Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need your help finding an mmo

whitevvolfwhitevvolf Member UncommonPosts: 6
edited January 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I am looking to start playing another mmo. I have time at the moment and miss the greater picture of mmo's. BUT, I must be picky because I can't find one that I am happy with.  My background in mmo's is SWG, Age of Conan, Rift, LOTRO, Runes of Magic, Guild wars. etc. All the mmo's i can't find as of late all seem to be heavily Asian influenced. I know most are to some point but is there anything out there that isn't so much anime induced? Black desert for one is so good on many things but I feel like I am playing dead or alive. The armor doesn't even change look when you equip new stuff?? I mean WTF. Anyway, maybe I just need to pick up an old game and try to get back into it. But if anyone can direct me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks. 
Post edited by whitevvolf on

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Ever tried WoW? :p
    I mean you must be the only person in the Universe that never played WoW, unless you failed to mention it in your list.
    For veteran players like me WoW lost its charm long time ago, but maybe new players might find it fun.

Alternatively you could try EQ2.

• whitevvolfwhitevvolf Member UncommonPosts: 6
    ste2000 said:
    Ever tried WoW? :p
    I mean you must be the only person in the Universe that never played WoW, unless you failed to mention it in your list.
    For veteran players like me WoW lost its charm long time ago, but maybe new players might find it fun.

Alternatively you could try EQ2.

Yes:) i have played wow, just did not list it as I didn't enjoy it. If you remember right it came out while SWG was still active. A lot of swg players went to wow, i didn't. I stayed. After SWG closed i went to wow and just couldn't do it. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2017
    EQ2 is definitely better than WOW "my opinion of course", i was there when both released and tried both.
    With EQ2 you get basically the same clone but it offers way more.with wow you get an end game where all people want to do is dungeon raids.

In EQ2 you can get a mercenary to fight with you,they are quite strong,think somewhat like a tier 2 player.You get as more complete experience.

Personally i still play the game i enjoy the most,no it  is not as complete as EQ2 but it just does things the way i like with no hand holding or markers anywhere in the game.That would be FFXI,i also play on a EMU server,not nearly as good but no pressure,i can still enjoy the basics.Retail FFXi you can have a whole team of npc's to fight for you,tons of unique classes,tons of fun before you reach the boring Wowish end game of just going for end game loot.

IMO EQ2 is one of the best imo top 5 games of all time,you should try it out but for the most part it is what all clones are made of...linear questing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited January 2017
    Wizardry said:
    EQ2 is definitely better than WOW "my opinion of course", i was there when both released and tried both.
    With EQ2 you get basically the same clone but it offers way more.with wow you get an end game where all people want to do is dungeon raids.

In EQ2 you can get a mercenary to fight with you,they are quite strong,think somewhat like a tier 2 player.You get as more complete experience.

Personally i still play the game i enjoy the most,no it  is not as complete as EQ2 but it just does things the way i like with no hand holding or markers anywhere in the game.That would be FFXI,i also play on a EMU server,not nearly as good but no pressure,i can still enjoy the basics.Retail FFXi you can have a whole team of npc's to fight for you,tons of unique classes,tons of fun before you reach the boring Wowish end game of just going for end game loot.

IMO EQ2 is one of the best imo top 5 games of all time,you should try it out but for the most part it is what all clones are made of...linear questing.

EQ2 is great, it really is i love complexity of it. But, its showing its age. if only somthing like that with todays graphics. i know your thinking wow again lol
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Wizardry said:

EQ2 is great, it really is i love complexity of it. But, its showing its age. if only somthing like that with todays graphics. i know your thinking wow again lol

Actually I'm thinking "don't we all" ;)

I know you said EQ2 was showing its age so this may not be what you're looking for but you may at least look at Project Gorgon. The reason is interesting skills to level up and how it makes you think. It's still in development though and working on systems. This means less graphical fidelity.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    L2, Aion, GW2, ESO, Marvel Heroes.  I enjoyed these for awhile and still play them from time to time, except for GW2 which I play all the time.  I also enjoyed SWG back in the day.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The Secret World.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Anyone know of a sandbox mmo with player housing that isnt instanced?
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Well it seems The Repopulation is coming back relatively soon. Early access deal though. An attempt to capture what made SWG popular.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Have you tried FFXIV yet? It's Asian but not the typical anime theme of many other MMOs. It has the annoying child race but at least they're not creepy and sexualized. Standard WoW combat with interesting class designs. Excellent dungeons and raids.

