Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Star Citizen REALLY exist?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
I log on to Star Citizen, and think "this is such vaporware, the game doesn't exist". I play the FPS module that came out, but is it like the matrix and all in my head?

I then decide to check out space in the online mode, and I see other people and can fly in a large game area (larger in my mind than most alpha game worlds are). Yet, this game is vaporware! I must have been drugged or hooked up to a machine making me think Star Citizen really exists. Because from reading so many posts here, I realized there is no game. There is no FPS module, there is nothing that exists as a game.

That means, either I am a lunatic and imagining things all in my head, or that I am in some kind of Matrix and its all not real. I try my best to make Star Citizen disappear from my mind, but sadly I can't bend the spoon and do as I wish. 

I know there is no game from reading these forums, its all vaporware, yet when I hop on Star Citizen...there is a game? I am really freaked out, as I need to see reality. I need to see the truth that there is nothing there. I need to beat the system of Matrix and escape this false reality and see the truth. Maybe the truth is, earth doesn't even exist or is taken over by aliens making each person see what they want to see. I truly want to see Star Citizen exist, so these aliens put a program to make sure I can play Star Citizen. To trick me into believing what is not true.

These forums are a doorway to reality, and everyone saying there is no game, are the ones in the real world. But here I am, in a matrix-style place, stuck here, able to play Star Citizen. Maybe I am an AI too and not even human? Maybe I'm a computer and I see what I am programmed to see.

One day I hope I can see reality and see the truth. Till then I'll enjoy playing Star Citizen, even knowing its vaporware and there is nothing to actually play.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    Wait are we living on the Matrix after all? 
    Darn it.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    httpiimgurcom7eELYgif

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    There is no game. It's all pre-rendered. Whenever you press a key, the so called game just plays the right movie in the background. A lot like Dragon's Lair really.
    Think about it, why else would you need a 100GB client? It's there to store all the video data.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Well, Star Citizen as is, is very basic gameplay and does not reflect 5years with a budget of $140m+.
    The systems that need to be implemented to get just a fraction of the star citizen experience as planned are very complex in it's nature.
    What you see now is the easy stuff with some nice ideas and expensive models though.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Did it launch yet?

Get back to me when it does.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Well, Star Citizen as is, is very basic gameplay and does not reflect 5years with a budget of $140m+.
    The systems that need to be implemented to get just a fraction of the star citizen experience as planned are very complex in it's nature.
    What you see now is the easy stuff with some nice ideas and expensive models though.
    Don't forget they spent a bunch of money on Voice Acting and Celebs as character models like his wife, so he can live the fantasy of directing a movie instead of making a game.
    edited January 2017
    OMG, a so-called game developer say that the "easy stuff" is the actual gameplay and the base tech of the game working together, from engine rewrites on physics, object systems, 64bit, to the core gameplay elements as FPS, EVA, Dogfighting.

And I here thinking the hard part was the tech and core engine development that will support the game features, not the features themselves. lol

coretex666 said:
    Let the drama begin.
    It will never disappoint! :+1:

I see 5 years..
    I see 140M...
    I see directing a movie instead of a game..

We're all set!
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    MaxBacon said:
    And I here thinking the hard part was the tech and core engine development that will support the game features, not the features themselves. lol
    Well, you thought wrong...who would have thought so...
    edited January 2017
    Gdemami said:
    Well, you thought wrong...who would have thought so...
    :awesome: Surprise! Sarcasm!

Please feel free to show me how are engine and tech dev the easy parts of a game's development. That's a new one for me.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    You're playing a game, but is it "Star Citizen?"
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    What is that they say about sarcasm again? :D I shouldn't really be calling the kettle black though . . .
    While obviously not vaporware I and many others do obviously have doubts about this game. Time will tell though. I'm just calling told you so rights in advance :P
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    You don't play Star Citizen, it plays you...........

Am I right, am I, come on high fives all round, anyone? What no one, your all gonna leave me hanging......

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    edited January 2017
    Probably due to the fact that the game is very technically detailed. Highly detailed ship models, functionality, themes, flight models. Lots and lots of code. Lots and lots of bugs. And not to forget a single player campaign that's not as high in public view as the multiplayer related news.

It all creates a perception in people's mind that causes them to see either the development progressing at a snails pace, or a patient process of cutting a diamond with detailed precision. Imo I think both are valid views, it just comes down to whether you appreciate the way the development team is approaching the... Er... Development.

In any case, I want to play the game, but I'm fine with letting it fall off my radar for many months at a time until I feel like catching up with the progress again. If I had the time to be so obsessed that I checked for updates every day. I'd have no life living in my parents basement while going insane.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    It does, but by the time it is ready I suspect humanity might have already invented warp drive or other FTL options
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Another fantastic SC thread.

