Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Neverwinter? I have played easily 50+ MMORPG's in my time but had always stayed away from NW.

kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
So I thought I drop by here and say hello to you guys and girls and others. My name is Kane and I been playing MMORPG's for well over 15+ Years. Oddly enough I would say NW might be near the top 10? maybe 15 mmorpg's population wise from an educated guess of popularity I hear around the Internet. 

But oddly enough I have never touched the game. I don't even know much about it.

So I thought I drop by and ask some questions. Overall I just want to know what you guys and girls think about Netherwinter? I don't just want to hear negatives I like to hear positives too. So for each Negative you must also make a positive observation. 

Is it Pay 2 Win?

Is the Subscription all you really need? (monthly sub I assume?)

How long does it take normally to max out?

Is there a decent amount of end game content?

Is there interesting mechanics and grinds? Like one my Fav was EQ2 collections going around collecting sparkles :)

Just love to hear from you guys and girls and others.

Thanks and have a wonderful day!

SNIP

Comments

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited January 2017
    A bit outdated info, as I have not played lately.

Interesting classes, but you have to research your build as there is no unpaid respec.

Surpricingly good coop for an action based combat system, some don't like being locked in place but if you can get past that, it is both challenging and tactical and as opposed to so many other fast paced combat systems it has roles .. You know healing, tanking, crowd control, like a proper mmoRpg should have.

It is very much pay2win by my definition, but as always some have different tolerance levels for such. Afaik it is not realistic to reach endgame without some investment.

As for amount of content and up2date stuff better get info from someone who played recently.
    Post edited by kjempff on
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Looks like PWE are on a marketing drive...
  • HalfgrimmHalfgrimm Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Honestly I have extremely fond memories of it. I'm a huge fan of R.A. Salvatore's works and since this mmorpg is based off him I fell in love.
    I have a mid level warlock and he's doing fine but it's been several updates and new contents since I've played due to poor internet connection giving me terrible lag when in a brawl.
    Next week we upgrade our interwebs and I'm returning to Neverwinter.
    Hope to see you there.
    Buried under rocks. Hidden under leaves. Halfgrimm the whole time.
  • HalfgrimmHalfgrimm Member UncommonPosts: 76
    kanechart said:
    So I thought I drop by here and say hello to you guys and girls and others. My name is Kane and I been playing MMORPG's for well over 15+ Years. Oddly enough I would say NW might be near the top 10? maybe 15 mmorpg's population wise from an educated guess of popularity I hear around the Internet. 

But oddly enough I have never touched the game. I don't even know much about it.

So I thought I drop by and ask some questions. Overall I just want to know what you guys and girls think about Netherwinter? I don't just want to hear negatives I like to hear positives too. So for each Negative you must also make a positive observation. 

Is it Pay 2 Win?

Is the Subscription all you really need? (monthly sub I assume?)

How long does it take normally to max out?

Is there a decent amount of end game content?

Is there interesting mechanics and grinds? Like one my Fav was EQ2 collections going around collecting sparkles :)

Just love to hear from you guys and girls and others.

Thanks and have a wonderful day!
    Sparkles?
    Buried under rocks. Hidden under leaves. Halfgrimm the whole time.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I thought it would be terrible. But its actually surprisingly good. Especially if you are D&D and Forgotten realms fan.

Its really casual though. Nothing wrong with that

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    edited January 2017
    From what I remember, you'll be fine if you won't spend any dime for just enjoying PVE contents. Don't expect faster progression tho, unless you willing to open your wallet.

Just stay away from PVP and you won't likely meet the P2W aspects.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    NWO? Its pretty much the most on-the-rails mmo I have ever played and highly p2w. But despite that its quite fun, I find it kind of relaxing to play because you can just turn off and follow the quest trail or do some battlegrounds or mini pve group events (skirmishes I think they are called) to mix things up. 

The combat is pretty well done and engaging, the world has quite a lot of atmosphere (although its all fairly small instanced zones), and the classes are all fun to try out. 
    MrMelGibsond_20
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    If you play casually it's fine. If you want BiS type gear, it's extremely pay to win -- you'd be looking at literally several years to get there without spending cash, while you can skip pretty much all the grind via cash.

