Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's Choice Awards - Best New MMO of 2016 a Awards at MMORPG.com

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    All this thread needs is PINK FLUFFY UNICORNS DANCING ON RAINBOWS!!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Nanfoodle said:
    how is The Division a mmo its just a shooter and has group content if you pvp rest of the time you never see another soul
    MMO and MMORPG is two different things. Division fits the model of MMO.
    500 plus users online in a single persistent world, or anything remotely close? 

If not can't be called massively multiplayer.

Unless you meant minimally multiplayer?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NeofolisNeofolis Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I voted Blade & Soul. It's not great, but it is playable for a while. I reaslly wanted to like BDO, the game world is beautiful, the character creation is great, but the gameplay is so clunky and didn't grip me at all. I preferred Riders of Icarus to BDO, but that wasn't able to hold my attention either. Most of these games just have something missing and end up being boring. It doesn't look like there is much on the Horizon that really makes me think things are going to get a lot better. Bless looks great, but so did BDO, I just hope it plays better.
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    Ok, so five of your games are Korean Games that each had at least 2 - 3 years of testing before a release. One of those games are still Early Access Phase on Steam, and then you have four games that are not even MMOs, with one of them explicitly telling you on the site that its a third person multiplayer shooter. We then have an Aeria Games title.. you know... the people who are responsible for shutting down 26 games (read the wikipedia page on Aeria Games).

I can clearly see you didn't think before making this list. 
    None of these games get my vote because I can legitimately argue why in a decently ran universe why each game on that list would be disqualified from being an entry.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited January 2017
    Sad list. 
    Post edited by d_20 on

Shinami said:
    Ok, so five of your games are Korean Games that each had at least 2 - 3 years of testing before a release. One of those games are still Early Access Phase on Steam, and then you have four games that are not even MMOs, with one of them explicitly telling you on the site that its a third person multiplayer shooter. We then have an Aeria Games title.. you know... the people who are responsible for shutting down 26 games (read the wikipedia page on Aeria Games).

I can clearly see you didn't think before making this list. 
    None of these games get my vote because I can legitimately argue why in a decently ran universe why each game on that list would be disqualified from being an entry.

Shhhh...if none of the above is your choice the editor's want you to abstain and go away quietly.

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    This is " Fake players choice awards " , How can you post all the games listed and not include console games. Your web site has decided to enclude console games along with regular PC games. I am boy cotting and will not attend this non ligite poll.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited January 2017
    Elsabolts said:
    This is " Fake players choice awards " , How can you post all the games listed and not include console games. Your web site has decided to enclude console games along with regular PC games. I am boy cotting and will not attend this non ligite poll.
    Erm...what MMORPGs were launched exclusively on console in 2016?  O.o

The poll isn't about ALL games released in 2016, just MMORPGs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
    Elsabolts said:

My point  is consoles should not be included in any mmorpg here. They do not come close to what you can do on a PC.
                                            MAGA
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Unbelievable, only on this website do we have members that can turn a simple poll into an endless back and forth of whining, semantics, ' feeling left out,' not to mention some more disturbing options etc. Its a frigging poll, can't find an option you like? Well hell, the poll isn't for you then. Christ, how hard is it to not be an ass about it?

Also, the discussion about what is or isn't an MMO(RPG) has been had and also decided by the staff of this website. Don't agree? We all know by now, the horse has been dead, buried, resurrected, burned and buried again, reincarnated but banished and buried again again again again. Just take it somewhere else, it is derailing and contributes nothing to anything.

As for the poll, I didn't vote, there was no great MMO for me last year that was on the list. See how easy that was?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Elsabolts said:
    SBFord said:
    Elsabolts said:

My point  is consoles should not be included in any mmorpg here. They do not come close to what you can do on a PC.
    Reverse the argument then: There are a lot of great MMOs on console -- ESO, Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, DCUO, etc. Why shouldn't they be included if they are viably played via console?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
    Elsabolts said:
    SBFord said:
    Elsabolts said:

Reverse the argument then: There are a lot of great MMOs on console -- ESO, Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, DCUO, etc. Why shouldn't they be included if they are viably played via console?

They are dumbed down and resolutions are not great. They take away time and effort that could be used to add content and updated expansions by Devs.
                                            MAGA
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    In 2010 you could vote for None of the Above for best new game and it won the category.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/awards/2010-awards-best-new-game-1000004864
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Shaigh said:
    In 2010 you could vote for None of the Above for best new game and it won the category.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/awards/2010-awards-best-new-game-1000004864
    True, but we don't want to do that again. Period. I get that we aren't happy with the state of the genre. But that's not something we look to support with an award. It's just not. 

