on PVP and i am constantly being ganked.

5. good story. I like a game where the story line draws you in and make you want to continue playing to find out what happens

6. grouping, not something that relies on grouping constantly but maybe something with public dungeons that allow you and other to work together to maybe take down a rare mob.

Games I currently play are ESO and LOTRO off and on

Games I have played are:
Wildstar
Rift
Final Fantasy
Runes of Magic
Project Gorgon
Secret World
Guild Wars 2
WoW (Ughh)

Guess all and all i'm looking for that nostalgic feeling I got back in 2004 when I played my first MMO. It was like I couldn't wait to get home and launch EQ2 Now everything feels so generic I know exactly what to expect from MMO's that get all this hype. I understand there is only so many new and innovative things you can add to a game but I feel like companies now focus on flashy combat and nice graphics that they tend to skimp out on game play and story. Same thing with movies now and days the CGI is amazing but the plots are complete shit.

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Good community on first place, also player housing, PvE, story focus, grouping... that's LotRO :wink:  oh wait you already play it.
    Runner-ups maybe Rift and Wildstar, though can't vouch for the community part, haven't played them a while. Hmm, already on the list as well.
    Great community, fits to the rest as well, but no housing (except the Museum), TSW. Khm, on the list as well.
    You don't make it easy.... :lol:

AoC? PvE server, good story, plenty of grouping on the field too, and awesome dungeons / raids, no player housing but has guild city building. Community... well... can be toxic, but not that bad... ok, compared to TSW it is really bad :wink: but at least tight-knit, since the population is not really huge.
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Wait for Pantheon.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    The core community in LotR is very good - any server just ask in general chat. They realised a while ago that they need to nurture new people. All servers are PvE. Has housing. Solo stuff + grouped instances early in the game. Has a story! Decent graphics.

You can try it to c. level 20 for free + try some of the grouped content. To progress its a case of sub, buy more content or grind. If you are sufficiently dedicated you can grind the entire game - although that would require serious dedication. 

Not a "fast" game.
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Pantheon.  Sorry that you have to wait.  I play on vanilla wow servers or P99 EQ in the mean time.  Nothing beats nostalgia besides a game like Pantheon that re-creates it in a more modern setting.
  • l0t3kl0t3k Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Po_gg said:
    AoC? PvE server, good story, plenty of grouping on the field too, and awesome dungeons / raids, no player housing but has guild city building. Community... well... can be toxic, but not that bad... ok, compared to TSW it is really bad :wink: but at least tight-knit, since the population is not really huge.

Sounds interesting i may have to give it a look

Katilla said:
    Wait for Pantheon.

I hear a lot about this game.

gervaise1 said:
    You can try it to c. level 20 for free + try some of the grouped content. To progress its a case of sub, buy more content or grind. If you are sufficiently dedicated you can grind the entire game - although that would require serious dedication. 
    Not a "fast" game.

Is the F2P grind really that bad? I'm trying to avoid a sub right now.
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    My suggestion would be SWTOR.
    • Housing similar to LOTRO
    • Solo focused gameplay, but with plenty of group content if you want it.
    • The community is not too toxic.
    • Mostly PvE focused with Battlegrounds and PvP space battles.
    • F2P but can be limiting if you don't sub, but good enough to get a feel for the game.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Get the year sub for EQ2 would be my suggestion.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2017
    l0t3k said:

Is the F2P grind really that bad? I'm trying to avoid a sub right now.
    Depends how you approach it. 

There is no "P2W" aspect - so you don't need to sub and you don't need to buy anything with cash if you don't want to. You will have to earn "game points" however to purchase additional content. 

A subscription doesn't give you access to all content either - the expansion packs would still need to be bought (with cash or in game credit).

And even if you subscribe / purchase content you will still need to "grind" to develop your character traits. (Which are not a big deal until max level basically). Grind basically being a) visiting various places b) killing X mobs c) finding some stuff d) doing some quest chains. There is a lot of killing mobs!

So in a sense grind means playing the game. And there can be a lot of enjoyment in that.

But .....

If you opt not to sub or to buy content then what you will need to do if create multiple characters, eventually on different servers as well. And earn credits on each of those. Then buy new content - which will give you access to new content from which you can earn new credits .... but not enough to buy the next content. So its back to the alts. And so on. So the grind - if you like - comes from repeating the same - probably - low level content. Not as bad as it sounds because its actually a big game but that is the general idea.

A popular option is to buy a bundle at a discount with $$$. So b2p. You can buy it with in game credit as well. Look for the bundles and the discounts. If you don't want to spend make several alts early, save your credits and buy a bundle. Always aim to buy content when its on sale. And if you are not buying a multi-expansion bundle always buy the full expansions not the content only versions. That won't mean anything at the moment but keep it in mind.

https://lotro-wiki.com/

• nerixa248nerixa248 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    My suggestion: Perfect World International
    1. Good Community, tired of all these games where the community is toxic and chat is filled with a bunch of smartasses . When i first started playing MMO'S going back 10 or 12 years ago the communities were also tight knit and filled with helpful people.
    There are many guilds that recruit all level players and lots of high level bored players who likes to help a lot. Most people won't care that you are new to game and don't have a clue what to do in dungeon, they will just teach/show you.

2. NOT WoW!!! for god sake anything but WoW.
    :) it is not WoW

3. Player housing is a plus. Loved EQ2's player and guild housing by far the best housing in any game i have played
    PWI offers housing at lvl 90, even more than that, you get huge land where you can change terrain(make mountains or lakes),  add tons of plants, multiple buildings(make your own village), can decorate inside buildings with furnitures and even build arena in your home to fight with beasts and so on.

4. Something more PVE oriented or at least has PVE servers. I am not a big PVP fan occasionally it is ok and something like guild seiges sound cool but i'm not into games that focus primarily on PVP and i am constantly being ganked.
    PWI removed all their pvp servers, now theres no more pvp servers, but still have arenas, territory wars, nation wars etc.

5. good story. I like a game where the story line draws you in and make you want to continue playing to find out what happens
    The story is a bit chinese type thing, might be a bit difficult at start to get into it, but i love it, some are really fun and there are multiple quest chains with nice story. There are no cutscenes in game though.

6. grouping, not something that relies on grouping constantly but maybe something with public dungeons that allow you and other to work together to maybe take down a rare mob.
    This game does not have public dungeons, but there are daily quests inside dungeons which helps to find friends around your level early on in the game.

The game is quite old, but to me it still looks beautiful with high graphics and devs are still working on it and adding new expansions now and then. But this game is less about the story and more about community and large guild battles.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    SWTOR could be a nice pick.

It's following the "traditional" MMORPG formula, which is what you are looking for judging by the OP.

Compared to WoW and EQ2, it focuses more heavily on the personal story. Playing through the levelling part can be a lot of fun - the little quests you do feel like they actually matter. Unlike most MMOs, I ended up playing SWTOR mainly for the story. The companions have a lot of personality as well, which is a huge plus. If you do end up picking the game up, I highly recommend testing out the various classes. The story differs a lot between them, so it's important to find the right match.

The community should be decent, the conversion to F2P a few years ago did wonders for the overall health of the playerbase.

It has a decent housing system. Similarly to EQ2, it's linked to various parts of the game. You get housing rewards from combat missions and can make the house a functional space.

Most of the content is soloable, with optional group content along the way. With the overhaul of companions a few years ago, your NPC friends are much stronger than they used to be. This means you can solo+companion majority of the game. It's similar to EQ2 in that respect.