That said, the end game is pretty basic and you don't need the best gear to play it. It's in PvP where all the pay to win comes in, since it's all gear based.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Perfect world ....f2p , what could go wrong ? :lol:
    [Deleted User]
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Warlyx said:
    Perfect world ....f2p , what could go wrong ? :lol:
    Just your spending habit. :glasses:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    From early on gameplay the game is fun. Later on, like most f2p models (and many sub models), it becomes very grindy. I enjoyed the game for a while then got very bored with it.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    So first let me tell you this, Much like you i have played every MMO under the sun most recently my go to being Vanilla wow on the Elysium server . I was looking for something to play on the ps4 when  i dont feel like being hunched over the desk. I tried Neverwinter a few nights and it is fantastic, for what i was looking for. Without getting into too much details the best way to sum up neverwinter is a MMO Lite. Its a fun game but if you are looking for a deep expierance with deep exploration look elsewhere. To be honest i couldnt see myself playing this on the desktop but as nightcap when im exhausted and just want to sprawl out on the bed/couch this definitely scratches the itch. 
    d_20
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I really loved NW on both my PC and my PS4, dont remember it having any kind of subscription fee, or a VIP fee. My only complaint about the game was that once my guild moved on and started playing something else it become really tough to play solo at the higher levels when I wanted to kill a few hours. Some of the classes were very fun , like the Warlock and the Ranger. There are some people that still solo the game and say they play it without issue at the higher levels but I couldn't seem to do it without some type of PUG.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    It didn't hold my interest much when I reached max level. If you find a good guild to hang with it would probably make a huge difference. Was able to solo most of the content even as a mage.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited January 2017
    The base gameplay is fantastic had they not gone F2P I could recommend it.  Unfortunately end game is played out in the cash to the tune of huge and never ending amounts of cash to acquire the best gear upgrades.  Sad actually.

What I mean by that is unless you want to spend 20 hours a day for months on end grinding rare mats, your forced to purchase things that increase your chances of success for upgrades and prevent loss of things on fail etc.

Only a true masochist could play this game without the assistance of the cash shop even if your purchasing VIP status ( sub ) it has no bearing on your gear upgrades..  So ultimately its not worth the time investment without a massive cash influx.  We are literally talking hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Should have been a mmo.  
    MrMelGibson
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    If you want action combat D&D with none of heart and soul of the pen and paper version, this is the game for you!
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Its been a couple of years since I played but it had a couple things that were gamebreaking and Im trying to remember what they were......Is this the one that has the chests drop all the time but you had to buy the keys in cash shop with $?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I was in a phase where i wanted to play some different games for awhile.NW was one of those and i played for about close to 2 months.It was sort of neat/cool for the first 2-3 weeks then it slowly got boring as i saw how the entire design was rinse and repeat over each zone.
    I cannot see it holding anyone's interest for more than a couple months tops.

There is something unique about a game i have loved for the last 14 years,it does something no other game developer has been able to do and that is make combat not feel like your handcuffed.Nw is yet another game where combat feels too restricted/handcuffed,so YOUR abilties really don't matter,might as well auto bot your player.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited January 2017
    I had quite a bit of fun with it.  Unfortunately, it is p2w but worse, they had a few monumental exploits that destroyed any fair-playing players' chances of competing ("Caturday" etc).

https://blog.nwo-uncensored.com/exploit-history-caturday/

This drove a lot of people including myself away from the game, which is a shame because the combat made pvp actually tons of fun (aside from balance issues).

PVE it's about as linear as possible, and endgame it's kind of a joke as you just wipe out whole dungeons with aoe.

BUT all that being said it's got some charm to it and like I said despite the issues I had fun with the game for some months.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Ultimately it's a very cheaply made game, very little new content, full of bugs, with no real end game and no class balancing. I think it's fun enough to play now and then but it uses every last free to play trick in the book to keep people paying to avoid grind (and absolutely everything is grind/rng based). There's nothing hard at end game because they want to appeal to casual players, so the only end game is endless gear grind with no content to match it.
    Gdemami
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'd say it's an experience worth having but not sticking with.  It is on rails, the quests are good and the game supported player made quests, some of which were very well done.  I played it when it came out for about a year but the novelty of the game soon wore out.  Combat was ok, kinda arcade like.  You can solo most content but it was slightly geared more for groups if I remember correctly.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    edited January 2017
    Good combat, in fact one of the best out there.
    Good game if you just want to play semi-casually

.......and that's it for the pro's.

Now to get anywhere in the game, you have 2 options:

1. Spend money - and quite a bit of it - to get your character up to the item level that will stop you getting completely ignored by the elitist wallet warriors, who might then actually invite you to upper group content.
    or
    2. Have an extended lifespan, playing the game near 24/7, and your character's item level with rise - but it'll never catch up as Cryptic continually raise the bar to carry on bleeding the sucked in souls

Your choice
  • huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    From what I remember, you'll be fine if you won't spend any dime for just enjoying PVE contents. Don't expect faster progression tho, unless you willing to open your wallet.

Just stay away from PVP and you won't likely meet the P2W aspects.
    There called boons and PVP Gear. You toast if you dont possess either one. It was fun when i pvped. It was a great way to earn xp too. buy vip you will  get a key a day . 

Edgar F Greenwood

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Leveling is extremely fast when you buy those xp potions.  But they also have double and I think triple xp weekends and specials that drop those and allow you to level just as quick.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey