Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In case you wanted a demonstration of why rushed patches are dangerous:

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
Yesterday, a glitch showed up where zones would crash a lot.  On average, every half hour or so, you'd get disconnected.  My guess is that something was rebooting, as it would take about a minute or so for the zone to let you back in.  There was also a mild rollback of perhaps tens of seconds of lost gameplay, which is consistent with a crash.

This is obviously the sort of bug that games need to fix, and quickly.  So last night, they pushed out a patch that fixed the problem.  And created a new one:  if you go into certain zones, you get disconnected with a "CommanderLoadFail" error message and sent back to the server selection screen.  If you're in a zone with multiple channels, you can pick a different channel and carry on.  If the zone only has one channel, you can't log on as that character.

I'd be surprised if they don't fix this tonight, as they're good about fixing game-breaking things quickly.  But it probably wouldn't have happened if last night's emergency fix wasn't rushed out.  I don't blame them for rushing, but this sort of thing is why it's dangerous.

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    It might be dangerous but not fixing it ASAP could create even bigger problems.
    So I guess that's a risk that every developer would take,.these are actually called Hot Fixes because they are urgent not planned patches.
    I witnessed  nightmare scenarios with SoE taking their time fixing bad patches for then having to roll back hours (in one case even a whole day) of game play pissing the whole player base off.

I do agree though that they should take their time to fix the issues properly, for that reason I believe Devs should bring the Servers down until they are sure the patch is working smoothly.
    But most players have no patience and they will start bitching about the Servers being down.
    Devs can never win.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Actually this is why you roll back patches rather than doing bad patch after bad patch.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    centkin said:
    Actually this is why you roll back patches rather than doing bad patch after bad patch.
    The start of the crashing did not coincide with a patch being pushed live, so they don't have a known good state to roll back to.