This Friday, an overall MMO poll will begin with 10 nominees chosen by the staff, and an Other category for those who want to write one in.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Elsabolts said:
    SBFord said:
    Elsabolts said:
    SBFord said:
    Elsabolts said:

They are dumbed down and resolutions are not great. They take away time and effort that could be used to add content and updated expansions by Devs.
    Not only is your answer wrong, it is also nonsensical. I'll give you the resolution thing, that is correct.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2017
    Let's look back at IGN's top 9 most anticipated for 21016.
    1 SC lmao are we surprised,still not a finished game.
    2 Tom Clancy's thee Division...this is not a mmo so kind of shows they were stretching to fill the voids.
    3 WOW Legion..an expansion ,not a game but i understand it's popularity.
    4 EQ NExt....ummmm
    5 BDO ..already stated what i think of the game,lacks content ideas,ruined immersion,lol combat.FYI BDO is also a 2014 game released over here not in it's full state and we never gave it a best of back in 2014 either lol.
    6 Crowfall...still not a game,heavily advertised here and will lack content and never be a good game.
    7 Albion ...average old tech game.
    8 Camelot Unchained ...still not a game and again imo will never be very good just average at best.
    9 Warhammer 40k...i can see how it could be fun and i would actually rate this as maybe the best MMO of 2016.

So MOST of these games are either not finished or not MMO's or simply show how lacking 2016 really was.So yeah i can see how BDO could win a vote but imo i would play Warhammer in heartbeat over BDO,having said that i have played BDO and know the game well enough to know i would never go back to it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
       ^^^
    Even a bigger website like IGN struggled to find worthy MMORPGs in 2016, if you exclude all the games that weren't released from that list you are left with The Division, War 40k and.....BDO (Maybe Albion, is it released? Who knows....).
    So you can't really blame MMORPG.com for lack of imagination, as there were very little material to work with in 2016.

As for the lack of "None of the above" option, as I said, this is not a normal Poll, it is an Award, and you give an Award to games, music, movies.....not to a statement.

Can you imagine at the Oscars the presenter introducing the winner of the Best Movie Award?
    "And now the Best Movie Award goes to.......None of the Above. Can we have the supporters of 'None of the Above' to collect the award please?"
    Come on guys let's put things into perspective.

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I voted ... unfortunately. What a grim list.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited January 2017
    So, allowing people to choose a vote of "none of the above" because maybe, just maybe, that's how they genuinely feel, is "feeding into negativity" around here.

Wow.

So this site has officially moved into the realm of dictating what opinions people are allowed to express. "Select from the list of pre-approved options we've chosen for you, or you don't get a vote". 

That's just weak.

It's a poll to find the best game, as others have said; none of the above, is not a game....

That said...Not voting at all is the same as saying none of the above... How hard is it to abstain? That's a word for a reason you know?

As for expressing an opinion... That's what the comment section is for, a place where you can explain your decision to abstain from the vote. As you can see though, it's not a place where you can grandstand on and on about how you'd run a game of the year poll... 

Post edited by Distopia on

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    So, allowing people to choose a vote of "none of the above" because maybe, just maybe, that's how they genuinely feel, is "feeding into negativity" around here.

Wow.

So this site has officially moved into the realm of dictating what opinions people are allowed to express. "Select from the list of pre-approved options we've chosen for you, or you don't get a vote". 

That's just weak.

It's a poll to find the best game, as others have said none of the above is not a game....

That said...Not voting at all is the same as saying none of the above... How hard is it to abstain? That's a word for a reason you know?

As for expressing an opinion... That's what the comment section is for, a place where you can explain your decision to abstain from the vote. As you can see though, it's not a place where you can grand stand on and on about how you'd run a game of the year poll... 

Normally when someone formally votes an abstain it is recorded somewhere.

In the next poll they are providing an other category and I recommend anyone who wants to abstain or go for none of the above to choose it, even without comment if desired.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Make a "worst of 2016" poll, maybe that will calm down the people that feel that a "best of" poll doesn't reflect the negativity that was 2016 for mmorpgs.

edited January 2017
    ste2000 said:
       ^^^
    Even a bigger website like IGN struggled to find worthy MMORPGs in 2016, if you exclude all the games that weren't released from that list you are left with The Division, War 40k and.....BDO (Maybe Albion, is it released? Who knows....).
    So you can't really blame MMORPG.com for lack of imagination, as there were very little material to work with in 2016.

As for the lack of "None of the above" option, as I said, this is not a normal Poll, it is an Award, and you give an Award to games, music, movies.....not to a statement.

Can you imagine at the Oscars the presenter introducing the winner of the Best Movie Award?
    "And now the Best Movie Award goes to.......None of the Above. Can we have the supporters of 'None of the Above' to collect the award please?"
    Come on guys let's put things into perspective.

Invalid argument. Even if none of the above was the top vote getter the award winner would be the actual person or game which received the most votes.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Just shows how weak the Western MMO Scene is.

LMAO
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kyleran said:

Invalid argument. Even if none of the above was the top vote getter the award winner would be the actual person or game which received the most votes.
    Yet I think Bill is right about this, all that really does is shower the poll and it's results in negativity. I don't think that would be fair to the winner of the award. Which companies do use things such as this as promotional material (like it or not, it helps both the game and MMORPG.com as far as spreading awareness/recognition).

There's no real point in having the award if the results show 80% more people would vote against the winner. Rather than simply bow out because nothing they like was represented. As the point is to reward which ever game was viewed as the best effort of the year.  

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Tough choice between Black Desert and The Division, but BDO wins it overall.