Yawn...

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Blaaa, Blaaa, Blaaa,

There's no place like home.  There's no place like home.  There's no place like home.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    MaxBacon said:
    OMG, a so-called game developer say that the "easy stuff" is the actual gameplay and the base tech of the game working together, from engine rewrites on physics, object systems, 64bit, to the core gameplay elements as FPS, EVA, Dogfighting.

[...]
    Yeah nice but that doesn't help if nothing in the actual playable version is showing off this new tech, it's all basic stuff without deep gameplay or loops.
    There is not a single part in this game that is running smoothly which is the result of tacking together parts.
    It feels and plays like asking a lumberjack to assemble a nano chip.
    And don't say "but ... Alpha" - no it's not an Alpha it is a pre-Alpha and will be as long as they didn't decide what to put in the release version (MVP). In the whole gaming history there was only ONE game that was in pre-Alpha for over 4 years and this one was not "gonna leave a mark!"

And it won't get better if they don't decide to clean up their Frankenengine mess - with every gameplay they want to implement the complexity of the resulting code multiplies.

With all their wanted gameplay systems at the current rate look forward to a release in 20+ years and don't forget to buy a concept art to support it.

My best guess is that they'll tack together what they have to create a watered down 3.0 Version, release it and call it MVP somewhen mid 2018.

But if you decided for your self that after 5 years, millions of $$$ and countless manhours you are ok with the result then kudos to you, keep ignoring the red flags and shady marketing practices (which lets EA shine in a new splendor)

*mic drop*

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

edited January 2017
    Yeah nice but that doesn't help if nothing in the actual playable version is showing off this new tech, it's all basic stuff without deep gameplay or loops.
    *mic drop*
    That is irrelevant to the fact you can't state what they have done till now is the easy part. That is a big height on tech development that includes big engine rewrites, some released, other's partially released and others to come.

What they have done till now and continue doing on other pieces of tech and smoothing out of the existent ones, IS the hard part.

*picks your mic and drops it again*

But if you decided for your self that after 5 years, millions of $$$ and countless manhours you are ok with the result then kudos to you, keep ignoring the red flags and shady marketing practices
    And of course ending the post with the typical stuff to deraill the discussion with, don't we have enough of that on <any other thread on this forum>? 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited January 2017
    Shoko_Lied said:
    Probably due to the fact that the game is very technically detailed. Highly detailed ship models, functionality, themes, flight models. Lots and lots of code. Lots and lots of bugs. And not to forget a single player campaign that's not as high in public view as the multiplayer related news.
    No, not really.

It is a masterful marketing presenting menial, ordinary dev wrok as something spectacular. It is something any dev studio goes through, they just do no talk about is as much.

The difficult part about SC development is attrocious "module" lackluster and purchase of assets(tech). Middleware is notoriously bad for scaling and customization but entire development was submited to marketing purposes. I am not saying it's necessarily bad thing but imo it wasn't done right and in mixture with feature creep, number of issues rise exponentially.

Neither of that are truly technical difficulties, rather management/design issue.

For the perspective, there is plenty you can do with just free tools avaiable. Made by single person:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l28KDuRrPYU
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I still think they took everyones money and bought their own island
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    It exists as part of an LLC, so when it fails to deliver and people want to sue, there will not be anything to get.

That is the "limited" part of limited liability company: you can only sue for the value of company assets, and the typical value of failed tech start ups is practically nothing.

So, SC exists on paper, if no where else.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    The concept certainly exists :)

In a way, (the final version of) Star Citizen will never exist beyond that - because it's going to be under development even after release and until it (potentially) shuts down.

That said, what you're playing right now is more a proof of concept than anything else. To me, it's highly effective evidence - but not quite "proof" just yet.

Personally, I expect 3.0 to prove the concept to most people who're capable of having an open mind.

However, most of the ignorant drama queens around here will continue to make noise until well after release, so you can expect to be playing that "expensive JPEGs game" forever, if you pay attention to those guys.

To be fair, however, I'm sure there's going to be a fair amount of fans that will keep ignoring the inevitable flaws and issues with the game as well.

Such is the way things work on the Internet.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    You know when a thread has delivered once the namecalling and insults start to fly.

Well done OP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    More like 95% of threads on the Internet with more than one participant.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Kyleran said:
    Did it launch yet?

Get back to me when it does.
    facts. I don't care anymore until they launch the damn game some time soon after 2025.

stop hyping up alpha builds..
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

This discussion has been closed.