SWTOR is good. Enjoyable leveling experience with decent dungeons. I haven't played the last few expansions though, so I can't tell you if they're good or not.

If you want to try something oldschool there's a free trial for Istaria (formerly Horizons). It's a midpoint between EQ and WoW with a heavy focus on crafting. Has open world housing for normal races that is very customizable and lairs for dragon characters. 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    It's you, not games.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    AA, but pretty P2W.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Albatroes said:
    AA, but pretty P2W.
    This, you can also try Albion and Shards.

• JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited January 2017
    Well, i don't know what grabs your attention most in mmos but since we come from a similar background i'll tell you three mmos i enjoyed the recent years.

The secret world, SWTOR, Wildstar. Maybe they are not to everyones liking but they are to mine.
    Edit: Oh and DC universe online, this game is fun as hell in short bursts.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I'm a superhero-aholic, so I would recommend DCUO.  You can play it as much as you want for free, but with some limitations, such as only 2 character slots and 6 powersets.  I've always liked this method of F2P, as you can level cap a character, go anywhere not added by an expansion, and really experience the game first hand.  If you like it, sub for three months ($12.95 a month like that) and get to go to all of the zones, use all 14 powersets and have 16 character slots. 

That will take up about 4 months of your time; honestly this is a placeholder for me until Bless Online releases, and that will be a placeholder until City of Titans releases, although if Bless is good I may play both.

This game is available on PC, Xbox One and PS3/4.  I'm playing om my Xbox.  All three worlds have healthy populations though, so whichever you prefer, go for it!  One thing; you cannot transfer between platforms, so anything you earn on PC, for example, cannot be transferred to PS4.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Amathe said:
    The Secret World.
    Agreed, it is different and certainly worth a try.

And there is also FF XIV (while Japan is in Asia they are way closer to the west game wise then South Korea and China are), ESO and GW2. All of those 3 are worth a try as well.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2017
    NO lol Wow is the last game i would think of,if you want better graphics then i highly suggest FFXIV.It can be a  tad rough at first to learn the ropes if you never played a FF game b4 and is not a simply hand holding WoWish follow the yellow markers game either "although yes it  has some yellow  marker quests" but you have other options so leveling might feel awkward but overall just a million times better than Wow.
    BDO is the other  better graphic game along with TESO but i found TESo lacking in all areas,i quit BDO and TESO really fast like within a week fast.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    For western games I would recommend ESO (Elder Scrolls Online).  The best AAA MMO in my opinion and a ton of content, huge population, great graphics, etc. 
  • TarindilTarindil Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Currently playing Rising World.

I highly recommend Rising World. It's like Minecraft on steriods. Also Medieval Engineers. I also do play Lotro and Rift...mainly for the housing, in which Rift is the better of those two.

Bought ESO,  gave it a try first time, meh. Second time it's still clunky, no AH...chat function is not great. No small map so you have to stop and open one. For me it leaves a whole lot to be desired. Graphics are great, but the game itself lacks.
    Most everything that has been mentioned i have played or am waiting to try do to not being released yet. I have not played  FFXIV so maybe i will try that. It feels like a whole lot to ask for just a few things that i think are important in an MMO. Open world housing. Good crafting. Dungeons/raids. Mounts. Maybe a skill based system not a level based system. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    yea .. try FF14

• RatgutRatgut Member CommonPosts: 3
    edited January 2017
    I vote for Crowfall its crafting system is SWG ish

Also keep a lookout for the Repopulation relaunch is SWG ish as well
    Ratgut said:
    I vote for Crowfall its crafting system is SWG ish

Also keep a lookout for the Repopulation relaunch is SWG ish as well
    Crowfall looks promising. As does Albion.